Any 356 for sale ?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Any 356 for sale ?

Post by tangerineT »

Hello everyone

I'd like to find a 356 and I can probably stretch to a reasonable 356A but having owned expensive cars and then being scared of leaving them anywhere I think I'd just like something scruffy /non original or even a replica

My preference is A or preA coupes but a speedster could tickle my fancy too if I like it

I was following the rhd A for sale thread recently but was awaiting a house sale to finalise so wasn't able to buy it ... it would've probably blown my budget fixing it too

Anyone here have any leads ?

Thanks Matthew
majordad
I luv DDK!

Re: Any 356 for sale ?

Post by majordad »

Theres one on Collecting Cars Auction site. I’ve no affiliation and just happened to remember seeing the advert.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

Thanks for that

Think I want a scruffy looking car that I can enjoy and leave it wherever I go

Anyone got such a car for sale ?
drew01356
DDK addict

Post by drew01356 »

Hi Matthew
Sorry to hear you missed out on my RHD 59, the first person to see it bought it.
BUT... I have another RHD 59, you can follow the restoration here.
https://forum.abcgt.com/forum/main-foru ... ican-queen
It may be outside your budget as it will be fully restored by the end of 2021 (hopefully).
But keep in touch as a deal is always a possibility.
Regards
Drew
Surrey
1944 Porsche Type 82 Kubelwagen Sold
1959 A RHD WUF 810 Sold
1959 A LHD Convertible D Sold
1959 A RHD UK car Sold
1959 A RHD South African car in the workshop now
1959 Messerschmitt Kr201 close to completion
1959 A LHD Convertible D the final project
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Drew - the detail & quality of your restoration work is simply stunning 8)

Martin
Surrey
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

drew01356 wrote:Hi Matthew
Sorry to hear you missed out on my RHD 59, the first person to see it bought it.
BUT... I have another RHD 59, you can follow the restoration here.
https://forum.abcgt.com/forum/main-foru ... ican-queen
It may be outside your budget as it will be fully restored by the end of 2021 (hopefully).
But keep in touch as a deal is always a possibility.
Regards
Drew
Surrey

Hi Drew

Yes I did contact you about your car but I hadn't completed my house sale and therefore couldn't commit... it was about 10 days after you sold that I received my money..anyway that's life !

I don't know what your sale price will be on your latest project but if I'm honest I don't really want a freshly painted car so I'd probably be more interested as is

Thanks Matthew
drew01356
DDK addict

Post by drew01356 »

Hi Matthew
I have sent you a PM.
Regards
Drew
1944 Porsche Type 82 Kubelwagen Sold
1959 A RHD WUF 810 Sold
1959 A LHD Convertible D Sold
1959 A RHD UK car Sold
1959 A RHD South African car in the workshop now
1959 Messerschmitt Kr201 close to completion
1959 A LHD Convertible D the final project
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

PRS have a red B that matches your desires.

Except it’s a B.

I wouldn’t mention it except it looks quite good. For a B.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Sam wrote:PRS have a red B that matches your desires.

Except it’s a B.

I like that a lot!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

Sam wrote:PRS have a red B that matches your desires.

Except it’s a B.

Hi Sam . Yes it does look good but not for me

Thanks for suggesting it though
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

......For a B......

T5B is spot on for a drive it without worries 356. Stonking value for money when compared to the earlier cars, has all the driving features of the earlier cars but none of the appearance failures of the later cars. I went shopping 15 years ago for a salt free daily driver to leave out in the rain April-November......couldn't afford an A.....still love it, 40k miles in my ownership, they are all rusting and the price of that one, when compared to the others they have for sale says it all.....They are great people too, you should visit and try them all, and you cant see any of the 'A' stuff when you're behind the wheel.

I like that one ( almost exactly like mine), but i reinstated the bumpers, albeit without overriders and with GT trims....

T5B the driving person's 356....

