How not to buy a 993 - or?

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

912Flyer
DDK above all

Re: How not to buy a 993 - or?

Post by 912Flyer »

Thanks Sladey I haven't been this excited by a car in a while.

I've promised the kids we can travel down to the coast for our holiday in a couple of weeks, unfortunately for the wife she's got the golf, the dog and the luggage so she's not overly happy but as I pointed out if you need more than a couple of pairs of shorts, pants for the week, 2 t-shirts and Birks then you've bought too much luggage to travel in a 911 :compress: she slipped in 8 pairs of shoes when we went on our honeymoon in an Elan Sprint 10 years ago :?

Can't wait for the drive down and very tempted to drop in and chat to Christain Sanger on the way down.
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Well done, I like your style :wink:

That era of car have some terribly unreliable alarms and immobilisers, so that was a very lucky save. You can now do the engine at your leisure and enjoy the car for the rest of the summer.

Car looks fab
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Hmmm what did someone say drive it before ripping it apart!

Well I had bought the black interior before I got the car and the gent I got the interior off offered me a trade in on my old worn interior which was worse than I think he bargained for. I had to make a couple of Journeys down to the east coast anyway and the interior was in Eastbourne so I went to collect the interior in person and drop off my old one then a call in to Hastings to talk Vintage motorbikes and then on to Kent too pick up a another non-porsche project that has just had an engine rebuild.

So I need to put all this in:-

In to this:-

and I still need to get that pesky lower dash out :? and sort out the PO's wiring

The removal of the interior has been very tricky and the lower dash is now out but do not believe the instructions out there on Rennlist, Pelican etc as they miss out some fundamental parts that had I done what they advised would have wrecked the dash.

I am happy if there is an interest to post a full explanation of what needs removing if there is interest in it.

Now off to decontaminate myself of the German Gluemeister :shock: If I ever make a list to Porsche I want to know who developed the glue they put in the 993 and have a word with them :evil: I kneeled on the rear seat when I got the bases out and stuck my knee to the seat base !!

Mike
Last edited by 912Flyer on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Nothing like going in at the deep end!

Go go
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

Loving this!
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Oh and these to go in which I missed off the other photographs.

Last edited by 912Flyer on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

A guide would be very helpful. I intend to do my 964 dash top over the winter from grey to black to match the colour change I have not started on the seats yet!!!
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
hot66

Post by hot66 »

please do post a guide .. be facinating to see the details of these jobs .. its when youre elbow deep that this info comes in handy :cheers:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Ok here we go some of the strip down is simple and I have used a couple of previous posts from other sites to show various items as I forgot to take photos in my haste to swap parts.

Seats

First was to remove the seats - Nothing complicated here there are or were 6 hex bolts holding my seats down and I used an allen key socket to undo these. Its part of a set I use on my bicycle and proved handy for the job. The passenger seat had been removed by JAZ when they bypassed the immobiliser to get the car started but the technician must have used a power driver as a couple of the bolts had been mangled. I eventually got these free. Drivers side there are two electrical connections to undo one from the seat switch and the other from the seatbelt fixing. Passenger just has the one connection from the switch. I found the easiest way to remove the seats was crack off each hex then remove the front screws first slide the seat forward and then remove the rear screws - note remove your seat belt anchors from the seat I left mine on and had a spare pair with the new interior or so I thought. they did not fit over the lip of the seat fixing as they were obviously from another Porsche. when that happens the new high bolster seats won't lower as the seat belt anchor fouls the tunnel.

Lift Seats out - phew, blimey they are heavy.

Door Panels - Got this detailed photograph I think from Pelican and every thing is pretty straightforward except carefully releasing the electric window switches and the junction box that will vindictively come undone and empty all the wires before you have chance to photograph them. A few hours later squinting at wiring diagrams and following the memory position the wires were in - all back and working and if anyone gets in the same problem I have photographed the wire colours and positions.

Photo courtesy of Pelican - This shows screws you need to remove and popping off of trim fixers.

This shows the location of Hex bolts 5mm

Only other point is before you undo the hex bolts move grab the metal lever behind the door hand le lift up and back. When refitting remember to line up the opening in the plastic collett before replacing the metal hook

Dash top

This is fairly easy other than getting the main fresh air vent out to get to the bolt holding the dash in.

