Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Joys of old car motoring

Post by neilbardsley »

Snell sa2020 helmet bgt. Plus some gloves. Now I need to find an event

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Getting back to Discos lucky trip I shall be fitting one of the Demon Tweeks fire extinguisher kits with a 5kg bottle and half a dozen discharge nozzles. That should help, at least it'll give you time enough to unbuckle yourself then go and get a good seat to watch the ensuing inferno. A while back I was co-driver in a Lotus Cortina, I said it was a while back, that caught fire in the middle of a special stage. I was deep in my pace notes when driver Roy said bloody head gasket's blown because he thought it was steam. No, it was smoke. Opening the bonnet just gave the fire a nice big gulp of oxygen which wasn't the best of things to do. The on board extinguisher was something you'd get from Halfords, when they were having a sale so wasn't much use. We ended up stripping off our overalls, which weren't even flameproof and dousing the flames with these. We were lucky to put the fire out but it melted everything in and near to the engine compartment. On inspection back at Roy's garage it looked like a petrol pipe had, we assume vibrated off one of the Webers, it was as if a bomb had gone off in the engine bay.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

neilbardsley wrote:Snell sa2020 helmet bgt. Plus some gloves. Now I need to find an event

Go and do a school day somewhere- Loton, Shelsey Walsh and Prescott all pretty easy for you- will cost around £ 150 and you will get eight runs in and learn a lot.
I am sure Graham L will come in and tell you more?
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

Yes, definitely do at least one school day before you do anything else, Neil. That way you will Know whether the sport is really for you before you get in too deep and spend a load of money. Plus, you ought to then know the basics when you turn up for your first event, and should be able to enjoy it, rather than it being a stressful day with loads of technicalities to sort out.
Cheers
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

jwhillracer wrote:Yes, definitely do at least one school day before you do anything else, Neil. That way you will Know whether the sport is really for you before you get in too deep and spend a load of money. Plus, you ought to then know the basics when you turn up for your first event, and should be able to enjoy it, rather than it being a stressful day with loads of technicalities to sort out.
Cheers
JW
I did a school day at Gurston Down in Jaffa 911 in 2019 - good fun, learned a lot!
Plan was to go racing and hills before 70th birthday ( 2020) covid buggered that but going rallying and racing this year!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Mrs B, and I, did one of Graham's school days 2019?? We are booked into another school day in September with SAC. We joined the club last year. We have taken our 356 up Shelley Walsh also but found Luton to be a much more interesting course

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Ignatzcatz wrote:Getting back to Discos lucky trip I shall be fitting one of the Demon Tweeks fire extinguisher kits with a 5kg bottle and half a dozen discharge nozzles.

thanks for the tip, I've had a good google - they look like a pretty decent system, its another 250 quid to spend, which is on the list! - I'm not sure when you are likely to fit yours, but I'd be interested in the config/ how you go about doing it.

On a positive note, the piping arrived yesterday, which I managed to fit in the space of 2 minutes, I quadrupled that time in making sure that any visible pipework in the engine bay was replaced, so at least thats all done. - but referencing the advice from those in the know, maybe I need to get kitted out in a fireproof overalls and helmet every time I get in it now, looks and sounds like I was damn lucky based on other peoples misfortunate tales.

anyway - thanks again guys. I'm falling in love once again, with my old 'B', and am planning to attend at least the fairmile events when they restart... anyone know anything about when they're re-opening, or if they are on hold indefinitely. ?

cheers!

Joe