Rattle.

Please post your jokes here, we do have a sense of humour! (keep it clean though)

Moderator: Bootsy

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Rattle.

Post by mycar »

KS

Re: Rattle.

Post by KS »

That is actually not too far removed from reality... I used to work for the Institute of the Motor Industry, editing their magazine. The job entailed rubbing shoulders with many of the bigwigs in the motor industry, some of whom had some great stories to tell over lunch. One of the former management staff of Rover told me how, back in the '60s, a customer had gone back to the dealer to complain about a rattling from what appeared to be behind the dashboard of his new Rover 2000. The dealer stripped out the dash, and refitted it, taking care to make sure cables were routed correctly, etc. The customer came back a few days later to say the rattle was still there. The dealer stripped out the entire interior of the car and found nothing. The customer came back a week later by which time he was fuming. Rover agreed to take the car back and gave him a replacement, which was fine. However, the original car was sent back to the factory to find out what was going on. It was eventually stripped down to a bare shell, but the rattle was still there when the bodyshell was rocked. Using a stethoscope, the rattle was traced to within the door pillar on the driver's side. The pillar was cut open and inside they found a nut with a label tied to it. The label read: 'Serves you right, you rich old git!' – it appears a disgruntled assembly line worker had decided to vent his anger about the company in a rather imaginative way…
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
mycar

Post by mycar »

:laughing6: Puts me in mind of the shrimp and the curtain pole (true) story.

According to someone who knows someone who knows someone, a recently divorced woman had to give up her home and all its furnishings as part of her divorce settlement. She packed her personal belongings into boxes, garment bags and suitcases. Then, she sat down for a farewell meal in what had once been her happy home. She put candles on the dining room table, soft music on the CD player, and laid out a feast of caviar, shrimp and champagne.

When she had finished, she walked around her home for one last time. She went into each and every room and focused on the happy memories. And then she deposited a few half-eaten shrimp shells, dipped in caviar, into the hollow of the curtain poles. Then she cleaned up the kitchen, put her things into a U-Haul and left.

The next day, her ex-husband and his new girlfriend moved into the home. All was bliss for the first few days. Then slowly, the house began to smell. They tried everything: cleaning and mopping and airing the place out. Vents were checked for dead rodents, and carpets were steam-cleaned. Air fresheners were hung everywhere. They moved out for a few days while exterminators set off gas canisters. They replaced the expensive wool carpeting. Nothing worked.

People stopped coming over to visit. Repairmen refused to work in the house. The maid quit. Finally, they could not take the stench any longer and decided to move.

A month later, even though they had cut their price in half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky house. Word got out, and eventually, the local real estate agents would not return their calls. Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from the bank to buy a new place.

The ex-wife called her ex-husband and asked how things were going. He told her the saga of the smelly house. She listened politely and said that she missed her old home terribly and would be willing to buy the house, even though it obviously had some kind of a problem. Knowing his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was, he agreed on a price that was a 10th of what the house had been worth -- but only if she were to sign the papers that very day. She agreed, and within the hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork.

A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood smirking as they watched the moving company pack everything to take to their new home. Including the curtain poles.
Sam

Post by Sam »

A few years ago my 914 started making a hideous clattering. It sounded bottom-endy and terminal so I shut it off, got recovered home and set about saving for an engine rebuild. 9 months later I bit the bullet and took it to the engine builder.

Turns out a tinware nut had come loose and was clattering about in the engine fan. Total repair bill £25.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.