another 73T Targa restoration thread

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: another 73T Targa restoration thread

Post by Gary71 »

Nah, not everything, yours is a Targa so probably has its own special issues!

Guess it’s too late to send that quarter panel back now?
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Gary71 wrote:Nah, not everything, yours is a Targa so probably has its own special issues!

Guess it’s too late to send that quarter panel back now?
Had the left one since Apr last year (see deliver pics below). The right one perhaps 6 months ago.. the trouble is, even if they were to accept them back, the replacement will probably have its own issues. For the front wings, I complained about a couple of issues (see earlier posts) and my OPC send over their van with two alternatives and allowed me to inspect them and pick one from the three. They were all the same, all had the same issues...

The rear wings are not quite as shocking as the front ones, in terms of build quality, but there is still too much room for improvement. Another issue that I noticed with the rears is that the flange that holds the rear bumper seal in place has an offset of around 5mm between the transition from the light housing bracket to its counterpart on the bottom of the wing - this leaves a noticeable kink in the seal at that point. I looked at my original wing and found that the transition is smooth/perfect. It looks like that quite big offset on the new flange is due to bad forming of the light bracket, and bad then bad positioning against the wing panel. It seems strange to me that most of the issues are to do with alignment of the sections and are plain to see. Most would only take a few seconds to line up and clamp in a much better position, purely by eye, so how can they be this bad, and why isn't their QA process spotting these issues and fixing them in the process!!?? I think, there isn't a QA check.... there can't be... :blackeye:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Try carb cleaner on the stickers. Keep it off everything else.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Before detaching and removing the rear wings, I fitted the rear bumpers (tightly) and seals in position to serve as a location aid for the new wings. The bumpers will stay in position until the new wings are welded in place... this turned out to be a useful trick, as did photographing the positions of the rear wings tips relative to the engine lid. These might not be the final positions of the new wings, but at least it gives us the best starting point....
LHrearbumperfit2originalwingB$removing.JPG
RHoriginalwing_positioning_bumperfittedaslocator.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

At first glance, the area around the RHS kidney looks solid and is definitely original. The wing is completely solid ahead of the torsion tube hole. However, I could feel with my fingertips that all was not well on the front side of the kidney panel.
RHkidneyarea_lookingfromwheelarch.JPG
This is what I found after removing the paint, and plenty of filler .... old bodged repairs.
(tip, use a butane torch to make short work of removing filler).
RHoriginal_paintfillerremoved.JPG
RHoriginalBpostrepairs.JPG
Last edited by deano on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I think these pics speak for themselves. The kidney was toast on the front side. The end of the outer sill, which collects/traps dirt under the B-post, was still largely solid. The sill had to go anyway, to check the state of the inner sill and bottom of A-post at the opposite end (I don't seem to have a picture of it but, thankfully, the A-post was completely solid under the original paint)...
RHoriginalkidneysilljack_rearquartersectionremoved.JPG
RHoriginalkidneyandsill_rearquartersectionremoved.JPG
Luckily, all was well under the kidney panel, and only a small section of the door seal flange needed replacing and mainly because it was faster to replace than remove the ridiculous amount of weld that had been piled on it from someone's previous B-post repairs. The jack tube and support were both completely solid too. The inner sill just had one hole at the base as shown, which I would repair later...
LHsillandkidneyremoved.JPG
Last edited by deano on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

RHS inner sill was solid, except the section shown earlier. The seal flange above it was botched replaced, so this would be removed and replaced later.
LHsillandkidneyremoved)innersillsolid.JPG
The front side of the Targa reinforcement plate was gone, but still solid inside (the inner wing was solid, unlike the LH side where it appears that the drain holes got blocked and held rainwater).
RHrearwingandkidneyremoved.JPG
RHoriginaltargareinforcement_insidesolid.JPG
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I realised the other day that I had holes in my restoration story, so here goes with part-1 of the catch-up, beginning with the RH side rear section. Start at the 4:26 pm post below and work back up to here... Part-2 of the catch-up will be completing my earlier record of the LH side rear and sills.

