911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

Post by Ashley James »

Porsche prices shot up, too many for the market got restored, prices faltered and buyers could pick the very best cars, then they started to get too old and on top of that, very few would be modern purchasers have any mechanical knowledge at all, to them it’s a kid of magic. They want to drive old cars as hard as hell and pay someone to fix them.

My son has a 1926 R-R in that was used for the Paris Beijing Rally and a Bentley MKVI owned by an Ex-Vickers director, he sold R-R&B to the Germans and has a blueprinted Cloud 1 engine and high axle ratio so he can drive 450 miles across France in a day at highly illegal speeds. Both have probably spent over £200K on them and both are pretty old.

Like you Graham I had to rebuild everything because I couldn’t afford to pay anyone.

I believe prices are falling across the board and have been for a few years now and also that the strong market is for relatively modern classics, especially limited edition supercars etc.

Sorry for drifting off, but I’ve been pondering the same, but have no wife to worry about now and my son is very fond of the old Healey 3000. I’ve sold my 718 because it kept breaking down, four times to be precise and I could see it continuing after the guarantee ran out. I’d already replaced everything on my 987 by 55,000 miles that lasted to 95,000 on my daughter’s focus and was wary. I was a little sad to see it go, but I’m back in a Merc which is better equipped, much quieter, more comfortable and not dramatically slower. It’s a better made car is the truth and I missed a 719 recall for wrongly torqued suspension parts. Luckily I didn’t buy a six because they’re having conrod bolt breakages I hear.

I’ll be 75 next month and will probably hang on to the 356 cos other owners are friendly and it’s a pretty good old car if a little noisy.
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

satan wrote:Perhaps it would be worth chopping in the old girl for a younger model? You could still follow the "hot rod" theme as I understand they often come with modifications, even straight off the showroom floor.

You'll lose the tinkering and sounds/smells that come with the older models of course, but even the latest versions can be tempted to be tail happy with the right persuasion.
And I thought this was advice about the wife, not his car?? :lol:
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Those 'few years' can make a difference as you all know.

I was offered 50K for the car a few years or 3 ago. Agreed value was and still is 60K, I just pay a higher premium to hold the 60K.
It might be 50K still, my original question was to see what people thought of the current market.

In the future there will be a time to sell everything, buy a Volvo in silver and read the Sunday Times, my crash hat will become a hanging basket.
Not there yet, but it is getting closer...
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
satan
DDK above all

Post by satan »

Nine One One wrote:
satan wrote:Perhaps it would be worth chopping in the old girl for a younger model? You could still follow the "hot rod" theme as I understand they often come with modifications, even straight off the showroom floor.

You'll lose the tinkering and sounds/smells that come with the older models of course, but even the latest versions can be tempted to be tail happy with the right persuasion.
And I thought this was advice about the wife, not his car?? :lol:
:wink:
1971 911e
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

911hillclimber wrote:Agreed value was and still is 60K, I just pay a higher premium to hold the 60K.
£60k sounds reasonable for a hot rod. If you call it a restomod however you should be able to get £250k - £300k for it
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, 'Stored in a Barn' will add another 50K too!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Don't over think things. If you monitor prices and the market etc etc. its not really a hobby / passion anymore

Sell them if you're bored of them and want something else

Keep them if you enjoy them

Sell them if you've decided you need some cash or just want a different lifestyle

Andmake you own decision based on how you feel
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, agree totally.
A few facts help me though.
This is a decision looming and simply want a feel for what could be the outcome. This is not to buy into another car this will be to change direction.
This is a very hard decision after 32 years with the 911 and 30 hillclimbing, 10 years with the Lola. The Boxster is neither here or there.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Bootsy wrote:Don't over think things. If you monitor prices and the market etc etc. its not really a hobby / passion anymore

Sell them if you're bored of them and want something else

Keep them if you enjoy them

Sell them if you've decided you need some cash or just want a different lifestyle

Andmake you own decision based on how you feel
Wise words from the gauleiter
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

I’ve built ‘hot rods’ and other weird cars since I was 15. I just accepted it that you put in loads of hours and money and then sold them for a song. That’s just the way it goes.

Porsche seems to be the exception, but more likely this is just distorted by the big bucks ‘retro mod’ builders.
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Not sure if you've hit the restomod jackpot? The formula is as follows:

Limited production; if you sell this one Graham we know you'll do another so lets say max 5

Obsessive attention to detail; see the Honda thread - check

OEM build quality; as long as it's safer than the original 917 and more reliable than a 996 IMS bearing - check

Components from a later 911 - check

Something made of carbon fibre

Something from an F1 team or F1 supplier

If you haven't got the last 2 you could always pick up some ex-F1 carbon fibre wing mirrors off e-bay?

& remember to say the conversion to right hand drive is because the majority of circuits are clockwise
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ha!
Love the last one. :)

'Hours and Hours in, sold for a song' almost sounds like the words to a song.
However, very true, and there must be loads of people who wait in the shadows for what they need to come along, all done and tidy.
I am a magnet for these fortunate 'hunters' and have been eaten alive by them over the years.

Which, of course, is why I asked my original question of this thread.
Not about I want/thinking/dreaming to sell the 911 now, but where are values standing for my type of car today.

I will then, maybe, have the value set right to discourage the hunters and find a more genuine buyer at a fair market price.

Oddly, the 911 does not owe me more than the value (assuming 45/60K), but I did all the work DIY and a long time ago, I will make money
eventually.
I will loose a ton on the Lola and continue to bleed with the Boxster.

I might break even!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

911hillclimber wrote:Indeed!
I'm sure the Wanted advert is sincere and a co-incidence otherwise he may have approached me directly.
The Boxster is mostly the problem. The allure of going on a trip in it rather than the 911 has eroded the '911 need'.

However, too many things happening and getting to the end of 33 years with the 911 and 30 years of hillclimbing, it is coming to an end.
We are planning a BIG EURO TOUR next year, my 70th on this planet in the ...Boxster re tracing the many fab places we have been to over 45 years of knowing each other!

As I said before, this thinking is far greater than the 911, it is just a slice of the cake in general.

We have even thought of a total sell-up and buy a GR Yaris.
I have a GR Yaris and a 2.2T and I don't think your wife will like the former as it's a really busy car in the passenger seat. Mine insists we keep the 2.2T for as long as possible!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Interesting.
The aris was the wife's idea. The spec is really nice on paper and looks good and interesting.

One of the plans looking forward in life is to sell everything and buy a Yaris as the all round car.
She has a delightful Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo for the run around, I would need something far more.

So, sell the 911, sell the Lola and sell the Skoda Superb and trailer tow rig and seek fresh horizons.
I would continue tinkering on old motorbikes and the model planes in a spacious garage.

We would do long trips in the Yaris. Is it a Long Trip car?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

911hillclimber wrote: The aris was the wife's idea.
:shock:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk