356A - Replacement Exhaust + Heat Exchangers & Control cans

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Re: 356A - Replacement Exhaust + Heat Exchangers & Control c

Post by mrg3.6 »

Mike Smith wrote:I feel guilty for a blatant plug - BUT

PRS are the only company manufacturing proper Heat Control Valves - I was about to say exactly as the originals, however, we improved them by adding a slightly stronger internal return spring (that helps to give a more positive shut off) and in addition there is a superior Heat Resistant sealing material attached to the flap

The other important point, is that they are fitted with sound deadening material inside (as did the originals)
The cheap ones are just empty cans and therefore all the mechanical engine noise is transmitted into the cabin.
Finally - the cheap ones do not fit without modification

All this is why we manufactured our first set approx. 10 x years ago.
I think that the initial run was 20 pairs - We are into the multiple 100`s now and in addition we manufacture them for B`s - C`s - Pre `A`s and `A` Carrera`s

Apologies for the plug
Mike,

I ordered those 'cheap' control cans for my 356A before I saw your response and having tried my best to fit them (installation was impossible with incorrect dimensions & pipe angles) I have returned them and ordered replacement PRS units.

I am delighted to say I just bolted the PRS units straight on without issue - nice product and certainly worth the extra cost in terms of unnecessary sweat and stress.

Thx
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Thanks for posting your findings

Very glad to hear that it worked out for you
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
VCG
DDK Fanatic

Post by VCG »

Hello, A few months ago, as an experiment, I had an Eisenmann stainless exhaust fitted to our T5B by PRS. The build quality is superb and, according to them, the fit was great.

Compared to the mild steel OEM it replaced it's a bit raucous, but I understand S/Steel are always a bit more raucous, most people seem to love the sound but the jury is out as far as we're concerned on this.
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

We've had a stainless exhaust on both our 914/6 and hillclimb 911. They are a bit noisy until they get a coating of carbon inside, which softens the tone quite a bit. Best thing to do is drive it more! :)

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
VCG
DDK Fanatic

Post by VCG »

Thanks, great info, we'll wait to see how it develops.
V