Meet Ralph - 1970 ST project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

rich73
Married to the DDK

Re: Meet Ralph - 1970 ST project

Post by rich73 »

Thanks Sladey, Trev's blog has been helping me get through Married at First Sight Australia 2019.

Great Thread Dean, thanks. Decided to leave the lower inner wing for now and repair the lower front panel.

Was planning to repair each end but in the end removed the full width.

ImageH by richard cannings, on Flickr

More MDF former action, much more curved then I realised.

Curve came out well, must be the camera lends that make it look wonky.

ImageF by richard cannings, on Flickr

Really happy with the fit.

ImageK by richard cannings, on Flickr

Spent the rest of the day wondering how I'd got this far through life without a power file.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Wonderful gadgets power files, but 3-inch mini grinders are the dog b****** IMHO for quickly and precisely trimming or shaping sheet metal work !

I use the Parkside / Lidl branded ones (haven't tried the Bosch) which are super cheap but really great quality - one dedicated to cutting disks (and sharpening my TIG tungstens and one with a Roloc attachment for 2" and 3" flap disks and scuff disks (most disk types only available from China, via Ebay, and really excellent).
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Presuming a 911 floor is a bit like a roof........Its not a good thing if you can see light through it.

ImageB by richard cannings, on Flickr
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

It’s added ventilation? ;)
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Decided to make a start on the floor next, after much deliberation decided to go for restoration design panels with front/rear split……..then found that although Design 911 had them listed they has no confidence in when they would have them in stock. Dansk with a left/right split it was then. Must admit I that couldn’t be happier with the fit and quality, also actually think I now prefer the idea if the left right split as I can do the sills on one side before moving to the other side.
Did some thread searching and found a post from Barry on supporting the car with jack stands. Did this to the letter and measured the door gaps, to 0.01mm of course as I’ve finally bought a decent digital calliper. Added some bracing bars too, seems to have worked well as no movement detected.

Old floor fiberglass layer ripped out easily, then Plasma to roughly cut out the horror below.
ImageQ by richard cannings, on Flickr

ImageE by richard cannings, on Flickr

Needed to make some repair panels so invested in a Shrinker and stretcher from Frost which seem great for the money. Made a mount for them so they could be clamped in the vice.

ImageN by richard cannings, on Flickr

Right hand floor panel is now welded in place. Decided to drill the flanges and plug weld from above, jacking the floor up in the area I was welding. Hole for the plug welds of 7mm seemed the best and allowed a consistent weld with good penetration.

ImageJ by richard cannings, on Flickr

Still need to clean up a bit but getting on now with the right hand sill, first RSR arch removed.

Starting to look at suppliers for the ST arches, if anyone has a steel set tucked away then please let me know. From the research I've done they all seem to be the Anna Thom ones. Stuttgart Classica have them for 3K as do D911, although neither keep them in stock. Has anyone purchased direct? Happy to pay a UK supplier premium if they keep stock but there seems little point if they just get then sent to me from Poland. Dansk now do some front arches described as RS/Singer look for £890 a pair but not sure if the profile is correct. It the moment I'm thinking I may just wait and see if D911 have an Easter sale and just deal with the wait.
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

Brilliant, love a DIY thread!
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yep!
Hammers, blocks of wood and a good dose of enthusiasm and talent, most excellent. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Early911parts on here sells ST Flares direct. Think he supplies everybody else. I’ve never used hi, but many have and will hopefully vouch for him.

Rich
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

rich73 wrote:Starting to look at suppliers for the ST arches, if anyone has a steel set tucked away then please let me know......
....talk to Marek (does work for Dansk amongst much more), early911parts on here.....

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =5&t=67472

Great work btw :thumbright:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

....lol :P ....hope you're well Rich :)
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

That’s great, thanks for the info everyone.
Moved to the RH sill this week, new ones had been fitted but no jack point was fitted and the centre was only tacked on a few places. Had the plasma set to max to remove, forgetting that it goes through 8mm easily…..

Replacement outer 90mm tube from Butler Technik was only £26 and arrived next day.

More metal bashing.

Big thanks to everyone that documented their restoration so well on here, used them a reference for putting the sill back together.

Also fitted the Jacking Point reinforcement panel and kidney bowl. Opened a tube of Tiger seal and was going to start seam sealing but decided to leave it, think I've used Tiger Seal before but don't remember it being such awful stuff to work with. May be really good once its on but sticks to everything and hard to get out of the tube, maybe heating will help. Any recommendations of what seam sealer to use welcome. I was wondering up Raptor could be used or if its too runny, I've not used raptor before only Gravitex.

I was planning to get the outer sill fitted next but still trying to decide if I run the oil lines in the sill or not so decided to move across to the left side and get that to the same point. I’ve got all the panels so would be good to get them used. Was thinking external oil lines (Rose passion and Type911 seem so have just started doing them at a sensible price) then saw this strengthened jacking point that I’d really like to replicate but assume the oil lines may get in the way.

ImagePicture1 by richard cannings, on Flickr

The rear mounted cooler that Johnny has documented on Impact Bumpers is also interesting.

Rich
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

rich73 wrote:........ then saw this strengthened jacking point that I’d really like to replicate but assume the oil lines may get in the way......
....you can get around it.......

rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Thanks for that Darren, Great picture.
Presume they were custom or modified lines?
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

rich73 wrote:Thanks for that Darren, Great picture.
Presume they were custom or modified lines?
....modified, a little cut and shut by Gary Cook, needed if you go with the modification.