Converting/registering a US 914

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

arbitrate
DDK Fanatic

Converting/registering a US 914

Post by arbitrate »

I’m thinking about buying a 914 in the US and bringing it to the UK. As part of my considerations I’m trying to get my head around what the car will need doing to it in order to register it in the U.K.

From searches on here it looks fairly straightforward - change the headlamps to some RHD 7” units (such as these https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/6017008557?iid=384061729014 ) and ensure the tail lamps are the euro versions with amber indicators. What I’m unsure about are the requirements for sidelights on a car from the 70s. A US spec car will normally have amber “parking” lights visible at the front and the side of the car with the indicators having a twin filament bulb. Is this acceptable to the UK MOT tester?

And from other threads I have gleaned that while an initial MOT is not required it may speed up the process of getting the car registered.

Any other advice or comments gratefully received.
sunflower yellow 1973 914/6 conversion
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Converting/registering a US 914

Post by KS »

You'll need to either convert or swap the front lights so that there is a separate white side light and an amber turn signal. Euro-spec (amber/white) lenses are readily available, but you may need to hunt down a pair of used Euro-spec light housings that feature separate bulb holders – or you can convert the original US ones with a bit of ingenuity to save a few pennies. The wiring also needs to be adapted. It sounds worse than it is but is easy.

Just remove the bulbs from the side marker lights.

At the back, you can use yellow/amber LED bulbs for the run signals, which shine yellow through the all-red US-spec lenses and are MOT friendly.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
arbitrate
DDK Fanatic

Post by arbitrate »

Hi Ks, thanks for the quick reply. For the fronts do you mean something like http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Euro ... 46438.html
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

arbitrate wrote:Hi Ks, thanks for the quick reply. For the fronts do you mean something like http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Euro ... 46438.html
Yes, thats one way of doing it, you can make something up yourself though. I used a bulb holder strip from a mark 1 golf when I converted mine, mind you that was 26 years ago.... I'm sure you could pick something up at an autojumble, when they return, that will do the job.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
carl
DDK addict

Post by carl »

Registration is straight forward. You don't need an MOT or insurance to register!
arbitrate
DDK Fanatic

Post by arbitrate »

Based on the last post on page 5 of this thread it seems like a way to shorten the registration process https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... t&start=60
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

I have just done all of this.
No MOT - did not hold up registration.
Headlamps - switched sealed beams to reflectors with Correctly dipping H4 bulbs.
Front indicators- used these - plug and play- work and look really well- https://www.spokeworksled.com/product-p ... e-pcb-pair
Rears - retained the red lenses as did KS but once again used spokes boards - once again plug and play- I went for round an RS look but you can go square too https://www.spokeworksled.com/product-p ... ttern-pair
Ditto brake boards and reverse - I have all of these on my 911 - great upgrade!!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
KS

Post by KS »

Will just add that DVLA has recently handed over the inspection process for imported cars to a new company who are being VERY thorough. In the past the old company, SGS, only checked imports on a casual and infrequent basis – that seems to not be the case now. Will be interesting to get some up to date first-hand feedback on the process.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

^Uh oh. I’m starting to get a bit worried about registering my 914 EV. Any idea how they will treat a 914 that has a Tesla motor and batteries stuffed into it? If I get an MOT, does that always prevent an inspection?

The car has been an EV for 20 years already. I bought it from California where it was originally converted.
KS

Post by KS »

I very much suspect it will automatically be pulled for inspection and will need to go through IVA. Getting an MOT does NOT prevent inspection - mine was MOT'd but then inspected by SGS.

The fact it was converted in the USA 20 years ago is not relevant, I'm afraid.

I've just run this past the UK's acknowledged expert on all things IVA and await his response...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
KS

Post by KS »

This is his answer: “I've won a Q reg with no test with a car 'proved' to be built pre98 in the States once but it was way back .Recently they have no interest in foreign provenance and the car must be 100% standard to enter Historic as an import / barn find /no identity . MOT is no guarantee of no inspection but may skew the odds a little. Not forgetting the NEW inspection team and that we don't know much about them yet.”
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

^ so if you imported a ‘roller’ from the US and dropped a 6 in it, you’d be in the same predicament?
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

KS wrote:Will just add that DVLA has recently handed over the inspection process for imported cars to a new company who are being VERY thorough. In the past the old company, SGS, only checked imports on a casual and infrequent basis – that seems to not be the case now. Will be interesting to get some up to date first-hand feedback on the process.

Well I'll let you know and write up how it goes next month ish... 73 T w/MFI has been collected...
KS

Post by KS »

Jonny Hart wrote:^ so if you imported a ‘roller’ from the US and dropped a 6 in it, you’d be in the same predicament?
In theory, yes. The safest course of action would be to get it registered as a 'four' then carry out the motor swap.

BTW, if your 914 has Tesla running gear then, as Tesla didn't exist pre-2003, the chances of getting anywhere with so-called 'grandfather rights' would be very slim, even if the car had been converted to EV decades ago. It's the current (no pun intended) conversion which is relevant.

Unless you lie about the motive power ('yes, it's a stock 914...') and keep your fingers crossed they don't ask to inspect the car, the fact that you'll be applying to register it as an EV will flag it up for inspection and IVA.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
arbitrate
DDK Fanatic

Post by arbitrate »

g3ngs2 wrote:Well I'll let you know and write up how it goes next month ish... 73 T w/MFI has been collected...
Any update on this?