First undo the screws along the top rail then the two hidden beneath, unscrew the plastic covers at either end two further screws beneath. Take the vent out by levering down the two metal clips at the top of the vent and pull out - initially i thought it was hard but then I hadn't done the two side vents so in comparison this one was a breeze :lol: Removal of your dash is fairly easy. First, remove the five phillips screws that hold your front defroster grille, remove grille, note the two that hold the dash io located behind as they need to come off. Next gently pry off the plastic endcaps that are on each end of you dash. After the caps are off, remove the phillips screw that is buried in there (use a flashlight to locate it)

Next the air vent don't listen to anyone about removing the clock (well on a 993 anyway - 964 may be different) on the air vent you will notice two metal clips at the top on each corner? You will have to get two levers plastic preferably and pull the tabs down to release the teeth that fix in to the dash - see picture. Then and this gets amusing with your third hand pull the vent forward.

Where the vent has been removed there is a nut to the right which is not as some suggest finger tight unless the dash has been previously removed I managed to get an 8mm spanner on then a socket undone by hand. When this is off and if you have remembered to go back to the dash top and undo the two phillips screws you can now gently pull the dash outward and up, the stud has to clear the sheetmetal.

Pull the top dash out - simples

What I did find useful was the blown up diagrams on Design 911 and Rosepassion as you can see the fixings and I ordered a number of screws and cup washers for the doors.

Phew that is it for part one hope it is helpful and I will cover the rest on another post.

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

Did you buy your interior parts of 'Nessy' on ebay?

Every few months I see he lists complete interiors and usually always in black. Wondered where he gets it all......
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Just thought as well another job to do whilst you have the vent out is replace the foam that provides a seal around the mouth of the vent to make the vent air tights it fits into the dash. The foam will almost certainly have disintergrated and I pinched my out of my mates Caterham spare parts the foam seal they use to seal between the body and removable bonnet but otherwise a DIY draft foam seal would have done. This is my vent after removing the remains of the old foam but you get the gist

1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

72911E wrote:Did you buy your interior parts of 'Nessy' on ebay?

Every few months I see he lists complete interiors and usually always in black. Wondered where he gets it all......

Yes got it from Nesto and went and collected it and dropped mine off to which he gave me a very fair trade in price.

Most is genuine kit some is recovered by Southbound. He's a good chap with a lovely family and has a lovely black 964 Turbo so is also into the marque other than a simple trader and a nice chap to boot - I dropped my airbag centre whilst putting it in the car (like a dope i didn't notice it was loose - I put it down to working until 2 am getting the interior out and then driving 240 miles) and damaged it and he just gave me another one and said you can't put that in the car and wouldn't take any money which is unusual with a lot of ebay sellers I meet .

He sells mostly LHD interiors which comes from the US in shipping containers but he has some RHD drive kit but it was the first time I had seen a full black RHD interior available for a long time. The lower and upper dash have not been recovered but are like new and most of my interior is out of a car whose owner has created a track car.

If the insinuation 72911E is that he's dodgy then I can confirm he is not and was a pleasure to deal with although to be fair I was originally worried when buying the interior initially but would and have bought stuff of him since.
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

Did not mean if he was ’dodgy’, just wondered where he came up with complete mint interiors every 3 months or so. There was a thread on 911UK I saw a while back (I think the one below)also. Since you picked it up direct from him thought you would know - which you have explained above - thanks

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=870144
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Thanks for posting that, it’s really helpful. I will update my thread when I get off the house jobs,

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

72911E wrote:Did not mean if he was ’dodgy’, just wondered where he came up with complete mint interiors every 3 months or so. There was a thread on 911UK I saw a while back (I think the one below)also. Since you picked it up direct from him thought you would know - which you have explained above - thanks

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=870144
72911E sorry, I just took it at that as i'm always wary of EBay that's why I always collect if possible and had it looked ropey I would have walked away and reported it to the police which I have done on another occasion with another seller who clearly didn't own a car as he knew nothing about it.

So initially that was my view apologies.

As for him bidding on his own stuff as per 911 UK he may do but I set an overall level that I was happy with and he paid well for my interior which was trash but after he saw it he stood on the value agreed. He's worth contacting outside of EBay if you need anything interior wise 993 or 964 and he will negotiate.
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R