Rear Reflectors

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Rear Reflectors

Post by Darren65 »

Gentlemen,

I need to source 356 reflectors that were fitted to the rear bumper of 74 RS's.....lots out there both original and reproduction.....

......please could somebody educate me as to possible differences over the years? Did they vary by model, what markings should they have, are there 'perfect' reproductions available and being that the type I require were fitted in 1974 I'd imagine they were the last of line if indeed that's correct?

Your knowledge and all information is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Lightweight_911

Re: Rear Reflectors

Post by Lightweight_911 »

From memory, the reflectors used were the 356/356A version which were glass with a 'K 1315' embossed marking * on the lens.

Originals sell for a lot of money but good quality repros are available from Stoddard's (& probably others).

It would be worth checking with Paul/Mike Smith at PRS.

* I think there were 2 versions with small vs large embossed markings

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Early cars (Pre-A / A) had glass SWF reflectors, later cars (B/C) ULO plastic reflectors with different mounts for US (above bumpers), Europe (below bumpers).

Can't find any reference to '74 3.0 Carrera RS & I don't see the 356 part numbers in the '74 parts pdf. The markings on the original ULO reflectors changed over time, detailed discussion here:

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... s&start=15

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... or#p337596

Seems counter-intuitive that they would use the early type on a later car but then nothing went to waste at Porsche

Different repro types here:

https://www.stoddard.com/porsche-356/po ... ctors.html
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Hugo 356 wrote: Seems counter-intuitive that they would use the early type on a later car but then nothing went to waste at Porsche
My answer above is just 'from memory' - so can't necessarily be relied on ! :lol:

There were lots of examples of Porsche using (spare/left over) earlier parts on their race cars/limited production models when later equivalents were readily available - eg:

- 356A/early 356B interior mirror on 904
- 914/6 leather steering wheel on 2.7RS

etc
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks for the replies chaps :thumbright:

Interesting post from Gib over on E911SR as to why these were fitted in the first place....
letsrollbabe wrote: A point that I forgot to post is from a note Pete Stout sent me last year about those little 356 reflectors. Here are his comments:

The reason for those reflectors came up in an interview with Bernd Kahnau about “F22,” a car most people now refer to as the “Club Sport prototype” even though that is not what Bernd set out to build. In any event, those reflectors appeared on certain special 911s with flares of a certain size—and are there because there is a regulation in Europe that stated red reflectors on the back of the cars had to be X centimeters or millimeters from the outer edge of either side of the car. This is why RoW 930s had those reflectors in the rear bumper trim strips where the narrower 911s did not. You see little red reflectors used again on certain special 911s with rear flares past a certain point: Carrera RS 3.0, SC/RS, Ruf CTR, etc.—but this time they’re borrowed from the 356 era rather than molded in because there is no rubber molding. As they were on the 930, they’re there to meet that regulation, which I suspect has to do with the very narrow streets in many European villages and towns—to help people avoid hitting parked cars at night. Another measure alongside the left or right parking lights than can be engaged by pressing the turn signal stalk up or down before locking the car up.
Cheers,
Julian Hunt
DDK addict

Post by Julian Hunt »

Darren65 wrote: are there 'perfect' reproductions available
Five years ago when I knew what I was talking about Marco at Elevenparts sold a very very nice quality reproduction 356 reflector. I expect Mike & Paul at PRS have them. The Stoddard repro was no where near as nice.

If it turns out they are 356, and they do look like it, Marco's are the way to go!
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks Julian, appreciate the pointer :thumbright: ....

....one thing I hadn't considered is that I'll be popping a couple of pipes out the rear of mine so need to decide if the reflectors will look right! :?

Cheers,