How not to buy a 993 - or?

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

72911E
I luv DDK!

Re: How not to buy a 993 - or?

Post by 72911E »

No apology necessary......lost in translation! Enjoying the thread.

I swapped out the dash on my 964 too (mine was warped) and made a massive difference. Problem is trying to find a nice original dash board.
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

72911E wrote:No apology necessary......lost in translation! Enjoying the thread.

I swapped out the dash on my 964 too (mine was warped) and made a massive difference. Problem is trying to find a nice original dash board.
Thanks I hoped it was worth sharing my experience only if that it helps DDKers. The lower dash was a nightmare to get out!
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Glad you’re getting on well with your early 993 - look like you’re gamble is paying off.

In 2001 bought a ‘cheap’ 94 993 and had dreadful problems with the electrics. After months of mucking about with various independents who couldn’t figure out what was going wrong, I discovered that Porsche actually had that model year on recall for faulty wiring. In it went to a Porsche Centre and came out with a full replacement loom - free of charge. No further electrical problems.

Don’t know if that recall still exists for any car that hasn’t been done yet, but just thought I’d mention it! No doubt you’re aware.

Watch out for that bubbling around front and rear screens - model weakness, as you know.

Have fun with what is in most other respects a fabulous 911.
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Jeremy thanks I did check with Porsche and they said all of the recalls had been carried out on my 993 and have said they will send me a list once I have the V5 in my name.

Cheers

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Part 2 of Interior Change

Steering wheel - I had disconnected the battery at the start so I could remove the airbag using a Torx T30 (from memory). Lift airbag remove the pink connector and two other contacts and then undo the steering wheel with a 24 mm socket and pull off this was easiest job.

Note when putting back your new steering wheel obviously everything in reverse and give the unit 1 hour before reconnecting the battery. When I reconnected the battery I covered the steering wheel in a number of thick blankets as did i on the seat just in case the airbag exploded - it didn't and I am sure it is a remote possibility but to be on the safe side and all that and not ruin your new interior.

Lower Dash - do not believe some of the articles written on other forums as they conveniently miss certain information such as two nuts on the dash not 4 and don't believe anyone who says you can undo the nuts with your fingers - you can't. The removal of the lower dash is by FAR the WORST of all the interior jobs and takes as much time as removing the rest of the interior put together.

Firstly undo the plastic end caps but do not immediately undo the two bolts underneath because as I found that places tension on the 4 nuts that you really need to get to and get off first. See photos below.

Remove end cover - photo courtesy of Pelican

then undo two 10mm bolts

In the next photo below you can see 3 of the 4 studs which hold the dash to the frame which are evenly spaced across the dash. Either end are behind the side vents and the middle two behind and to the side of the radio and the AC fresh air controls

There is also a screw and bolts under the ashtray but again unscrew the cover but not the bolts. I did not do its this way as I followed Pelican and other guides but found that had I done it this way the dash removal would have been easier. Some of the instructions tell you to remove two nuts and then yank the dash out !!. Do not do this you will wreck the dash and possibly the framework underneath.

Ashtray

Pulldown the ashtray remove the plastic tray and undo the two phillips screws. Then carefully remove the rubber boot over the ashtray bulb

Remember to push the bulb back through the dash when you remove the two 10 mm bolts behind the cover you have just removed

Next the stereo - mines being replaced so I used some stereo keys from Halfords and out it came as did the cage. That gives you access to one of the left hand middle nuts.

Second and again wrong instruction here that you just pull out the fresh air - A/C controls but my column stalks fouled this and I wasn't in the mood to start removing the column so I had to get my head under the dash and get a suitable 8mm spanner mine was flat and I couldn't get a grip over the framework so I used an A/F one which went on (I can post a photo of the spanner used but its essentially a ring spanner with a 90 degree bend it it) as it was bent and just fitted nicely to make a couple of turns and release the nut so I could unscrew it then by hand using an 8mm socket piece.

Next remove the side vents 0h boy this was frustrating as you have to lever 4 metal brackets and pull at the same time get the vents out - 2 hours later and they are off and the nuts then easily reached and partly unscrewed. Obviously remember first to unscrew the small phillips head and remove the plastic cover at the side of the dash

My photos didn't come out as well so I copied these of the one of the vent of the tinternet. Essentially the two clips you can see are also replicated at the bottom and are completely different to the main air vent. Someone at Porsche and in charge of interior design was obviously peeved at having to use 964 parts on the 993 and obviously thought " Hmm think you are clever English buying a RHD car and taking the top dash panel off well we will get you on the lower dash" so choose completely different lock tabs and secretly added them to the bottom of the vent to catch you out! Essentially you need 5 hands to get these suckers out :evil: :evil: I must admit I lost my temper at the left hand one to which I have bent the plastic but the right had one had obviously seen it was in for a bit of hacking and came out without to much protestation.

