Refurbishing Solex carbs

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

busybee
DDK Seasoned Poster

Refurbishing Solex carbs

Post by busybee »

Hi guys. Looking for some advice. Looking at refurbishing a pair of Solex carbs from a 68 912.
Rebuild kit with new gaskets? Plenty of carb cleaner? How do you best clean the outside bodies and the air cleaner bodies?
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Re: Refurbishing Solex carbs

Post by visualfx »

Ultra sonic cleaner works really well on the bodies an they are not that expensive

One additional thing to check is the bases being square/flat, they tend to warp from being tightened down to much over the years. This causes air leaks no matter how many gaskets you apply :(

A scim by a machine shop works well while they are stripped

Garry
robs912
DDK Fanatic

Post by robs912 »

Also check if there is any play in the throttle shafts that will cause air leaks. If there is you can end up wasting your time on them as you can never get them to run correctly. The only solution to this is an expensive refurb with machining work. Sometimes it's cheaper to fit brand new webers.
Rob
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

I'm on the lookout for someone to rebuild my carbs too. There is possible spindle wear so am trying to find someone who can deal with machining etc.. too. There don't seem to be many people in the UK for this type of work at the moment.

I'll let you know if I find anyone!

Ollie