911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

Post by 911hillclimber »

I'm interested to read thoughts on the value of the 911 hot rod in today's market?
A perfect 911S Targa will be north of 180k but what of a non matching big engined neat and tidy hot rod with few original parts left on it, but all fully welded MoT etc and ready to go to France tomorrow?

A couple of years ago such a car might be 60k, 30 today?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

Post by Nine One One »

So thinking of selling the 911 again?

The bitsa 911/912 reached £43k covered on another thread, so more than that, although did you not convert yours from LHD to RHD.

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... le#p631823
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Sort of honking of selling everything up.
There is a lack of enthusiasm in the household, so maybe all the toys are getting too much and a simpler life beckons!
If it sells it will be when the climate for such cars improves, nobody will get this car at a bargain give away price which would be the case if offered right now.
The conversion and how I did it will always split opinion, but it is safe and solid and I would challenge anyone to prove it otherwise.
I do consider the car to be the most contentious on ddk, but nobody on here has driven it, and one very trusted ddk and oficionardo on here has been on a long journey in it and would be the only person to comment how it performs, the conversion has no effect on how it goes, but does on how it feels to drive comfortably.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

My former 912/6 'El Chucho' just sold for about £53K and is now in Germany.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, but that was a much sharper car than my 911!
I guess it all comes down to the eye of the beholder, but from some adverts and discussions on here the hot rod has lost a lot of it's value.

Not sure 'hot rod' is a good descriptor, more 'simply modified to suit a purpose' in my 911's case, but 220 bhp in 1000Kg.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

It is all OK Graham, next week you will drive it somewhere, fall in love with it again, and forget about selling it for another 6 months?
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

911hillclimber wrote:I'm interested to read thoughts on the value of the 911 hot rod in today's market?
A perfect 911S Targa will be north of 180k but what of a non matching big engined neat and tidy hot rod with few original parts left on it, but all fully welded MoT etc and ready to go to France tomorrow?

A couple of years ago such a car might be 60k, 30 today?
As values have risen across the board for the marque,values appear to have some correlation with the reputation of the "builder" and less so on the specification.To achieve top money for a hot rod, or even a standard restoration the fame/reputation from garage appears to have become as important as the blooming car.
Many ads for 911s carry details of not only the engine spec but the actual engine builder.Ive even seen details of who painted it plus the brand of paint used!
There are a few "home builders" on Pelican who detail a build with a thread and make top money as its finished.These are just guys in garages.
Perhaps thats an important aspect of value.Actually being able to see the bodywork completed to a satisfactory standard,as well as the spec of the car.There are plenty of hot rods on BAT bringing very good money still.
Personally,If I was in the market Id happily consider your car.Being part of a community and with some experience, adds a certain confidence and acceptance.I really wouldnt give a toss if it was converted to RHD, or what parts are present (or not).
That would be because Id be buying to use,with scant regard for future values.That has to be where your potential market is.Its not a concours "rivet counters" car.A Singer is also a hot rod.Im sure potential buyers dont complain thats it has few standard parts.Make no excuse for it.It is what it is.Putting specific values on cars is tricky.Hot Rod 911 even more so.
Personally I think its gorgeous.
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Nine One One wrote:It is all OK Graham, next week you will drive it somewhere, fall in love with it again, and forget about selling it for another 6 months?
Yes, spend today and tomorrow fettling and polishing the Lola, get all of your tools and spares sorted, chill with your lovely lady on Friday, then spend Saturday and Sunday hurling the Lola up Prescott.

The world will seem a completely different place by Monday!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

Keyboard bounce ...... !
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Its no so much the car as the indulgence in all this classic stuff has worn thin esp with the wife who I feel has had enough!
It will be good doing Prescott and good to be there and nearly normal, the Lola is a different kettle of fish to the 911.

I have no qualms about the conversion, never have, I trust my skills to do a safe considered job.
I can claim the box has been done by Bainbridge, but the rest is all diy; fully understand the value of the known names adding considerable value.

Once its gone that will be it, no going back so need to max the value which is all to do with timing and that's anyone's guess.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

911hillclimber wrote:Sort of thinking of selling everything up.
There is a lack of enthusiasm in the household, so maybe all the toys are getting too much and a simpler life beckons!
That's never going to happen - you're a compulsive 'tinkerer' ...
911hillclimber wrote:
I do consider the car to be the most contentious on ddk ...
As far as I'm aware, nobody else has ever said that - there are many people on DDK who modify their cars or buy modified cars whilst others lust over 100% correct/Factory spec models.

When you get in a mood like this Graham, read back through some of your old posts about the car & read what others have said about it ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

I have a feeling of Deja Vu?
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

It is a great car Graham.
I hope you don't sell it but if you do someone will get a really brilliant car.

Like you I go through some soul searching over the toys. In my case the 911 and the plane. I am even older than you and often think of selling out but then I wonder what will occupy me as Porsches and flying have been part of my life for so long.
I always conclude that I will review it at a later date.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Selling up is something everyone goes through probably on a relatively regular basis.....and you more than most! It's just part of ownership, a battle of conscience.

But you've owned this car a huge length of time and it probably holds more memories than any other single thing you own.

You restored it how you wanted it as had no intention of selling (you should have welded up the roof and done it original viper if you wanted most $$$ from a sale) and think you will forever regret it if you do.

Unless you desperately need the money what is the point in selling it, nothing is ever going to replace it in your mind, you don't chop and change cars ever couple of years like some others.

So keep it and enjoy it. You're a long time dead without any cars........

And for once put your foot down with the missus! This may help you in lots of decisions going forward...... :lol: :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Putting my foot down...well...

There is a bigger picture on my mind, and the 911 is just part of it.
Not desperate for money, but having the 911 is growingly irrelevant.
We were going to go to a nearby National Trust in the 911 today, and when suggested yesterday it was met with a very apathetic response, not for the first time over the recent years and that kills my mojo about what I do.
A similar picture for the hillclimbing Lola though that will be put to the test this weekend as JW says. Using the Lola is quite involved so to clear the 911 and the Lola would be a very big clear-out altogether.
Then there is the Boxster...

Maybe I'm suffering from COVID blues like many others who do not work anymore.

Time will tell as ever, but to the original question, seems like the modified 911 world has financially shrunk by 50% for a non-famous-name DIY modified car.

If this lot go then I want to max the final payday except the Boxster which is just mainstream depreciation, 50% in 4 years...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9