W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

https://www.thornleykelham.com/sales/19 ... d-coupe-2/

This has been posted before I think, but could be a really nice car if the outside could preserved in anyway.
64 356C
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

Hello All

Having looked at a few 356A projects around the 50 to 60 thousand pound range I'm amazed how rotten they can be for the money or if they're not rotten they're missing all those lovely bits that make them special

I wanted a 356 I could fix up but don't really have 70 grand to spend at the moment hence not gon to look at that B..I'm realistically more around the £50k

I suppose if I wasn't neck deep in a 65 e type rebuild and didn't just buy a 911 T targa I couldve put more into a 356A

I've been offered a 356C that needs some effort and whilst not as pretty as the earlier cars I wondered how good these are for a run and drive ,leave it outside the pub kinda car?

I'm thinking outlaw type of build !!....?. £35k for 356c or build a replica ?
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Been following this thread and I make a few comments. I have been driving my 356A now for over 50 years and likewise have been working on it for over 50 years to keep it operational and even today I did some miles in it.

In all these years I can say my 356C that I drove in the early 70's as a daily driver suffered the same rust problems as earlier models. I made my mind up in 1973 to keep my very original 356A off wet roads its why it still has original floors and battery box. I watched my 356C getting rustier and rustier in places and I sold it then as very reliable runner.

I bought my car in the 60's, after only 10 years they rusted over here in the UK. Sure, Nevada or some parts of California they lasted much longer but then you have LHD cars are you happy with that? Lucky mine is RHD but that carries a premium.

So, you start looking and if the car is really poor and you are really not able to work on it or even have the equipment to make a start then your pockets need to be very deep to get it operational and safe. I have seen people easily spending well over 50K just to get it running much , much, more to get it really nice.
With cars around 40 -50K you will need to spend! Look at the Hagerty valuation website people selling these cars at that value know what they could be worth unless the market crashes.

You need a car it seems to leave anywhere without too much worry. They will still worry you as if you spend say 45K ( a lot of money!!) you won't want to treat it just like a 20 year old modern car and just park it anywhere.

You could search the market and buy a really well prepared plastic Speedster for the 30-35K figure. It has the looks and should drive okay on our busy roads but it has a hood so you can't really leave it just outside all the time. A difficult decision to make but....be really careful an if you see a 356 at a good price get it checked by someone who knows them before parting with the money.

Its only my thoughts on your situation just be careful really. PRS I am sure would be really helpful they have all the experience and know all the pitfalls!!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
tangerineT
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tangerineT »

roy mawbey wrote:Been following this thread and I make a few comments. I have been driving my 356A now for over 50 years and likewise have been working on it for over 50 years to keep it operational and even todjay I did some miles in it.

In all these years I can say my 356C that I drove in the early 70's as a daily driver suffered the same rust problems as earlier models. I made my mind up in 1973 to keep my very original 356A off wet roads its why it still has original floors and battery box. I watched my 356C getting rustier and rustier in places and I sold it then as very reliable runner.

I bought my car in the 60's, after only 10 years they rusted over here in the UK. Sure, Nevada or some parts of California they lasted much longer but then you have LHD cars are you happy with that? Lucky mine is RHD but that carries a premium.

So, you start looking and if the car is really poor and you are really not able to work on it or even have the equipment to make a start then your pockets need to be very deep to get it operational and safe. I have seen people easily spending well over 50K just to get it running much , much, more to get it really nice.
With cars around 40 -50K you will need to spend! Look at the Hagerty valuation website people selling these cars at that value know what they could be worth unless the market crashes.

You need a car it seems to leave anywhere without too much worry. They will still worry you as if you spend say 45K ( a lot of money!!) you won't want to treat it just like a 20 year old modern car and just park it anywhere.

You could search the market and buy a really well prepared plastic Speedster for the 30-35K figure. It has the looks and should drive okay on our busy roads but it has a hood so you can't really leave it just outside all the time. A difficult decision to make but....be really careful an if you see a 356 at a good price get it checked by someone who knows them before parting with the money.

Its only my thoughts on your situation just be careful really. PRS I am sure would be really helpful they have all the experience and know all the pitfalls!!

Roy
Thanks for the advice Roy , I might call PRS ....

When I say I want to leave the car ,carefree ...I mean that I hated leaving my 911T anywhere as it was so close to concours that even a small scratch would've upset me..,, biagio told me i had to wash the newly anodised trim with baby shampoo. ....and who has tIme to do that?

... I'd like scruffy paint and rusty bumpers so it doesn't matter if someone opens a door onto it