Electronic Ignition

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

SeanP
I luv DDK!

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by SeanP »

The 123 has the correct curve set via a rotary switch if you buy the non programmable one. The programmable one you can down load the curves and load them.
Jonnys box is a CDI with a programmable curve. Very clever piece of kit. It uses your distributor which you lock the advance in some way. You would need to replace the coil for a CDI coil, (Jonny has a coil in development if not in production), and make up a loom for the wiring. We have had many a conversation over adding one to a 912 and seeing what difference it would make. You would need to program the curve and rev limiter. Two sparks per firing though and a higher voltage at the coil means a bigger stronger spark at the spark plug.
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

I used the pre-programmed, 123 advance curve for the SC/912 engine and it works perfectly.
Timo

Post by Timo »

What was your previous set up Ashley, original 022/031 or an 050 maybe? And have you noticed any difference in performance since fitting the 123 or is it just the convenience of the plug and play factor that makes it a worthwhile upgrade?
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timo

Post by Timo »

Thanks for the breakdown Sean, Johnny’s cdi set up sounds very interesting. With two sparks per stroke and a higher voltage I wonder how well it compares to a twin spark setup?
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Timo wrote:What was your previous set up Ashley, original 022/031 or an 050 maybe? And have you noticed any difference in performance since fitting the 123 or is it just the convenience of the plug and play factor that makes it a worthwhile upgrade?
Not really any noticeable difference because I’d overhauled the standard distributor before, but there was on the Healey because the points kept closing up and if I set the static timing correctly, I had too much advance, even with a new distributor. So, as I was off to France in the Porsche, I thought it wise to fit a 123 and avoid issues.

I’m still using the original coil, which probably has a much lower output than current offerings.

My view is that carburettors are enough trouble on their own without having to keep setting points and checking timing as well.
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

There is a big price difference between a 123 distributor and Jonny’s CDI box and coil, I would want to understand the benefits of the CDI over the 123 before committing - twin spark sounds interesting, though. Have you collected your 912, Anta?
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I’m pretty sure changing to electronic ignition will give you a better spark, but also sure that you won’t notice a performance improvement if your old system is correctly adjusted.

The benefit is that you can fit and forget it, not entirely because if your plug leads go open circuit, as they do with age, it’ll cause a failure of the electronics, so fit new plug leads when you make the change.

Points close up and wear, ATD units get sticky and bearings wear, so you’re constantly maintaining an old fashioned distributor and not an electronic one.
robs912
DDK Fanatic

Post by robs912 »

I've been using a 123 distributor on my 912 for a few years now and I'm really pleased with it. Once set up you never need to touch it!
Rob
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

robs912 wrote:I've been using a 123 distributor on my 912 for a few years now and I'm really pleased with it. Once set up you never need to touch it!
Rob
Just remember to replace the plug leads from time to time, or just check their resistance is correct. This applies to all electronic ignition.
r-mm
DDK Newbie

Post by r-mm »

I second what Anta said - I used the 123 bluetooth on my alfa and love it. All that and having a known-accurate tachometer, GPS speedometer and volt meter in the bluetooth 123's ap is really excellent. And to be certain you don't have to connect to the ap once you have your curve set. You can simply treat it as set and forget.
1965 912 Painted Dash
1973 Alfa Romeo GTV
1989 BMW E30
And that's it.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Timo wrote:Does the 123 come with the correct curve pre set for a 356/912 or do you have to set it up yourself?

Also what is the difference between a 123 and Johnny’s cdi type setup? I’m not familiar with the way a cdi works.
The 123 comes in various forms but if your car has a standard engine you can buy one preprogrammed for it. You really don’t want one you have to program unless you’re prepared to shell out for a rolling road to set it optimally and because the engine is tuned up/
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I have to agree with Ashley. If you have a big bore with a standardish cam then the 022 curve will be good. However, if you like to play and have a friendly RR

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Timo

Post by Timo »

Ok thanks guys.

Mine has 1720 b&ps and Weber 40idf carbs, no idea on the internals but fairly confident it’s stock ish. It’s a Harry pellow engine, I’ve heard that he tended to use lower compression due to the poor quality US fuel, but often used his own cam which brought the power back to normal levels. Mine rr’d at 99bhp and around 115ft ibs torque so it’s not far from standard.

It’s currently running an 050 so hopefully a 123 with standard curve would be as good if not slightly better.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Mine’s a 1720cc with an SC crank and I presume a 912 cam and runs extremely well right through the range using standard 356/912 advance curve.

I have twin 40mm Solexes with 0.60mm pilot jets and 120 mains
carlos77
DDK Fanatic

Post by carlos77 »

Another vote for the 123 dizzy. Had mine for 2 years and not touched it since. Was experiencing some very odd running issues, which were hard to diagnose but likely to be related to my 050, the recommendation to swap to 123 sorted everything out. Well worth the money, and not heard of any issues with these elsewhere.

Previously I ran Petronix EI in my 050 dizzy, but had 3 of these over the past 13 years and they do tend to give up eventually.

My engine is 1720 with 40 idfs, performance and power is very smooth.
Last edited by carlos77 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 912