Electronic Ignition

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

GonzoBard
DDK addict

Electronic Ignition

Post by GonzoBard »

My ‘66 is standard. What are the benefits of running electronic ignition, is it a useful modification? What are folks running?
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by neilbardsley »

There are different times of electronic ignition.

Stage 1replace your points with some magnetic ones. Never have to replace or set your dwell angle again. Cost about£100.

Stage 2 replace distributor with some think like a 123Ignition unit. Maybe a more stable dwell and programmable curve.

Stage 3 add in a msd unit which means the spark no longer goes through the distributor. This might make more spark so maybe more hp.

I recently upgraded my 914 to electronic points because they are a pain in that distributor to adjust.

However, if you do less than 3k a year. Are happy checking points and with the performance of your car why change?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Points close up over time and the mechanical advance isn’t very accurate once it has some wear, so I’ve fitted 123 distributors to my 356 and my Healey. It made a big difference to the Healey because the points I was buying were rubbish and I couldn’t get the correct advance curve, but less on the 356 because the Bosch distributor was better albeit it with a tendency to not completely retard the ignition at tickover. This meant it sometimes tick over much too fast and gradually slowed to normal.

In my opinion the electronic advance on the 123 is worth the extra.
Last edited by Ashley James on Sun May 09, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Thanks gents, that’s useful. I tend not to do more than 3,000 miles a year and am happy fiddling with the points. However, the 123 distributor sounds like useful upgrade. I’ve probably other jobs that need doing first on the car, but electronic ignition is certainly of interest.
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Go with the 123 distributor. You wont be disappointed
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

If fitting a 123 distributor anything else worth fitting at the same time with it? New coil, for instance? Thanks
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Not really!
Plugs and ignition leads if you feel they need changing.
Coil if original leave it alone the new ones are crap.
Just do a bloody good tune up and set the timing.
Best thing I did on mine.
Haven’t had to really touch it since other than change the oil set the tappets and clean the air filters.
Last edited by SeanP on Sun May 09, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Sounds ideal.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I agree with SeanP
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Other ignition systems are available. :)
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

I shall take a look at your website, Jonny. Thanks.
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Jonny made us a 4-cylinder version of his CDI system that we are running on a 914 2.0 historic rally car. It made a significant difference in measurable and immeasurable performance. On the dyno is was up 5 BHP at 6600rpm. On the road, via the drivers seat, it has much more low/mid-range punch and excellent throttle response.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
Anta
DDK above all

Post by Anta »

I have the Bluetooth version of the 123 Ignition on a Type 4 motor in a Spyder which is pretty much overkill but since when did car stuff need to make sense I guess? Anyway, I value the ability to set the rev limit on the app and also to be able to ‘lock’ the distributer to at least stop thieves from driving it away so quick. I tried to kid myself the live ‘dash’ with revs and GPS speed on the app was useful but it isn’t really unless one of your dials is broken.

Not really essential stuff but I get more use of that than the ability to change the advance curve etc on the move, something I will just bugger up!

Fingers crossed I hope to pick up my new and first 912 later this week and I was pleased to see that also had the 123 already fitted….so excited to get it, it is already the longest week ever!
Carrera 2.7 MFI 1974
Taycan 2022
993 C2 Coupe 1996 - SOLD
912 Coupe 1968 - SOLD
550 Spyder - SOLD
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

SeanP wrote:Go with the 123 distributor. You wont be disappointed
I have a 123 on my 356 and also my Healey 3000 and in my opinion it’s the best approach. In old distributors it’s not just the points and condenser you have to worry about, but also that the advance curve is correct. The springs stretch. The bearing wear and so on.

If your distributor is in excellent condition you can buy a cheap transistorised replacement for the points from Accuspark on eBay, but otherwise get a 123 and forget about it.

FWIW I bought a new Lucas distributor for my Healey and still the advance curve was wrong and the car kept pinking.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Does the 123 come with the correct curve pre set for a 356/912 or do you have to set it up yourself?

Also what is the difference between a 123 and Johnny’s cdi type setup? I’m not familiar with the way a cdi works.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan