Joys of old car motoring

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Joys of old car motoring

Post by Disco »

Continuing my quest to drive my car more, this year as I haven’t driven it really at all for the last 3-4, to took the family to Reigate. Simple enough. .. you’d think.

Lots of admiring looks and thumbs up on the way, ( I live just on the other side of the M25, so 10-15 mins Max. And when arrived, find a great parking spot ! Result.

Things are going too well, so I think, I know, I’ll disable the rotor arm in the dizzy for a bit of added Porsche theft protection...

Open up the boot and I’m faced with petrol pretty much pissing all out over the engine bay- the corded pipe has failed..

Now, do I call the AA and risk catching the Rona in the chaos cab, 6 hours after I call them..?or do I go to Homebase, buy some silicone tape make a temporary fix and risk it.

You guessed it, I risked it... and I made it, fortunately.

So, where is the best place to buy flexible petrol tubing and is there any way to shut off the petrol of a 356 whilst I undertake the permanent fix?

Cheers!

Disco
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Re: Joys of old car motoring

Post by Disco »

Got to go back now and pick up the family in the slightly more reliable golf !!
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Isn't there a fuel cock in the centre of the cabin by your feet.
It is a bit scary all these fuel related problems.
At least you didn't end up with a fire like Will.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

The petrol you turn off under the dash. Look under the dash and there is a handle you can turn through 3 positions. on, off, and reserve. Its marked in German. Auf is on, Reserve is Res and off is Zu. That should if the petcock (the aluminium item the handle fits to) does not leak. There is a short length of rubber pipe from the petcock to the metal pipe that runs through the central tunnel top the back of the car.

The flexible rubber pipe if the car is standard does not enter the engine bay where you say its leaks?. Its connected to the rear bottom of the firewall and then to the metal delivery pipe at the back of fan housing. Some people have put a fuel filter in the fuel line connected with rubber fuel hose, its not that that leaks is it?

I have had fuel leaking from the rubber pipe from underneath the engine area and onto the floor. This Ethanol in fuel can attack some rubber items. RogerBray Reatorations sell the fuel hose as well as PRS I think.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

I had a split on the short rubber line between the fuel tap and the hard line that runs through the car on my way to a meeting, noticed fuel dripping on the rubber mat and had to turn back home. Car smelt (even more) of petrol for a while after that!

I bought the fuel line from https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/ this was 5 years ago

I believe Cohline braided 7mm (inner dimension) is the OEM, however I found this difficult to push over the hard lines so bought inner dimension 7.5mm which I used (DIN 73385)

Worth buying a bit extra & keeping in the car
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Thanks guys. I've got an order in with the advanced fluid guys at 7.5mm appreciate the help. Thinking about it, it was a bit silly of me to risk it, given the propensity for these things to catch fire. I just couldn't be bothered with the faffing about and waiting for the AA to turn up.

Amazingly its such a cheap part, think it was about 4 quid for a metre of hose, of which I'll need about 6 inches of.

Funnily enough I was reading about the ethanol in petrol degrading the pipes, was looking at PRS's service costs yesterday. probably worth a service, if only for the oil change, will give them a call and see if I can book it in. I bought the car from them, so I'm sure they'll remember it!

cheers once again for all the help and advice
Disco
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

You have been so lucky, one of the first things I decided I most definitely did not want in my 356 when I started the restoration was anything to do with petrol or its componentry inside the car. It beggars belief that Messrs Porsche actually designed this fuel petcock to be inside the car. May I humbly suggest you fit a discreet fuel gauge and run a length of braided hose to the fuel pump outside of the cockpit. Actually being that you state you like the joys of old car motoring you can always make that fuel petcock completely redundant and use the real old skool notched petrol dip stick as a fuel gauge.
Finally, what type of fire extinguisher do you have in your car? You do have a fire extinguisher don't you?
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Ignatzcatz wrote:You have been so lucky, one of the first things I decided I most definitely did not want in my 356 when I started the restoration was anything to do with petrol or its componentry inside the car.
yep, I'm guessing that pretty much anything goes back in 1963 - I've followed your 356911 build and it is epic. I can well imagine, you wouldnt want any chance of a fire going on in your car once complete. Are you thinking about rigging up a fire extinguisher system?
Ignatzcatz wrote: Finally, what type of fire extinguisher do you have in your car? You do have a fire extinguisher don't you?
I do have one, I have it nicely tucked away from being useful.. in the boot. in this scenario i was holding it tighter than I was clenching my bum on the way home! - I'm not sure what type it is - I think its a foam one, bought from Halfords... so will hopefully do the job,?!? but honestly once a fire takes hold, I'm not sure what use a standard fire extinguisher would really be? - I'm going to do some research into systems - whilst I like old school motoring, I'm not the by the seat of my pants guy I used to be!

