All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Post by neilbardsley »

Wipers and horn now working. New relay fitted

Odometer returned to JDO as it stopped workingImageImage

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Tested the relay I took out and it's working.

Next I tried to sort the radio but no luck. Searching on another forum it appears the connection point from the body is earth. The there are two 12v connectors. One is power to the radio and the other the light. I got some sparks and maybe power on but nothing.

I'm thinking if just hiding one of these behind. I'm not great with electronics but seems I just have to connect power and speakers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-5- ... 0bdf47.jpg[/img]Image

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

New addition to the garage arrived today. First time I've used on since at school in 87? Now I'm waiting for the 44mm saw drill to arrive to widen my heat insulatorsImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

It took ages to make a wood gig but it worked.ImageImage

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Excellent!

Some of my ideas are known to work. Nice to try them out in someone else’s garage :lol: :lol:
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

And then cut your own gaskets with correct paper clamped between two insulators and use a sharp model knife to cut.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

911hillclimber wrote:And then cut your own gaskets with correct paper clamped between two insulators and use a sharp model knife to cut.
Thank you. I have bgt some but I will try that

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Mrs Bardsley actually helped to create some new gaskets. Now I need to fit themImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Unfortunately I hadn't measured the studs from the inlet manifold and they are longer enough. I did manage to get them on but without a washer and only by a millimetre. I thought about moving the studs up a bit but then decided to buy some longer ones.

Very interestingly was the tightness of the nuts I took off. Which was only just over hand tight. I've read about not over tightening so not to warp the mating surfaces. The chap that put it together has done 600 plus engines so he knows what he is doing. With/without photosImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Longer studs installed. £4.85 for 8! Bless eBay.

Heat insulator gaskets and washer added. Waiting for Speedo to come back so I can testImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Got my Speedo back odometer working. I balanced the carbs after putting the new heat insulators on. They were pretty good but I got them closer. Went for a drive and the car ran beautifully.Image

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That's great news Neil !

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

Hooooooo-ray!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

On my 914 (6 conversion) the isolators were between the head and the manifold, rather than manifold and carb - although presumably the effect is the same. I did not fit them incorrectly, as they had a cut out for injector or carb applications. However, certainly easier to extend the studs you have Neil than those in the heads.

Good job, hopefully fixes the issues.

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

3 trouble free hours of driving to Shelsey Walsh and back. Mostly fast motorways. Some very tight lanes near the hill.