Lancia Fulvia 1.3HF ...

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Lancia Fulvia 1.3HF ...

Post by Lightweight_911 »

one-two wrote:I'm guessing a slightly smaller steering wheel next Andy? Could be wrong, of course ...
Correct Robert ! :wink:

As suggested, one of the first things I nearly always swap in any 'old' car I buy is the steering wheel.

However, any steering wheel that I fit (or contemplate fitting) has to be period-correct ...

The steering wheel that the majority of HF owners 'lust' after & ultimately fit - if they can find one (& if they're prepared to pay the inevitable high price) - is the Ferrero 'Sandro Munari'.

That's the wheel shown in Jonathan's link above.

Unfortunately - or rather, fortunately for me given the asking prices ... :wink: - since Munari didn't win the Monte Carlo Rally in a Works Fulvia until 1972 (resulting in the 'commemorative' signature s/wheel), that wheel wouldn't be correct for my 1968 car...

Well, it just so happened that hanging on the wall in my garage was a certain Ferrero steering wheel !!

It's a rare early 350mm Ferrero 2-spoke flat leather wheel - complete with solid hub & early style horn push manufactured in the late '60's ...

It's not perfect (which is great) but the chances of finding another one - especially for 'my pricing' is extremely unlikely !

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

How many more steering wheels just "happen" to be hanging on your garage wall, Andy??

And how big is the wall? :shock:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Looking fabulous Andy! With that colour and the stripe, had you considered gold wheels?

cheers, Mike
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Perhaps he buys the car to fit the available steering wheel?

LOVE that, and will sit so well next to the Alfa. YUM.
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Lightweight_911

jwhillracer wrote:How many more steering wheels just "happen" to be hanging on your garage wall, Andy??

:shock:

JW
I have a bit of an obsession with old steering wheels & bucket seats - especially 'out of the ordinary' &/or rare/unusual ones.

At a rough estimate I've probably had 1000+ steering wheels 'through my hands' over the past 15 years or so - often buying wheels which were originally fitted to cars I hope I might be lucky enough to own one day.

However, I've always managed to get them at 'realistic' prices ... :wink:

Last edited by Lightweight_911 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Lightweight_911

Speaking of my seat 'obsession', I haven't owned quite as many seats as steering wheels over the past 15 years or so - but it's got to have been in the 100's .... :shock:

Although the original HF seats in my car are comfortable over short distances, I wanted to source an alternative set of 'period' bucket seats that could be swapped in for longer trips.

Amongst my current 'stash' I did have a few possibilities - including this '68 Recaro Rallye :

- but, although 'back in the day' the choice of seat for competition was very much down to the preferences of the individual drivers, I don't think a Recaro would have been a likely option - although I have seen one car with them fitted - albeit at a (much) later date ...

The 2 most common makes seen in Factory (& privateers') cars were Bordigari & Fusina - both of which are very rare/hard to find in decent condition these days - & when they do come up for sale they sell for significant amounts (certainly for far more than a 'cheapskate' like me is prepared to pay !! :lol: ).

Accurate replicas are available in Italy but, again, too expensive for me - at least until I've exhausted every other possibility ...

So it was just a case of regularly searching all the usual sources throughout Europe - without any success.

There were a few seats that cropped up - but they were either in poor condition requiring complete re-upholstering (in which case you may as well go down the route of replicas) or their asking prices were too rich for me.

I wasn't restricting my search to just Bordigari or Fusina but, as mentioned earlier, any seats had to be of a style that could have been fitted 'in period'.

After several weeks without any hint of success, I widened my search &, on a site I hadn't checked before, I came across post asking for help in identifying a pair 'old' bucket seats- with a few small poor quality/under-exposed pictures ...

By saving/editing the photos I was able to see enough detail to make them potentially interesting so I fired off an email to say that, although I couldn't identify the seats, I'd be interested in buying them if they were for sale.

Fast forward few days & the poster provided some more info & came up with a figure he thought they were worth - they had been found in the loft of the house he'd just moved into where they'd apparently been stored for the past 40 yrs !!

The seller lived about an hour away from me so I arranged to pop over the next day to look at/measure the seats & if they seemed suitable for my intended purpose I'd buy them at his asking price.

The seats turned out to be in very good condition & although there were no manufacturer's identification markings anywhere, they certainly had a similar look to some of the Bordigari/Fusina models - so I paid the (full) asking price ... :wink:

I'll need to fabricate some suitable mounts/bases but they look as though they might fit the bill - at least in the short term.

Andy

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Look lovely Andy, bit like the seats from a Stratos.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Wonderful, well scored! :thumbleft:
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Andy is the Master of 'Slowly catch your Monkey' :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

'Slowly catch your Monkey'
Close...

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/softly ... hee_monkey
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Lightweight_911

Due to the staffing/'social distancing' problems caused by Covid-19, the UK registration process was severely affected, caused by a huge back-log of applications at the DVLA, so whilst waiting for an update, I worked my way through a list of jobs.

First task was to source/fit new fuel hoses of the correct type - Fulvia models from this period were originally equipped with Cavis* clear green fuel hoses so I purchased a couple of metres along with a buch of hose clamps.

Before:

After:

* Along with many of the other components used on the S1 Fulvias, this type of fuel hose was found on many contemporary Ferraris & consequently most suppliers take advantage of this with their pricing but, needless to say, I managed to find an alternative stockist with 'realistic' prices ... :wink:

Andy

Lightweight_911

Next up were a couple of electrical changes:

- replacing the original (50+ yr old) Bosch electro-mechanical voltage regulator with a new electronic version. Again - it's amazing how much money you can save with a bit of time spent on obscure internet links (& I don't mean those types of 'obscure links Thomas !!)

- I usually like to incorporate a battery cut-out switch somewhere on my cars - out of sight to the casual onlooker if possible - so fitted one in the Fulvia's engine compartment down in the osf inner wing.

I fabricated a suitable mounting 'box' for the switch from black textured ABS & mounted it utilising 2 holes that were already in the sheet metal.

Andy

Lightweight_911

Since the 1.3HF models came without bumpers & I didn't want a 'stick-on' front number plate, I opted to source one of the stainless steel plate holders/surrounds that Italian cars of this period utilised - so starting searching ebay.it ...

There were relatively few on offer at any given time & most seemed to be in poor condition - & had optimistic asking prices - but perseverance paid off I found this one (incorrectly described) for a reasonable price:

- & when the UK registration eventually came through I fitted it, along with a suitably-sized black & silver plate ...

Andy

Lightweight_911

Once the car was finally UK registered, it was time to rectify one aspect of the car that wasn't right - the rear ride height.

- this picture shows what the correct F:R ride height should look like:

Although Fulvia Coupes should have a slight 'nose down' attitude, many cars these days have an exaggerated rake - especially after restoration.

This is inevitably down to a failure to follow the Factory's requirement for 'pre-loading' the rear suspension before tightening all nuts/bolts to the correct torque.

The correct specification is to load up the suspension until the distance between the top of the leaf spring & the underside of the bump stop is ~ 80mm.

So, after loosening all of the relevant nuts (which necessitated drilling out a couple of rusted split pins), the boot was loaded with ballast until the required pre-load was achhieved (5 x 25kg bags of stones courtesy of B&Q :wink: ):

After tightening all of the nuts/bolts to the correct torque, it was time for a short drive to settle things down & to see if the desired result had been achieved ...

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Andy

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Lovely work as ever Andy.
Time to actually get out a drive now before winter sets in