Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Neilnaz
DDK addict

Re: Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Post by Neilnaz »

Hi, just working through details of the front bulkhead/dashboard assembly of my car. As you may know my 1971 was provided with a 'cut' from a much later car (Carrera I think) which is similar but not identical. I now am working through correcting the differences. Some differences are simply the addition of holes for 'stuff' over time and these additional holes will be welded up.

My car:

One difference that is glaringly obvious is the bracket/appendage for the Brake Booster and the associated recess.
Another difference is the area surrounding the Smuggler's Box and Lid.

What it should look like:

We have decided to amend these areas.

Option 1) Cut/Weld/Fabricate
Option 2) Cut and weld in a replacement section

Option 2 will take less time but I have not found anyone who can supply a section - I am in New Zealand so parts and suitable donor cars are limited.

Does anyone have an appropriate section that they could provide? - I will obviously pay for part, postage and packing (etc.)

Let me know....

Regards, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Hi All, just turning my attention to the interior of my car.
Has anyone used the seat cover kits supplied by Design 911? https://www.design911.com/uploads/produ ... height=148

The car's bodywork is completed and the car is now in epoxy, high-build and is awaiting sand and final paint.

I am looking at the black leather covers with Houndstooth - I like the combination.
I am confident about recovering the seats myself but I am seeking to make sure that the cover kit is of good quality.
I will take the seats apart and get the chrome redone and other parts titivated as required.

Regards, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Some further pictures of work on/in the boot/bulkhead area.

My car received a 'cut' from a much later car and Martin has been working hard at welding up holes, creating new holes, adding details where it was missing and making all changes that make the metalwork the same:

A correct car:

My car:

Addition of a drainage pipe from the heater through the floor-pan:

Anyway, opinions about seat cover options would be appreciated.

Cheers, Neil
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

It’s coming along nicely Neil
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I’m not sure of where D911 get their kits but I undertstand that the Lakewell ones are good quality

https://www.lakewell.com/shop/porsche/9 ... 911-65-73/
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Ok thanks Ian. I did some further investigation and have decided to order seat cover kits front and rear from Lakewell. Many seem to be happy with the quality of their products....

2 Handles for Recaro Seat Adjustment
1 Comfort Seat Restoration Kit (2 Seats), Leather Nappa Black, Center sections: Pepita black/white, Headrests, 1971
1 Interior carpet set: Salt & Pepper, Haargarn Velour, Manual, Targa, RHD
1 Trunk carpet set, Salt & Pepper, Perlon Felt, RHD
1 Dashboard Facing Retrim Kit, Basketweave, RHD
1 Rear Seat restoration Kit (2 Seats), Leather Nappa Black, Targa

Should be good!!!

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I have been working on my seats whilst awaiting the delivery of the covers, carpets (etc.) from Lakewell.

I had to de-rust the seat bases and, once I had removed the larger parts of rust and debris, used Evaporust - awesome stuff!

I rubbed down the hinges with steel wool and the chrome came up really well following that and some polish. The plastic covers were all in a rather poor state so I got a small local outfit to 3d scan the best one and 3D print some new ones. (Left and Right are mirror images so easy the flip the scan and print both sides from the same scan).

In addition the recline mechanism on the passenger side was missing. There is the shark's fin lever, a release cable and a hook/spring arrangement. I had to order a new cable and shark's fin but had to fabricate the lever that the shark's fin pushes onto and the hook itself. The mechanism seems to work dine despite the fact that the spring arrangement is different.

I used Evaporust on the seat springs and they came up beautifully. The seat foam and inners can be seen in the background and they look pretty good. I am going to visit a local upholsterer and see if I can purchase some new hessian and padding materials to freshen things up a little.

The seat rests on the right came up well following a clean. The plastic/rubber needs a further clean but they are ready to go. I will take the other hardware to get it powder coated.

The seat rails came up well. They need a little more elbow grease. I had to make 2 plastic parts in side the rail that seem to be made of hard plastic that help the rails run. There are 4 per rail. Their purpose is to prevent metal-metal contact and ensure the rails run smoothly.

Hopefully the seat cover kits arrive soon and I can put everything back together.

The car is back from primer and is setting hard for the next 3-4 weeks. We will be doing a fit up of some parts to make sure all is well prior to final paint. The orange really pops in the sunshine. I will definitely need to wear sunglasses!

Cheers, Neil
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Very impressive that EVAPORUST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxwABnAsRU
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

The gaps on my car are looking fantastic :bounce:

The car is going to be partially built up in 4 weeks' time and then will be in final paint - this is just to ensure there are no needs for minor tweaks.

I am getting very excited now :cheers:

Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Some more photos:

Rear:

Rear Quarter:

Front view:

Cheers, Neil
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Neilnaz wrote:The gaps on my car are looking fantastic :bounce:

The car is going to be partially built up in 4 weeks' time and then will be in final paint - this is just to ensure there are no needs for minor tweaks.

I am getting very excited now :cheers:

Neil
Impressive
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah