Meet Ralph - 1970 ST project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

rich73
Married to the DDK

Meet Ralph - 1970 ST project

Post by rich73 »

Hi There,
Finally getting around to starting this project that I’ve had stored for the past few years.
In the past I’ve mostly restored minis as well as a MK 1 MG midget, about 5 years ago I finally finished restoring a 1275GT, drove around in it for a few months and although I loved it, ultimately it wasn’t a usable car for me for real trips out on todays roads. Similar story for my MK1 midget that I finished at about the same time. eBay assisted clear out resulted in garage space......

Imagemini by richard cannings, on Flickr

Imagemidget by richard cannings, on Flickr

The answer…. a 1987 3.2 Carrera, now track car lightened with full weld in cage.

ImageRolf by richard cannings, on Flickr

I still have this and although the are a few jobs to do its basically finished. Engine is standard, rebuilt by Nick Fulljames. Also done bits to the suspension such as Monoballs and strut brace but still need to lower and sort the geo but seems much more responsive after the rebuild and weight loss.
This seemed like the answer to everything but not long we got it had a trip to Le Mans Classic and fell in love with these cars, I’d never even heard of an ST.

Imageyellow st by richard cannings, on Flickr

Imageyellow st by richard cannings, on Flickr

So I came up with plan, prices of early seemed to keep rising so buy before they went up any more and store.
Imagine my partners joy when this arrived. It’s a 1970 T without sunroof originally Sepia Brown that originates from Oregon. Car came complete with 1969 T engine and 5 speed 901 box of unknown origin. Smashed windscreen, missing panels and RSR arches with 7 inch wheels complete the look.

Image2021-02-19_09-25-38 by richard cannings, on Flickr

Image2021-02-19_09-26-20 by richard cannings, on Flickr

Original plan was build an ST as authentically as possible, getting Nick to build a 2.3 twin plug from the engine that came with the car. Over time I started to rethink the plan. As the car will be used for weekends away and euro trips, I realised that I should be building the car with the intended use in mind.
So sold the 69 engine and managed to get hold of a 3.0 SC 930/10 engine which seemed more appropriate. Idea is to do all the usual ST mods, Steel arches, centre fill, roll bar but with a more appropriate engine and the odd luxury hidden away like electric air con.
I’ve decided to approach this build in a more structured way than I’ve done before with defined project phases and timescales for the initial ones.

Phase 1 - Mostly planning and prep work.
Phase 2 - Aim is to end up with a fully restored bodyshell and panels with all ST modifications carried out. Shell and panels painted with panels fitted.
Phase 3 - Aim is fully assemble, resulting in a drivable road legal car. Car will have minimal interior and external fittings. This will be dependant on engine and gearbox condition which are currently unknown.
Phase 4 - The goal will be a final finished car. This stage will be going through list of things that will be done based on priority, time and cost. Examples include engine, gearbox rebuild. Update of electronics to improve reliability, Electric air conditioning.
Phase 5 - Releasing that it will never truly be finished this will include the hunt for an original 10K tacho, suspension modifications etc.

I’ve also done a schedule for a restoration for the first time. Started on Monday 15th Feb, Phase 2 to be completed on 6th June…….. maybe.

Rich
Last edited by rich73 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Meet Ralph - 1970 ST project

Post by KS »

Excellent project! I admire a man who has a plan and sticks to it. We'll all be watching to see how closely you do stick to it! Mission creep is an inevitability in most cases. :lol:

Good luck and keep posting!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
hot66

Post by hot66 »

look forward to this resto , I love ST's 8)

Image2021-02-19_09-25-38 by richard cannings, on Flickr
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Hi Rich

Great project and looks like a good starting point. Looking forward to seeing this unfold!
The force is strong in this one ......
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Excellent - another thread to look forward to
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Exciting project, looking forward to the updates, one question, please tell me you are keeping that steering wheel
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

The wheel stays for now, although probably not a coincidence that a replacement was one of the first things I bought for the car.
All went to plan with strip down this week, trickiest but was wrestling the loom out. There were finds…..

Image2021-02-20_08-41-54 by richard cannings, on Flickr

But nothing exciting. May have to explore other options for project funding.

Image2021-02-20_08-42-11 by richard cannings, on Flickr

Some signs of previous occupants.

Image2021-02-20_08-41-35 by richard cannings, on Flickr

But could have been worse.

Imagesquirrels-stash-walnuts-in-1974-porsche-911-in-switzerland-fill-up-engine-bay-139501-7 by richard cannings, on Flickr

https://carbuzz.com/news/squirrels-stor ... -targa-2-7

No big surprises with the shell condition which was a big relief, will get same pictures posted soon.
Rich
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Cool project and look forward to tracking your journey :)

Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Love that Clubman!

Hope you detail this build as well as you obviously have on the Mini.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Best of luck with the build Rich, will follow with interest.

From the look of the previous projects it'll be something special :thumbleft:
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Hi There,
Thanks for the comments. The shell is now stripped and no surprises . As I thought it looks like there was a water leak from the rear window which has taken out the parcel shelf, bases of the rear seats and floor. Sepia Brown isn't the most flatting colour for the inside of a bare shell as its basically rust brown!
Inner sills and tunnel look OK with just localised repairs needed along the bottom in some areas. Inner wings look in great condition with no signs of accident damage. Under the bonnet looks pretty good but I need to replace the forward area of the front floor and tank support.

ImageG by richard cannings, on Flickr

ImageQ by richard cannings, on Flickr

ImageT by richard cannings, on Flickr

I’ve decided to start work on the front of the car first as its self contained and I’m hoping I can get it done in a week. Front repair and tank support Panels arrived next day from Heritage Parts Centre but I’ve decided to make repairs pieces for the side tank supports.
I’ve started watching Trev’s Blog on youtube for sheet forming tips, really interesting.

Started making the repair piece for the right hand side, MDF former made and after a bit of hammering its starting to look something like.

ImageH by richard cannings, on Flickr

Will make the lower bit separately and TIG together.
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Excellent, love resto projects....
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Thanks, are you still doing steering wheel covering? I've got a 380mm wheel that I'd like to get double wrapped, may while until I'm ready for it though.
Things progressing well with the front looking solid now, took longer than I expected as I didn't realise the amount of measuring required to ensure the front suspension points ended up in the right place.

ImageG by richard cannings, on Flickr

ImageP by richard cannings, on Flickr

Still need to repair the lower parts of the front inner wings which look quite complicated. Looked at repair panels but struggling with the thought of paying £185 each and only using about 10%. The SWB panels are less at £118 from Heritage Parts Centre and don't have battery boxes openings. Would be grateful if any one can tell me if these will fit, was thinking about deleting the battery box from the RHS so these could be ideal.
Thanks
Rich
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nice work - Trev's blog is really good
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

rich73 wrote: Still need to repair the lower parts of the front inner wings which look quite complicated. Looked at repair panels but struggling with the thought of paying £185 each and only using about 10%.
... was thinking about deleting the battery box from the RHS so these could be ideal.
Thanks, Rich
No sure if SWB panels will fit - it looks similar, but not the same. The front inner wing around the battery box on LWB cars is completely flat, but the SWB is formed. You can make your own sections in a similar or same way that you did for the inner longitudinal ideally as long as one side is good and you make a template from it. See my resto thread for pics of the section I made. Took me a few iterations to achieve a panel that I was happy with, and it took me so long in the end that I half-wished I had bit the bullet and paid for the panel, and spent that time on something else :roll:

Great project car - looking forward to hearing more :cheers:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored