Dropped spindles - any options?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

I’m running dropped spindles on ’53. I like the look But the front end, especially the spare wheel well, is slightly too close to ground at the moment. I still would like to keep it low. Are there any alternatives 2,5” drop spindles? About half of that would be perfect. Other ideas are welcome as well.

Br,
Aki
BD55
Married to the DDK

Re: Dropped spindles - any options?

Post by BD55 »

I guess, as your car does not come with beam adjustment, you don't have many options. Custom dropped spindles? Smaller wheels on stock spindles? Adding adjustment to your front torsion tubes? Any pics of your car Aki?
Simon
64 356C
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

Yes - the options are somewhat limited. I have basically narrowed them down to two realistic scenarios:
1. Keep the drop spindles and add coilover shocks to lift it 2-3cm. Alternative to coilovers are air shocks
2. Stock spindles along with lower profile tires

Some pics below. Car now has drop spindles and 145/80-15 tires in front. Clearance is 7,5cm on beam and only 6,5cm under the battery tray. That is without spare tire or anything extra on the front. Shocks are Koni adjustables set on full soft on the front. Ride is really nice - but speed bumps and steep ramps are pain.

ImageImageImageImage
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

nice car....If the coilovers are an easy fit they maybe worth a try. It would also be good to get some kind of adjustment into the front end otherwise you will be chasing the height you want..... Have you tried it with stock spindles and a lower profile tyre?

Have a look at this link you can play with sizes.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/
64 356C
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Nice looking car. Is that graphite metallic or something darker?
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

You can’t raise that. It’s piffffting. Air ride it or drive the long way round to avoid the bumps.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

I just got the original spindles out of storage box and have them treated with new klng and link pins just in case. In the meanwhile I’ll try coilovers if I find short enough from somewhere.

That tiresize calculator has become very familiar to me :)

Br,
Aki
BD55 wrote:nice car....If the coilovers are an easy fit they maybe worth a try. It would also be good to get some kind of adjustment into the front end otherwise you will be chasing the height you want..... Have you tried it with stock spindles and a lower profile tyre?

Have a look at this link you can play with sizes.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

jeremyg wrote: Nice looking car. Is that graphite metallic or something darker?
It’s actually Porsche schiefergrau to be exact. But hue is very very close (or even same?) to Graphite Metallic which was available color in ’54. Car is one of the oddball models being MY ’53 but came out of factory ’54 so it’s close enough to period correct color as well.
Last edited by arprea on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

Sam wrote:You can’t raise that. It’s piffffting. Air ride it or drive the long way round to avoid the bumps.
Thanks Sam - I like to look too. Seems to cause some weird noises and mumbling in concours judges though.
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Man that's cool! Just loose the 911 wheels and fit a set of Radars and it's perfection!!!
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

RoscoP wrote:Man that's cool! Just loose the 911 wheels and fit a set of Radars and it's perfection!!!
I actually had 17” Radars but decided to run 901s instead. Recently I have been thinking of getting a set of SA sprints - but let’s see. Worked with rear end height recently since I was not happy with the stance. I think it is a lot better now. Tires are now 185/65 on the back.

Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Looking very fine

I had sprint stars on my '56 - 4.5 on front and 5.5 on rear

They looked great but everyone who saw my car thought it was a replica and started tapping it with rings etc... to see if it was metal !

I did not like that so now running chrome steels with no hub caps

Although I will swap over occasionally

KTF

Jeremy
1956 356A T1
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Have you thought about trying these? Popular with the VW guys apparently...

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/32 ... -pair#temp
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

Ollie wrote:Have you thought about trying these? Popular with the VW guys apparently...

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/32 ... -pair#temp
Yes - I have tried to find a short enough airshocks to the front. Prea has the shock length of the split beetle and Mini. No luck so far - I have not checked the specs for these from Limebug. Thanks for the link!

Br,
Aki
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

These any good to you - presently on ebay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133806702363 ... SwN1Bg4BQQ