Cheers!

Disco
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Is this helmet ok for hill climbing?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sparco- ... et-254185/

It says ok for Motorsport which don't require fireproof

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Appendix K

Crash Helmets
10.1. Crash helmets bearing an MSA/Motorsport UK approval sticker must be worn at all times during training, practice and competition. The user must ensure that the helmet is to a standard currently specified (10.3.1), that it fits properly, is secured properly and that it is in a serviceable condition. It is strongly recommended that a flame resistant balaclava, helmet bib or face mask also be worn.
10.2. Total protection can never be given by any headgear, and the best of crash helmets may not entirely prevent head injury or death in a severe accident. Helmet users must understand that helmets are deliberately constructed so that the energy of a severe blow will be absorbed by the helmet and thereby partially destroy it. The damage may not be readily apparent; it is essential therefore that any helmet receiving a blow in an accident is either replaced or returned to the manufacturer for competent inspection – this of necessity must be the responsibility of the helmet user, who will have been aware of the circumstances under which the helmet was struck. It is not possible nor indeed reasonable to expect the scrutineer, in every case, to observe significant damage. Where there is any doubt about the helmet’s fitness for its intended purpose then the Chief Scrutineer is empowered to remove the MSA/Motorsport UK Approval Sticker and impound the helmet for the duration of the meeting. This should be a rare occurrence since competitors must appreciate that, once a helmet has served its purpose, it is not only sensible but necessary to replace it. It is the competitor himself who must ensure that the helmet which he uses is fully fit for its purpose; it is clear that this is a small insurance to pay for one’s life. The competitor also might consider that, should he survive an accident, but receive head injuries having knowingly used a previously damaged helmet, he could be placing an enormous burden of care upon his family.
10.2.1. Impounding of helmets
Case 1 Pre-Event. If the helmet does not conform with the required Standards or is in a poor or dangerous condition, the Chief Scrutineer will impound the helmet for the duration of the Meeting, removing the MSA/Motorsport UK sticker. At the close of the Meeting the helmet will be returned, as received, with the exception of the MSA/Motorsport UK sticker, to the competitor concerned.

https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content ... fety-K.pdf
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

neilbardsley wrote:Is this helmet ok for hill climbing?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sparco- ... et-254185/

It says ok for Motorsport which don't require fireproof

Why wouldn’t you want a fireproof Helmet Neil?
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Do the helmets have to have fia Hans connectors? I guess these are for a neck brace?

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

That helmet isn't legal for MSUK events. It's OK for trackdays etc, but not MSUK-approved competition.
To my way of thinking, there's no point in buying a non-approved helmet as you never know what the future holds – you may decide to go sprinting or hillclimbing, or even circuit racing or rallying...

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
mean_in_green
DDK above all

Post by mean_in_green »

Just to mention: don't anyone be thinking that a nominally sized fire extinguisher will save a car from burning.

There was a report a while back on impactbumpers.com of a 911 that caught fire, including video showing the owner's quick realisation and response plus subsequent help from around a dozen other concerned motorists all with extinguishers pointing at the flames. An effort you might hope would have saved the car, but didn't.

Flames of petrol vapour and air mixture are not the easiest to put out, it burns pretty hot for a liquid fuel fire. Even truck sized 9kgs extinguishers could not stop the above.
Simon
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

KS wrote:That helmet isn't legal for MSUK events. It's OK for trackdays etc, but not MSUK-approved competition.
To my way of thinking, there's no point in buying a non-approved helmet as you never know what the future holds – you may decide to go sprinting or hillclimbing, or even circuit racing or rallying...

Exactamundo Keith!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress