All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Post by Nine One One »

Have you actually tested the horn works by putting 12v and earth across the terminals, otherwise you could be spending a lot of time chasing something that is not there?
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes. First thing I did because I had bought a replacement

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

Horn failure is pretty commonplace - they're cheap Bosch units that simply give up the ghost, usually after a period of working intermittently.

You can check if the relay is working by listening for a click as you push the horn button. The relay is on the fuse panel under the dash on the left side. Two screws allow you to drop the fuse panel down for access.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. No click when I press the horn so I will try to get to the relay

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Made some progress. Found the relay. Connected 30 directly to 87 and the horn sounded. Then I tested the relay and it clicked. I swapped it with another relay and the horn still didn't work.

Then I tested the resistance from the horn pad brown wire to 85 and 86 but nothing?

I think that the brown wire from the horn pad connects to fuse 8 and then 86?

I need to check that next. However, I've no idea how to take the steering column apart

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

A brown wire should not connect to any fuse - it’s an earth!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

So 85 br/wh wire going to 24

On the diagram I see J4 which is the wire to the relay.

I guess somehow the brown line in horn pad gets earth and completes the circuit?ImageImage

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Yes, the horn contact goes to earth completing the circuit
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm not having much fun.

A new coil arrived. I took the earth off the battery and fitted. Making sure to have the same wires going to the negative/positive.

I replaced the earth wire to the battery and no green light. I had disconnected the oil pressure wire. Another 10 mins wasted finding a suitable connector. Then I tried to start and nothing!

I checked the battery and my multi meter said no voltage. A bit strange seeing I have it on a trickle solar charger. I have two back up batteries so I remove and put on the mains charger. It thinks it has voltage! Seems my multi meter picked has stopped working!

There isn't a fuse to the starter so I'm very confused as to why it not even turning. I did a quick check to see if I had moved a fuse but no.

Even if I installed the coil wrongly the doesn't impact the starter motor?

Unless I have an add-on starter relay under the car?

Last edited by neilbardsley on Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Battery back on and car started

majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Over the years I’ve believed it’s always the battery, even when it’s not !
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Well I had to drive the car somewhere this morning and what a difference the new coil makes. Started instantly. Ran right and continued running right even when warm. No flat spots. Started again immediately, after 30mins, when stopped. Working as a 914 should. It's going to have the sump temperature and pressure reader sensor fitted today.

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Picked up the car. Temperature and pressure gauge installed. Sump temperature dip stick and hose to VDO gauge that have been connected to the bolt holding in the battery.

I think I should/could of done most of this myself but I didn't know how to get the wires from the bay to the front.

They also gave it a tune. I had correctly balanced the carbs. Max adv was about 31/32 at 3500 rpm. which is about right. They only thing they noted was that some of the idle jets were partially blocked. I asked them how they knew. If they were reacting poorly to the mix screw but it appears they could hear it at idle.

Now the car is very smooth and pulls strongly.

Many thanks to Jonathan and Keith for helping me source the right bits of kit.

Time for a road tripImageImageImageImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Well I solved my horn problem. Using extreme ignorance. While driving, for a walk near Edge Hill, I tired to use the wipers but they didn't work. I figured I must of swapped the horn and wiper relays so I tried to use the horn. Then I discovered I had been pressing it wrongly and it worked.

Short story is that I need a new relay.

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

When I got back to my car I thought the rear, valance I put on, doesn't look too bad :)Image