All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

andytat
DDK forever

Re: All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Post by andytat »

Hi Neil.
Cars looking good.
Where did you send your speedo for the odometer repair?
Thanks
Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

http://www.jdo1.com/contact_details.html

Highly recommended

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Progress. I've got the instruments lights working. Using a combination of new holders bought on eBay and LED bulbs. These holders didn't have P tax so we're £1.7. I also replaced some of the other worn gauge bulb holders, which doesn't earth to the body of the gauge. These weren't such a bargain at about £5.

I finally found the flasher relay. It has been opened before but does look to be in bad condition. I've ordered a new one. I tried some LED bulbs for the indicators but they only flashed once :(

Also changed the oil and filter then cleaned the slump. I've moved back from mineral to full Synthetic 10/40ImageImageImage

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I was worried about seeing some shinny bits in the oil that came out of the engine but couldn't remember if I cleaned the pan before using it so I opened the old filter.

Looks ok?ImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Interesting video on how to install LED strip lights to your gauges

https://youtu.be/r3xJxEiIlIQ

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Did you sort the insulation tape on those wires Neil? I would get some oversize heat shrink and place over the connector and then shrink down for a permanent secure solution if you haven’t already…
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Good idea. Something like this?

rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

No, those ones you would need to cut off and remake every connection.

Vehicle Wiring Solutions do heatshrink by the metre, I keep loads of different types on the shelf. I would just use a larger one (8 or 10mm) slide over the end of the connector you have, then shrink. It will not be tight to the thin wire, but it will full and safely insulate the entire connector.

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Here you go

Ignore the part insulated connector as it was all I had to hand. Note I made a terrible connection to illustrate!

Then sleeve and shrink - neat and permanent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

New relay arrived. It's going to be tough to get back in. I have to put my head by the pedals to access but then I can't see the socket. I can if I use a mirror but the relay blocks the view.

I might have to remove the gauge panel?

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

New relay in. The socket for the relay had a rubber bun that fitted into a hole. Sorted the best initial problem but now the gauge indicators are flashing with the handbrake light. Everything back together and I'm going to live with that problem.

rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

That sounds like a disturbed earth Neil
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. I will leave it a bit and search again. There is only so much time I wish to spend the wrong way up in my car :)

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I have to drop my daughter off somewhere so I have the 914 a test drive. All the gauge lights are brighter. I now get a double flash on the gauge when I cancel an indicator. I don't have to use the handbrake so all didn't worry about the double gauge indicator flash.

This is the relay I'm using. Works with LED bulbs too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-911- ... 635-2958-0

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Today took the cigarette lighter off and cleaned the contacts. Now we can charge phones in the car.