Tips for removing wiring loom through tunnel

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Tips for removing wiring loom through tunnel

Post by Flat 6 »

Asking for, not providing!

This will be a first for me. Any particular things to avoid or ways of making it easier? Looks a bit impossible to me at the moment but I know it isn't...

Presumably tape any stragglers and ends as tight as poss and go gently. Am I really trying to get multi-pin connectors through or is there some sneaky snipping involved?

Pull through from front presumably since there is much less wire at the rear?

Do I pull a guide wire through with the loom so I have something to pull it back with once shell is done?

Cheers,

Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Re: Tips for removing wiring loom through tunnel

Post by PeterK »

(Based on my SC) there are connectors on the rear of the loom and few (if any) on the front (assuming that you have disconnected the fuse panels ), so pull from the engine compartment.

As you suggest, tape stragglers as best you can.
Definitely pull a cord or pull wire through with the bundle to make life easier later. Maybe 2 for when you forget something later.

Go gently

There maybe a couple of tags just ahead of the gearstick, under the top/side of the tunnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

As Peter describes go gentle and out from the back.

I hated this job and it was a real fight, not looking forward to getting it back in! I taped nylon rope to the loom and that’s remained in the shell throughout everything to give me half a chance of getting it back in.

Mine was very tight over the torsion tube, so much so that I’m going to ding the seat pan before paint.

When it finally lets go and decides to move make sure you aren’t sat in the engine bay near the underside of a rusty quarter panel or you may end up with stitches in your head. Not that that happened of course :)

Good luck!
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Yep, from the back.
Gary - weirdly mine wasn't too bad going back in. Fingers crossed for yours! At least on the way back in it's completely clean and can be lubricated as required.
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Thanks gents,

Front loom removed.

I have pulled it through into the left hand footwell but will do the pull through when I have an assistant. Must say the loom is in good shape. Impressed with the quality of connections Porsche used on these cars. Plenty of cleaning up to do of course!

Will report back once the rest is removed. Plenty of other questions. Should start a thread but generally stuggle for time.

Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.