1965 356SC vin ,trunk and door numbers

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

1965 356SC vin ,trunk and door numbers

Post by tangerineT »

Hello all

I've not started my 356sc restoration yet but I have been giving the old girl a good looking over

I've been looking for vin numbers on the panels to see if I could verify they're original to my car. I've been to my lock up a few times armed with various lamps and mirrors but until today hadnt seen anything until I found the vin number stamped clearly in the rh a post and the last 2 digits of my vin on the lh and rh doors

I was a little surprised to find the door numbers quite close to the bottom of the doors as I'd been looking near to where the door handles go

I'm now looking for trunk and engine lid numbers so can anyone please suggest where I ought to be looking

Also are 65 cars karmann built ?

Thanks Matthew
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 1965 356SC vin ,trunk and door numbers

Post by Kneeslider »

Hi there Matthew.

Does your VIN begin with a 2 or a 1 something? Usually Karmann built cars start with a 2 but I could be wrong! Mine is a Karmann. The coachbuilder should also be stated on the VIN plate affixed to the aluminium A pillar trim finisher on the driver's side. Of course the main VIN stamping is in front of the fuel tank, on the cross member. There are a couple of other Karmann tell tales, like the plugged holes at the bottom of the rear seat floor areas, and the drain holes beneath the rear quarter windows, which are hidden by rubbers. The real experts will probably tell you that there are more.

My hood is marked with the last two digits of the VIN on the inside of the vertical part of the LHS hinge, if that makes sense?

My decklid panel isn't actually marked, but the striker part of the latch is, again with the last two VIN digits.

I never did find evidence of any stamping on the A post, but unfortunately, when the car was at the painters in bare metal I didn't get to see it.

You aren't too far away from me (I'm in the very bottom part of East Yorkshire) so maybe I could be of some assistance?
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

Thanks

That's handy to know that I should also be looking at the striker on my engine lid (assuming it's in one of the boxes of small parts)

I've looked all over the hinge area on the hood but I cant see anything .

The cars vin does start with a 2 but as I dont have the hinge cover plates I'm also missing the builder info hence wondering if its karmann built

It does sound like you're pretty local . I'm 20 mins from lincoln

Re the hood stamping ,are you suggesting it's on the hinge or on the vertical plate that accepts the hinge bolts? Do I need to unbolt the hinge to see it?

Thanks Matthew
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

Ps .mines a 65 sc originally slate grey .I wonder how far off we are in vin no.... I'll PM you if interested
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

Thank you . That's very helpful and has given a few extra places I could look for numbers like the bumper brackets etc.. I still cant find engine lid or hood numbers though .. The door numbers are on my doors but not where these images suggest and it was just by luck that I saw them

Maybe the factory got lazy with the last few cars?

Still looking if anyone knows of different vin stamping on the late sc cars
six for frog
DDK Newbie

Post by six for frog »

Hello,
On my car (356 C cab April 1965), I have the 3 last numbers of the frame here : in the doors (left and right) and in the two "capots" (engine and luggages).
Sorry but I can not post pictures ????
If somebody can help me ?
Thanks
Volvo Amazon 122 S green for winter (sold)
911 2,4 E coupé 1973 bali blue
911 2,4 S coupé 1973 yellow (sold)
911 2,4 S targa 1973 yellow (sold)
356 C cab 1965 irish green
356 SC coupé meissen blue (sold)
MGB cab 1967 OEW (sold)
MK2 3,8l 1961 black (sold)
six for frog
DDK Newbie

Post by six for frog »

[img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
capot avant bis bis.jpg
Volvo Amazon 122 S green for winter (sold)
911 2,4 E coupé 1973 bali blue
911 2,4 S coupé 1973 yellow (sold)
911 2,4 S targa 1973 yellow (sold)
356 C cab 1965 irish green
356 SC coupé meissen blue (sold)
MGB cab 1967 OEW (sold)
MK2 3,8l 1961 black (sold)