Ooops - need a new oil pressure pipe, the long expensive one

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

deano
I luv DDK!

Ooops - need a new oil pressure pipe, the long expensive one

Post by deano »

Don't suppose anyone has one of these going spare for a T,E,S engine? There are a few on Ebay USA, but thought I would try here first. Unfortunately, mine snapped in two because I didnt disconnect it before my engine drop - big ooops, and regrets! I've never done that before :roll: :cry:

Can be seen below from the PET; its the one that goes from the bottom of the oil tank (large nut) with a short hose section that crimps to a hard pipe that curves under the bell housing and around to the front lower left side of the engine....

Potentially, I suppose, this might be repaired in situ by Dremel'ing off the hose/crimp on the end of the hard pipe, shortening the flexible hose to the oil tank and fitting a short hard pipe into the end, then joining the two hard pipes together with new hose (and hoping that the diameters are a close match!).

Have one spare or any thoughts on the repair?
Attachments
OilTankPressurePipe.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Re: Ooops - need a new oil pressure pipe, the long expensive

Post by DEEMAN »

You have PM
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

What thread size 26mm (up to1971 MY) and 1972 on is 30mm x 1.5mm. I have the latter.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

How wedded are you to the original look?
Later years don't have the hard pipe. Instead it's flexible all the way and goes over the gearbox. More robust, as you have found. It's very easy to make a fully flexi replacement from Mocal or Aeroquip standard parts for minimal cost.

For slightly more cost, looks more authentic - if your coupling at the oil tank end of the flexi hose is the original "Argus" aluminium style, that part is obvs reusable. Could maybe find another M26 Argus coupling for the other end (an elbow) and make a more authentic looking fully-flex pipe.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Thanks for the tips guys. I realised later that there are two sizes. My car (and engine) is 73, but I had better measure before committing to buy one. If it were possible, I would prefer to fix it without removing it because my research revealed that the nut on the hard end sometimes won't budge and prefers to be cut off. If I do have to remove the pipe, I would rather replace it with the same part I think, as opposed to a flexible one. Luckily there is no hurry - the engine will sit on the floor for a wee while now... :cyclopsani:

I'll report back on size soon, and have a look to see what this Argus thingy is :lol: ...
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Sorry, I thought I had uploaded a picture.... here it is....
Attachments
SnappedOilPressureLine.JPG
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

BILLY BEAN wrote:What thread size 26mm (up to1971 MY) and 1972 on is 30mm x 1.5mm. I have the latter.
Which end is this please - tank end or the opposite end ?

(I think I can only 'measure' the nut size at the opposite end. The heat exchanger is still on, and sitting on my trusty home made engine skate so cannot get a spanner to it at the moment)
Dean
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

deano wrote:
BILLY BEAN wrote:What thread size 26mm (up to1971 MY) and 1972 on is 30mm x 1.5mm. I have the latter.
Which end is this please - tank end or the opposite end ?

(I think I can only 'measure' the nut size at the opposite end. The heat exchanger is still on, and sitting on my trusty home made engine skate so cannot get a spanner to it at the moment)
The pipe I have is 30 x 1.5 mm at each end. One end male and one end female. The nut is approximately 35mm across the flats.
Rust Never Sleeps
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Just measured it, its the larger size 30 mm on my engine:

Oil tank nut 36mm flat to flat, approx 30mm thread diameter
Hose diameters 32 OD / 20 ID
Hose length approx 250 mm from end of nut to start of hard pipe crimp
Hard pipe OD 22 mm.
I could not get to the nut at the end of the hard pipe to measure, but we think the nut size is same both ends.

Turns out that DEEMAN had the smaller nut size version spare, dated late 68 if anyone needs that size....
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Still need this - kind offers so far turned out not to be what I needed...

- its the 30 mm ish thread size (36 spanner size) that I need, that includes a 250 mm ish section of hose fitted to one end of the hard pipe... looks just like that shown in the PET diagram.

I suppose an alternative might be to source, or have made, the flexible hose section with the nut on one end and nothing on the other, cut the old crimp off the end of the hard pipe (shown in my photo), and fit the new hose over the underlying hard pipe + a couple of jubilee clips to hold the hose onto the hard pipe... equipment is needed to crimp the hose on properly with a Cohline sleeve, so thats oot of the question for me...
Dean
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

i have sent you pm
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

OOoops, I should have read further down the PET.

My pipe turns out to be a 73-only pipe with part number 911 107 722 00 (not 901 107 720 01). These parts look the same in the PET, but no idea whether the threads are the same as earlier cars, or same length of the hose section (except 72, which has a much longer hose section by the looks of it). I think that the later 2-piece 74-77 911S 2.7 solution might fit, although I am not 100% sure whether the thread size is the same 30 mm or not... and I think the hose section may be longer (mine is 225 mm from end of oil tank nut to the start of the crimp at the other end). I expect that the oil pump is relying on gravity to keep it wetted by the oil tank, so we dont want any excess pipe length creating the potential for uphill sections (maybe I'm thinking too much...)

Picture here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/7027649-post1.html
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Re: Ooops - need a new oil pressure pipe, the long expensive one

Post by deano »

Gents, I still need to find a solution for my sheered-off 1973-only oil pipe (see PET image in first post to see which one).

I have attached pics of the end of my hard pipe section (cross-over pipe), which is clearly designed for a hose crimp.

As mentioned previously, I would prefer not to have to remove the hard pipe to make this repair, to avoid damage to it or my engine, and I don't think it would be possible to get a proper crimp tool on without removing it - this makes the crimp solution undesirable.

1) The engineer in me would never allow any kind of bodge, but the shape of the end of the hard pipe suggests to me that a couple of good Jubilee clips will make a perfectly sound, if not original, or pretty, solution - what do people think about whether this will work either as a permanent solution or semi-permanent solution to get me back on the road?

2) As an alternative and slightly more barmy solution, I think it would be perfectly feasible for me to grind/taper down the end of the pipe, to make it suitable for an internally threaded sleeve (Argus?) using the bits shown in the third pic below (minus the J-section, hose is Cohline 2633 22x30). In theory, slide the hose on and then screw the internally threaded sleeve on.

3) Maybe it would just be better all-round to fit the later 2-part hard oil pipe and flexi hose, remove the heat exchanger to get access to the oil pump end, and Dremel/split the nut off at the oil pump end. I'm not sure if those parts have the correct size fittings (M30 x 1.5 nut, needs 35mm ish spanner).

What do people think, and does anyone have any of these bits surplus?

Cheers!
73oilpipe.JPG
73oilpipe2.JPG
DIY flexi.jpg
Last edited by deano on Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

If it helps Dean, I've got a pair of the latter pipes currently sitting on ebay. If you decide to go that way, let me know and we can sort something out
Peter
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

Just use the push fit aeroquip pipe. My whole car is piped like that. Job done.