3.2 Carrera 89 heavy steering

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

3.2 Carrera 89 heavy steering

Post by ianmorrow »

I had an 89 3.2 back in 1990 and from memory the steering was heavy. Now I am 30 years older and I have an 89 3.2 again . The steering is heavy at stop and turning at slow speed. This is a problem for darling wife whom I am keen to encourage as I am secretly planning a run to the Austrian alps in the summer all being well . I recently drove my chums 79 SC and the steering was much lighter . Yes it’s maybe a lighter car with slightly narrower wheels but the difference was remarkable. My car is having some winter work done and the steering has been stripped repacked with grease etc but there are no major problems evident. Any thoughts please.
Northy
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 3.2 Carrera 89 heavy steering

Post by Northy »

Tyre size, tread depth, suspension geometry all play into it. At low speeds probably the most noticeable is a wider tyre and/or less tread depth. Your 3.2 might be running a 7” front vs the 6” on the SC. I rebuild my steering rack and it made a noticeable difference to how smooth the steering was, but probably no change in effort.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I guess if you are having to eke out marginal improvements then it may also be worth considering turbo track rods which will be more efficient at transmitting steering demand. But as Lewis says probably worth considering moving to 6s and 7s for your wheels as per the SC. You could all ways fit spacers to keep the look of a wheel filling the arch.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

There’s nothing wrong with yours, it’s just how they are.

The lazier revving and heavier steering are why I think the 3.2 is the low point in 911 evolution. Both the SC and 964 feel so much livelier.

As above, 6s and 7s (15s if you can bear the look) will improve it no end and a trip to a firm who know how to set up the geometry for the feel you seek will get you much nearer what you seek. Centre Gravity, Tuthill, Tech 9 - those sort of folks.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

There are some good power steering kits if you really want a big change. Some would say sacrilege, but might make the car more usable.
The force is strong in this one ......
Nige

Post by Nige »

Heavy steering at low speed is to be pretty much expected of anything without PAS. The extra rubber on the ground from wider tyres is the main cause and getting too comfortable in your modern car.

I seem to recall some while ago on the Impact Bumper forum an owner installed an off the variable electric steering device, it all fitted into the smugglers box. You could adjust when and how much assistance or switch it off totally.

Though checking your tyre pressures and geometry will always be a benefit anyway. I think an 89 3.2 may have 7 & 8" fitted as standard, my 88 had 6 & 7" standard but I changed to 7 & 9" I can't recall much change heaviness but I'm pretty robust!
Nige

Post by Nige »

32FlatSix
DDK addict

Post by 32FlatSix »

I don't think a standard 3.2 ever had 7" rims on the front in 16" diameter. My last of the G series '89 CS has 6 and 8's and that was a change made just to the rear, I think for the last year.
Chris
ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

Post by ianmorrow »

Thanks all for the advice. I note what Sam says re the heavier steering and lower revs . I have had the opportunity to drive a well sorted 79 SC and my 89 3.2 back to back. Yes the cars are very different but neither is the worse for that . The SC was so easy to rev that I instantly thought that the rev counter was faulty it span up to the red quickly and effortlessly in every gear.The newly rebuilt 915 gearbox was a complete joy to use. The new Bilsteins excellent but a little more bouncy than the new Boge on mine. The 3.2 by contrast felt more planted, maybe more grown up , more refined, yes heavier but more low down torque and above 4500 rpm strong with seemingly endless power. I would be happy with either but would not change what I have got. The SC is Minerva blue with a cork and plaid interior so of its era and gorgeous. The 89 is Baltic Blue and linen again very 80s and lovely. The steering of the 3.2 has just been stripped cleaned and repacked with grease . I haven’t tried it yet but will report on any improvement. Please just bring on vaccines and sunshine so we can all get out again.
ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

Post by ianmorrow »

PS thanks for all the information re the power steering Nige but to me akin to a stair lift so not on my watch but thanks again.
Sam

Post by Sam »

32FlatSix wrote:I don't think a standard 3.2 ever had 7" rims on the front in 16" diameter. My last of the G series '89 CS has 6 and 8's and that was a change made just to the rear, I think for the last year.
Chris
That’s right. Only the Super Sports / SSEs had wider fronts.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Best have the caster checked out?
Could be too much dialed in.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9