Final pics of the RH side rear section... here just capturing the original position of the B-post flange relative to the door seal flange. Every little helps, as Asda says...
RHcapturingBpostposition.JPG
Out-of-sequence pic - inspection hole cut in top of perforated B-post - at that point, still contemplating whether or not to replace the whole rear wing on this side.
RH_upperBpost.JPG
Inner wing is completely solid, and original underseal is good (I have since removed the dirt with a toothbrush and Bitumin remover - days of dirty work!). I plan on keeping the original underseal because it is in such great condition, except the top part adjacent to the outer wing and adjacent to B-post/kidney, which I want to protect with a reputable and modern underseal material e.g. Raptor, but I haven't decided.
RHrearwingremoved.JPG
Dean
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Forgive me father - its been several months since my last confession.....

The Targa has been on the jig for two months now... for new sills, later stronger kidneys, targa bar reinforcements, jacks, and new rear quarters... all from Porsche except the inner sills which are not still available from Porsche at present (they told me that they are re-working that part). All the original parts were salvageable except the kidneys, but I want it to last another 50 years so decided to go all new and have it covered with some good modern 3M protection....

So...it had sagged a little bit in the middle right by about 20 mm. The right inner sill was removed to allow it to go back. Once the new inner sills were fitted, it sat perfectly straight. Then new kidneys on (after copious amounts of panel alignment and gapping to find their optimum positions of all of the panels). We decided to go with the far more substantial later L-shaped kidney panels to stiffen it up and hopefully prevent any future droopiness. After fully gapping the whole car, the outer sills were welded on, aligned to the fronts of the doors.

Just the rear wings to weld on now, but its coming off the jig before that for engine and gearbox install, just in case the door gaps do change...

Not many pics at the moment, except tiny phone message ones. Here are a couple that I took this week.. hopefully lots more to come when I get the car back in a couple of weeks.... the front and rear bumpers are just temporary ones, for positioning the new wings :bounce:
OnCarbench.JPG
RightDoor.JPG
RightDoor2.JPG
Last edited by deano on Sun May 29, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Good looking gaps Dean
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Excited times :) Looks great
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Just working on last minute jobs before the car goes for paint in around 10 days.

A couple of fairly urgent questions that I hope people can answer....

1. can anyone tell or show me how the (pictured) front wing corner panel (next to the horn grille) is supposed to be welded on the inside, to the latch panel and or the end of the front bumper seal holder bracket?

I know how the flat back section welds to the inner wing - I have pics of that side from the corner panel I removed, but no pics of the inside. I need this to be solid so I can use the bolt to pull in the wing tip a few mm, but I want it to be welded on correctly too. I have a feeling that there should be a weld in position A on my pic, but potentially no weld to the end of the bumper seal holder shown as B on my pic?

2. can anyone provide the antenna hole size and or position, as I still have to drill these on the new wing? On my old wing, it is slightly oval at 22 x 18 mm so I think it has been enlarged? I can probably take the position from this...

Hope you can help!

By the way, I think I might be going for a met blue colour that I like, rather than hoping that I like whatever shade the original 334 colour code produces - Snapper Rocks Blue 8) or Atlantis Blue 8), whichever of these two current BMW shades is the most blue and least turquoise....
WingJoiningCornerPlate.JPG
New wing joining corner plate
TrialFit.JPG
Trial fit
LevelCheck.JPG
Laser levelling left to right front wings
Dean
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Hi there,
Not sure if this image will help but this is mine which is media blasted but I think is original. If your not sure what to do I would be tempted to put some spot welds in with MIG and seam seal, as you say its important to be solid so you can pull the wing in if you need to.

Image2022-07-08_09-17-32 by richard cannings, on Flickr

For the colour is it worth buying half a litre to paint something like an old freezer in the garage to see if you like it.

Rich
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Were you asking about the aerial hole? 22mm front to back. And round.Image

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited by RobFrost on Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Hi. If you search in this Restoration section for posts from Barry you should find his write up on the front wing to slam panel structure. Sorry I can't recall which project it was part of. Al
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.