another 73T Targa restoration thread

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

rich73
Married to the DDK

Re: another 73T Targa restoration thread

Post by rich73 »

Sills are looking pretty good. Trim work looks amazing, great idea work on it in parallel, it always leave it till last thinking its just a couple of days work......and it isn't. I still think its like when I restored minis in my teens, pop down the scrappers on Saturday morning and pick an interior then fit it in the afternoon.
Rich
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Some very nice work there 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Trim work is really good. What air stapler did you get as I need to do exactly the same job on my parcel shelf?
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Thanks for the praise guys! I just took my time and copied the old parts. Its a slippery slope though, if you think about it - you really have to cover everything, or cover nothing, to avoid bits standing out like a sore thumb. I am hoping that I can get away without re-covering the dashboard and knee pads because they are in really good condition.

I found a cheap Chinese copy of a popular professional 71 Series staple gun on Amazon but it seems to be currently unavailable - it was only around £35 if I recall, but seems to be really excellent. There were others, very similar looking or even the same perhaps, on Ebay. The staples can be expensive, and usually only found in large quantities, but I found someone that sells small quantities and bought 4mm, 10mm and 14mm (all three needed for parcel shelf).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154330978178 ... 4410365231

:cheers:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Look what my OPC just delivered... :bounce: with the Porsche Classic club free plates that I had to remind them about.... :roll:

The box was the biggest I've ever seen, I think - probably could have fitted 6 wings comfortably! Luckily they agreed to keep the box.. :P

The build quality of the rear wing is really excellent, in stark contrast to the shoddily constructed front wings that I received a short time ago... Of course, I won't know if it has the right shape until I eventually try it on the car, and fit the rear light...

They only do the generic 'closed bottom' kidney panel, but I bought one anyway hoping to modify it to match the Dansk 'open bottom' version that I bought a long time ago for the other side. Unfortunately, they are completely different - the Dansk one is flatter, squarer, and wider than the generic OEM one. The problem is, 'I think' the original one that I removed was a hybrid of the two - narrow and rounder like the generic OEM version, but with an open bottom :?
Attachments
LeftSideBits.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

With this T MFI car you could buy the S currently available on Bring A Trailer that's lost its MFI, put carbs on the T and have a 911S with MFI. Just a thought.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

A '73 mfi system is totally different to the '69S version (throttle bodies/stacks/injection pump/air cleaner/etc) ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

oh :lol:
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Small update - rear wings are now self-tappered in place, both now in precisely the same positions as the original ones, but tweeked at the back to get a better fit to the engine lid. Was a beatch of a job, largely because the bottom of the B-posts (which come fitted to the new OEM rear wings) wanted to sit much lower than the sill height. I also had to unpick the brazed bits where the wings connect to the top of the inner wing adjacent to the top corners of the engine lid.

You might remember that our Barry had gapped the two new front wings, the bonnet, and the doors, to the original rear wings when they were still fitted. This means that I now have the same approx 3-4mm gaps all round with 4 new wings - yay! :P

Final panel positioning and gapping will be done once its on a proper bench, once we know its straight (or not), and hopefully in the next month or so...... :bounce:

I'm still thinking about the colour... same as almost every day for the last 20 years (ish). I should really go with the original blau met but I saw 2 early cars in a light grey colour at Caffeine&Machine a few months ago, and a signal yellow, and can't stop thinking about those colours... I know a lot people like the blue, but I like the original signal colours and light grey more.... :?
Attachments
NewRearQtrPosition.JPG
OriginalRearQtrPosition.JPG
Right010222gapped3p5.JPG
Dean
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

That gap looks bang on :) It’s a real milestone getting to this stage.

Where’s it going for the jig work?
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Gary71 wrote:That gap looks bang on :) It’s a real milestone getting to this stage.

Where’s it going for the jig work?
Sure is - its great to get to this stage. I'll be 100x happier when everything is welded on and leading is done though...

I'm not saying who at the moment for the jig work - after being booked in 4 times and later let down 4 times in the last year or so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out (well)....
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Other side...

Note the gap shown. The end of the panel tapers out at the end about 2mm too much. The opposite side is the same (I had to cut the last two spot welds to push this in). Also, on the left side rear wing, the sill joining section under that gap is 7mm too short! That might not sound very important but it is - it makes it more difficult to weld because there will only be perhaps 2mm of sill surface in contact under the weld (because the sill tapers away towards the kidney panel) and it also leaves a big gap on the sill surface that has to be filled. This all looks like extremely sloppy quality control from the factory - grghh!
LHrearquarterstepgap.JPG
The new left side rear wing is in the exact same position as the original one. Carrera stickers are courtesy of the previous owner - they're a bugger to get off after 20 yrs+ :blackeye:
LHrearquarter2sill.JPG
LHrearquarter.JPG
Dean
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

My new quarters were the same. Barry unpicked the spotwelds and bent them in as you mentioned.

Not sure about the overlap.

It ended up full of lead I know that
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

LHrearquarterShort7mm.JPG
This was the most difficult part of replacing the Targa rear wings - the braze was carefully cut using a Dremel cutting disc, then I had to cut a section out of the ends of the crossmember, that goes across the top of the engine lid, to detach the rear wing from the inner wing. In hindsight, it might have been quicker and easier and perhaps better to have left the brazed section in place, and joined the new and old wings around 10cm down. I just didn't have the heart to cut my shiny new wings! An interesting point: there was heaps of lead on the window sill, to cover the lumpy original welds at the crossmember and wing join, plus lots of braze to shape up the gap around the top corners of the engine lid - its interesting that they used two different materials in this area - any thoughts on this? Of course, the lead is very soft, so perhaps only appropriate for less-exposed places, whereas the braze material (brass alloy?) is much harder...
LHrearquarter2braze.JPG
The original wings were attached with only three spot welds - you can see that I had to cut a slot out of the crossmember to get to them. The underside of that small cut-out section is easily accessible from the parcel shelf so it will be easy to re-attach it and protect the weld underneath. I could have removed the crossmember, but it locates the rear window glass so I decided against it. The underseal was a mixture of good and poor condition under there, but the metal was completely solid and without any pitting once cleaned up - just superficial surface rust in places.
LHrearquarter2brazeRemoved.JPG
Last edited by deano on Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Gary71 wrote:My new quarters were the same. Barry unpicked the spotwelds and bent them in as you mentioned.

Not sure about the overlap.

It ended up full of lead I know that
Almost every time I write something here, I want to state 'I think Gary had the same issue...', but that will get a bit boring after a while I think :lol:
Dean