another 73T Targa restoration thread

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

deano
I luv DDK!

Re: another 73T Targa restoration thread

Post by deano »

Whoops, posted pics in the wrong order, please start a few posts down, just after the blue truck :roll: :lol:
120922_panels.JPG
120922_panels2.JPG
120922_10.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Exciting when everything becomes a similar shade of grey

..... but then the really hard work starts :lol:
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

....and then the really really hard work, like fitting the Targa glass, and finding everything ! :lol:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Latest paint job video :cyclopsani: :compress:

Hopefully will be home next week, although the forecast weather might delay it if I get my way....

https://youtu.be/x8stI4E6Twc
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Now fully assembled :bounce: :cyclops: :cyclopsani: :compress: 8)

Those wheels are just temporary - I am looking forward to putting the Fuchs on when it comes home...

https://youtu.be/kzAZtTC5tBY
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Home at last, almost 6 months later than estimated. Nice job though.

Of course, it chucked it down with rain and windy as it was coming out of the covered transport :cry:

Floor insulation, carpets and front seats in first, to get the seats out of the house :P
HomeSwHome280223.JPG
Dean
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Looks great.. so, back on the road end of March ? ;)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Cool colour. Which shade you go with in the end?
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

hot66 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:53 pm Looks great.. so, back on the road end of March ? ;)
Mmmn, I'll give it a go... :lol:

Maybe with assistance - lots of it !!

My goal was to have it back on the road for its 50th anniversary, which is this year. With that in mind, and Spring fast approaching, I was was thinking that I would take a bare bones approach and make it roadworthy and legal, drive it, and then add the non-essential widgets and trim back as I go. I suspect though that most things will need to go back to make it road-legal, except for trim.... :lol:
Dean
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

So... it turned out that looked like a wonderful paint job under a cloudy sky and in the garage, turned out to be extremely poor in the sun. The highly polished clear coat and metallic flake were hiding sanding scratches and a cloudy colour coat, plus a large number of dust nibs. The painter didn't want to know - he seemed convinced that it must have been something I did - therefore he will be the subject of a court case in the near future :(

Two reasonably local restoration shops have given it the thumbs down and, bless them, wrote me a report on their findings. I am stuck in limbo paint-wise until the court rules... the goal will be to start over, from bare metal again. Aside from in the engine bay and frunk, that means, no rebuilding / re-fitting of the hundreds of new rubber or restored parts that I have waiting in line...

That aside, I have spent the last months of spare time restoring the engine bay and the area under the rear seats and (new) kick boards, including a repairing areas of damaged rubberised undercoating (colour matched RAL7006 using Cobra tintable beadliner) followed by a light dusting of body colour, clear coat, and finally Bilt Hamber Dynax-UC clear dry wax especially in the nooks and crannies. It looks good, not show-winning, but nice and clean and original-looking under the engine lid (95% of the textured coating was good/retained). More importantly, quite impenetrable!

My goal is to get everything back in place and re-fit and run the engine in the next month or so, so it doesn't have to come out again for a while.

I have a few QUESTIONS about some of the engine bay parts below if you can help please:

>New old stock heater flaps and orange silicone hoses just fitted. Going to attempt to fit a new heater cable, as the original is a little short nowadays - - can anyone tell me, is it easy to thread a new one, is it easy to get at the guide tubes? is there a trick to it?
>Re-installed the fuel filter console and CDI fuse panel -- can anyone show how the cables are supposed to be organised under the panel, and especially where the nickel plated ground strap goes - does mine look correct (ground strap bolted to bottom right fuse panel mounting bolt, GREEN ARROWS)?
>Can anyone tell me where the left and right engine lid hinge ground straps are supposed to land? E.g. Left one to grounding point behind fuel filter console (RED ARROW)? Right side strap to oil tank mounting bolt?
>Restored and reinstalled the fuel pump with all new E10 compatible fuel hoses and hose clips - was fairly challenging to get it into the cradle (mounting bracket first on its rubber isolator with the Jubilee clip in place, then wiggle to pump in place). Given that all the pipes are san-fuel, do I need to prime the pump somehow before I run the fuel pump for the first time, or is it OK to run it dry until it has sucked up the fuel from the fuel tank?
>Just aboot to order new rubber sleeves for the accelerator rod, speedo and clutch cables - does the speedo sleeve (91164152000) in the parts catalogue go on the end of the speedo cable/gearbox or where the speedo cable comes out from the kick panel please?
Screenshot 2024-02-13 103719.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-13 121152.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-13 121623.jpg
Dean
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

deano wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 pm So... it turned out that looked like a wonderful paint job under a cloudy sky and in the garage, turned out to be extremely poor in the sun. The highly polished clear coat and metallic flake were hiding sanding scratches and a cloudy colour coat, plus a large number of dust nibs. The painter didn't want to know - he seemed convinced that it must have been something I did - therefore he will be the subject of a court case in the near future :(
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune Dean... All I can say is beware of sinking money into a court case against a company which is ultimately a limited liability vehicle (or against somebody who may financially be a man of straw). The owner can drain a company of assets and cash, meaning even if you win, there's nothing in the pot for you and you likely have to cover case costs and end up worse off than you started. Meanwhile they simply wind up and start again in a new name. Your liability on the other hand, is unlimited.

I know it's sickening to stomach the loss but proceed with great caution.
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Wise words
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I'm not saying this is correct but on my 1970 car both straps are on the deck lid hinge bracket.

Mine had previously had a blow over with silver paint and there is overspray on the earth straps indicating they weren't removed for the respray.

Incidentally, each is in a black vinyl sleeve (although you will see in the photos one I have removed one of the sleeves to get the overspray off, one I have not).

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

The sleeve is interesting. I should have been clearer, sorry - I have a ground strap attached to each engine lid hinge, under the parcel shelf. You can see the left one hanging down in front of my fuel filter. I need to know where the opposite end of those two straps go....
Dean