Advice on rustproofing

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

gturner008
DDK slapper chatter

Advice on rustproofing

Post by gturner008 »

I’m about to take delivery of a restored 1959 356A.

Would it be a sensible move to rustproof the car? Wax inject all the cavities?

Is this a home DIY job? Any brands worth thinking about?

Thanks for any input.
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Advice on rustproofing

Post by Bruce M »

Yup & dinitrol
Can be a messy job though as the cavity wax tends to end up dripping over the floor. So you might prefer to sub it out.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Also consider Tectyl a Valvolene product

Available as ML in an aerosol can with a plastic Tube- Ideal for injecting into cavities
and 506 a heavier grade also in a rattle can - Ideal for the flat surfaces
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Have a look at Bilt Hamber as well. Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.
swift911
Married to the DDK

Post by swift911 »

I’m just in the process of rust proofing my newly restored VW Beetle. I’m using Dinitrol in the main. The other thing I’m using is a 4.3" HD 1080P Inspection Borescope Camera, only £26 of eBay. It allows me to see into the cavities before and after I do it. Two metres of plastic pipe can get to most places for the spraying.
Bob
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

I've been using this on the cavities of the Renault R4 - with optional extension hose. It's clear so doesn't look messy if it leaks. Got mine through Amazon.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
mycar

Post by mycar »

There's an excellent post by Barry on rustproofing an early 911 in the 911 Technical Archive.

Some of the info should be good for a 356.

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12954
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

KS wrote:Image

I've been using this on the cavities of the Renault R4 - with optional extension hose. It's clear so doesn't look messy if it leaks. Got mine through Amazon.
I’ve been using that too. Bought the bottles and put one in a regular domestic spray bottle. It’s thin enough to work in that. Handy for a quick spritz without needing to fire up the air compressor.
gturner008
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gturner008 »

Thank you all. I’ve now had the chance to fully inspect the car. The restoration shop did a great job of sealing the floor and has already sprayed in rust proofing into the cavities.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bVER4fWfEWoEAR7N7

I’ve taken shots of the underside. I think they used an epoxy paint on the floor and underside throughout. Probably not factory, but might tough coating. POR15? I like it because it’s relatively thin, not like heavy anti chip. I’m thinking I’m good now with worrying about corrosion.

Finally, I’ve liberally sprayed an oil/wax product over all the fasteners and moving parts. Might now look good, but it’ll protect everything
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

If the resto shop has used 2k epoxy,I really wouldnt worry about covering it with anything else.Unless you want to use a light undeseal type finish Dolphin being the go to imho.Same goes for injecting cavities.
Personally prefer to use a rust converter primer such as vatcan.Its pretty thin,and will seep into the seams.Then a 2k epoxy primer mixed pretty thin seeping out of seams, more robust than the wax type imho.
TLC356
DDK Fanatic

Post by TLC356 »

I live in a cold, often wet climate (New England in the U. S.) and have owned 356's since 1975. It is my experience that since our cars are not being driven on salted roads and are seldom driven in the rain, the problem today is not what it was in the past.

As long as seriously rusted panels have been replaced and the seams have been sealed it's been my experience that surface rust can be readily controlled with "rust reformer" (or other similar commercial products) covered with paint.
356 Registry member #15,
'65 C Cab., '55 Pre-A coupe
drhildr
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by drhildr »

Just completed a Dinitrol treatment on mine. Well not me personally - rather glad as it was a messy old job cleaning the undersides, treating every suspect seam and blemish then applying Dinitrol, Bill is going to be painful I fear!
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I’ve recently done the full Dintrol process on my sons MX5. Really happy with the end outcome but my god it’s messy!

I ground back to metal any flaky areas, painted rust converter, epoxy painted, then sprayed underseal. The injected all the cavities using a long lance.

I put a ground sheet under the car to protect the drive and glad I did! You know if your sill drains are open afterwards :)

wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

Did the son help? :wink:

I remember doing my beetles and the like with the old Waxoyl stuff, God I stank afterwards.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it anyway....

Heard good things about the Bilt hamber stuff
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

wildtexas wrote:Did the son help? :wink:

Heard good things about the Bilt hamber stuff
He paid for the stuff so I guess that’s helping! I used the Bilt Hamber rust converter. Definitely does the job.