Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Post by 911hillclimber »

I would be interested to see a pic of the RHD conversion panel you removed unless it's in the skip!

I know a company who cut the dash to swop the column over and the dial panel, bet it was one of theirs.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Hi, unfortunately I don't have the RHD conversion panel although there is a picture of the main cut out sections of bodywork below:
05 Scrap pile.JPG
It does show the 'cut and shut' dash and other parts various. It probably isn't particularly helpful.

Cheers, Neil
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks for the pic, understandably in the pile.
I've seen just 2 of these conversions where the LHD panel of the dash is simply cut out, sectioned and welded back in and gap left all over the place, the dash top covering the lot.

I did my own conversion 27 years ago but using Porsche panels and RHD pedals etc, hence my interest.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I remember your write up of the Conversion you completed. Mine sounds similar to the ones you have seen.
The resulting dashboard was odd in that, despite everything looking sort of reasonable having the heater on the RHS of the steering wheel and the Ignition switch on the LHS of the steering wheel was peculiar. Obviously parts of the dash were cut and relocated with the minimum amount of effort. The steering column tube requires modification which I have done which they didn't bother with back in the day (obviously).

I think the new (to the car) dash/bulkhead cut is going to be prepped and put in the place next week/week after and the doors are going to be hung in readiness for the sills to be finished. It will be quite exciting to see it coming that close to completion.

Cheers, Neil
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Excellent project ... the kind of thing we only seem to find here on DDK.

The freight bill on getting that whole floor to NZ must have been significant in and of itself?

Best, John
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Yes the floor-pan was quite expensive to ship (below is a snip of the invoice $NZ) GST to be added on top...
Floor Pan and shipping.png
Floor Pan and shipping.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Petrol Tank came up quite well. There is just a little bit of rust in one area which, I believe, is good to treat with Rust Inhibitor and I will treat the tank to Por15 Petrol Tank sealant.

This is the general view of the tank
IMG_3643.jpg
Here is a close-up of the rust
IMG_3644.jpg
Just some last tidying up of the Petrol Tank, Rust Inhibitor and application of the Por15 Petrol Tank sealant.

I will then prime and apply the Stone Chip paint and top coat :bounce:

Cheers, Neil
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Hi. Your petrol tank worries me a little. I'd get it leak tested before use.

If you are talking about sealing the tank inside I think people have had mixed results with that. The sealant broke down gradually on a friends car and was eventually identified as the cause of rough running due to blockage caused by loose sealant.

Finally, once you're sure it is not leaking and is well rust treated, you can get stone chip that can be coloured. That would be a better job than top coat.

Best.

Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Thanks Al for your advice with regards the petrol tank. I have made quite a bit of progress with it. I completed cleaning it up and got rid of 99% of the rust. I then used Rust Converter. It is looking pretty good. I will fill the tank up and check for any leaks prior to undertaking any treatment. I have sought the advice of an experienced welder who said that the tank was in reasonable condition.
Petrol tank after rust converter application
Petrol tank after rust converter application
Tank with plenty of other parts
Tank with plenty of other parts
I have left it one side for now and moved on to the rear lights. They need a fair amount of attention. One of the lights has been battered about and needs straightening. Both need cleaning up and the reflective surfaces recoating (if that is possible). I will then look into the H1 headlights. Mechanically and electrically they are good but the reflectors are fairly poor. I will see about taking all four units to get them recoated.
Wonky LHS rear light
Wonky LHS rear light
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Before anyone spots the deliberate mistake that is my battered RHS rear light - soon to be straightened out and 'spiffed up'.

Incidentally does anyone know whether the reflectors in H1 headlights are 'silvered' or are they 'vapor deposited aluminium' coated?

Thanks in advance if anyone can confirm.

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Work continues on my car. I am part way through the Petrol tank. I have painted the exterior and am awaiting a few hours to treat the inside with POR15 petrol tank sealer. I have stripped the headlights (H1s) and decided that the reflectors need re-plating. I struggled to find anyone that can re-plate them in New Zealand so they are off to Australia! Replacements were going to cost too much and I didn't like the idea of the re-imagined H1 headlights that you can buy. I like the idea of restoring my original ones.
Petrol tank painted but will be getting stone chip and black paint to finish
Petrol tank painted but will be getting stone chip and black paint to finish
One of the headlights for restoration
One of the headlights for restoration
The reflectors removed from both headlights
The reflectors removed from both headlights
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I have continued on with work. I have been getting parts vapour blasted and the results are really pleasing enabling parts that look past their best to be repaired, plated, painted or whatever suits.
My calipers are looking good - I am debating what colour they will be painted but am defaulting (I think) to silver
My calipers are looking good - I am debating what colour they will be painted but am defaulting (I think) to silver
Various parts cleaned up
Various parts cleaned up
Rear light looking loads better and straightened. Needs some minor repair.
Rear light looking loads better and straightened. Needs some minor repair.
Work continues...

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I started the stone-chipping of my petrol tank. I was only able to add a single coat.

I will continue this evening.
58 Petrol tank part stone-chipped.jpg
The rear discs cleaned up beautifully. I will paint the 'drum part' to protect from future rust...
59 Rear disks.jpg
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Further cleaning up of the Rear Lights reveals pitting and some holes. The RHS light had a crack and playing around with trying to adjust the metalwork resulted in a chuck coming away. I have re-inserted this part and acquired some metal filler to tidy these up. There are areas missing also that need to be built back up. I am confident these Rear Lights will look really good once I am finished.
This is the light with a chunk missing that I have epoxied back in place the area will be filled and sanded back
This is the light with a chunk missing that I have epoxied back in place the area will be filled and sanded back
Pitting is evident here - should look fine once filled and painted
Pitting is evident here - should look fine once filled and painted
Tab is missing to locate the bulb circuit board
Tab is missing to locate the bulb circuit board
I will update as I go. I am going to use chrome reflective paint on the reflector areas and silver on the exterior. New seals (etc.) are on their way.

Cheers, Neil
Gary71

Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Post by Gary71 »

If you get stuck on reinstating that build holder you can drill out the hole and put a bulb holder in instead.
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Gary, that is great to know. I was planning on re-instating the circuit board. Someone had already butchered/repaired one and used a hefty amount of red silicon gunk to hold the circuit board in place.

Changing out to bulb holders is definitely a great Plan B.

Cheers, Neil