Next on to the side bolts remove the plastic cover as shown below and then the bolts underneath for which you need a 10mm socket, undo and remove both ends open the ashtray pull back the metal flap; undo the cover plate and remove the two bolts sitting beneath. Return to the partially undone bolts behind the side vents remove and lower the dash and go and drink copious amounts of beer :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :bom:

Rear Seats I have read descriptions of the glue used in the interior and dismissed it but boy are they bang on that this stuff is military grade and you could stick tanks together, it is incredibly difficult to remove from the car and ones person when it comes into contact with you. I ripped the seat bases out as gently as possible and didn't leave too much horse hair behind. Whatever you have read times it by two I leaned onto the base after remove the seat bases and the knee of my jeans was stuck solid to the base and when I knelt on the workshop floor it took the floor paint up with it :shock: :shock:

I knew the large screws holding the rear seat backs were a pain having looked at a friends previously a few weeks ago so I gently applied a release spray got hold of the biggest flat blade I could find then belted the screw and stuck another screwdriver in the top of the large flathead for leverage and they finally budged but as they are all now chewed up I got another set to replace them. The carpet on the back of the seats is held in at the rear by 2 screws each and when you remove the rear parcel shelf you can get access to them and there is a piece of elastic also screwed down to remove. I had to move my carpet sections over to the new seats. Again Porsche obviously never wanted you to do this so stapled the carpet to the seat backs by I kid you not 15mm long staples what the hell did they think they were holding down!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: and they must have been paid on how many staples they could fire into the rear seat backs - must be about 20 to each back!

Good point is do not remove the seat bases until you have removed everything else in the car to avoid getting stuck and don't wear shorts you may dislocate your knee if it gets stuck to the seat base glue. My jeans are still shaking from the experience and carry the war wounds after a boil wash. I wish I had read Jackals story on removing this glue from the car and that formed part of the reason the carpet is still in place.

Rear Parcel Shelf and Side trims - These were all relatively straightforward and I can post up instructions if anyone wants them. Essentially unscrew fittings including the seat rear belt anchors and slide them through. 4 screws on the rear shelf but remember to slide out of the plastic around the rear wiper and slide this back in first when replacing the parcel shelf.

Carpets - I thought about replacing the grey carpet with black but having again seen the mess of removing the carpets I convinced myself the grey carpets and black interior would compliment each other and lift an otherwise all black interior. So I gave them thorough clean and they came up fairly well other than a cigarette burn on the rear tunnel which is a bit annoying and I will if I can be bothered get that repaired.

Other point is photograph and remember where on the trim longer screws were used to affix panels and don't loose the cup washers and if you do Rose Passion keep the original style ones in stock. OPC's got confused after 10 minutes of explanation so I gave up. You can also get the screws and naughty rear seat back screws from Rose Passion and grease them lightly before replacing.

Hope that helps folks.

I will post as I do more to the car - Stereo is next.

Cheers

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

That’s super-helpful, thanks Mike.

I am in a very similar position as you. I have light grey seats, console and carpets, with a dark grey dash and have decided to dye the seats and got the kit to do it. I am going to put RS door cards in black to the front, and I was wrestling with the whole contrasting grey / black combo, but think I might go all in and change the lot as it goes so much better with the orange exterior....so that means a carpet set and possibly refinishing the dash too (the kit I have for the seats will also do the hard plastics, so rear cards too). I figure if I take my time then I should be able to get a good finish.

I swapped the dash on the Boxster when I built it, but I had a spare car to break first which made a massive difference. I could get it out in about an hour now....

Cheers
Wayne
Last edited by rhd racer on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Wayne thanks. The plan for mine was to dye the interior but as so many panels had holes in it was no longer an option. From previous research I don’t think the glue had been invented until the 993 so I think the 964 is nowhere near as bad for removing the carpets.

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Well what a week that was and very full on!

Car collected, stripped the interior the next day and replaced the following day. Then off to Enigma for Sylvester to sort a stereo out. Collected late yesterday and as promised to the wife we used the car to go down to Dorset.

So iff you saw 2 grinning children and a fox terrier in a Guards Red 993 hooning it down to to Dorset it was mine.

A chap leaned out of his car and shouted out the window at Gloucester services with a thumbs up - you've got a Proper 911 there mate aircooled like they should be and a Guards Red 993 Lovely :cheers: :cheers:

Had someone filming the car when we blasted past. Got stuck in a traffic jam for 20 mins and she did not miss a beat loving this car :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

:cheers:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Brilliant!
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

:) That's wonderful: he who dares and all that.

Well done, I think that's brilliant.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I’m impressed you got all 5 of you in 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Few shots of the interior now it is fully installed.

1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Much better
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk