356A rear hub nut

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

356A rear hub nut

Post by RoscoP »

Hi Folks,
I'm reassembling the rear suspension on my 58A and have found that the rear hub nut and washer on one side is one part whereas the other side is a 2 piece item ie washer and hub nut are seperate. Does anyone know which is correct for a 58 car or do they both work equally well and I can leave as is.....a new one piece hub nut from Mr Brays is around £25!!
Thank you for lstening
RoscoP.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 356A rear hub nut

Post by neilbardsley »

I think they both work and I've reused nuts in the past. The washer should only go back on one way. I've made that mistake

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Thanks for the reply Neil, is the washer different on each face?
Ross
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes. See the post from the 356 registry. Integrated from 1960 onwards. Numpties, like me, must of kept installing them incorrectly. Lots me ages to figure it out.

'The axle nut with integral washer debuted in 1960. The problem with the early nut/washer combo was that the washer had a chamfer that HAD to be installed toward the drum, otherwise the washer could bottom out on the ends of the splines and not tighten the drum properly.
Harlan's reference in the first part of his post refers to the washer between the bearing and small O-ring. The VW kits used soft metal, while the Porsche kits used a tougher material. The VW ones were also much smaller in diameter.'

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... er#p369644

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Thanks Neil a great help!
Ill have to pop down to my workshop tomorrow to ensure that the correct washer is fitted!
Cheers
Ross