BIB5566

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: BIB5566

Post by Lightweight_911 »

As Richard said, the fuel pumps for mfi are different to those used with carbs (& have different fuel pressure outputs).

This is what the correct mfi pump looks like:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

IMHO the cars were very well developed when new, and the range of aftermarket parts is small (Elephant excepted) because properly rebuilt even with stock parts the car for the road will be great.

Going harder, such as hill climbing upgrades are minimal because it is all you need to get a big change, but some compromises come with that.

My 911 of 30 years hill climbed for 14 years with small changes, but they transformed the car.
As said, depends what use you want from it and that will guide your changes.

Total polybushing the suspension, ie no rubber anywhere will make a change, bit harsher too, but that may be ok.
You will NEVER be short of info on DDK, and it lacks bullshit too, many on here have 'been there, got the T shirt'.

Press-on, and lots more reporting with pics please!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

On suspension, if it's a road car, I would definitely start with standard 69 S specs.

Bushings: IMHO standard rubber is the right compromise. Buy from Porsche - at least you know what you are getting, and it's less ruinously expensive than you might imagine.
Not all rubber is the same....

Fuel pumps tend to leak. Beware used ones, unless you have seen a video of it running and not pissing fuel everywhere. Ask me how I know...
hot66

Post by hot66 »

road car .. ive used elephant polybronze for over 15 years and find them brilliant ... tech has maybe moved on so if i need to finally replace the elephant bushes Ive got some rebel racing ones sat here ready to go on
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

It seems I have a lot to think about suspension wise, I probably should just focus on getting the car back on the road before I worry about any of that.

Its been a hot one today! so no big progress to speak of, I cleaned and wrapped my dash loom. I much prefer the fabric over the original electrical tape, it goes all gungy, tacky and horrible rather quickly, its horrible to unwrap and re-work at a later date, I know that its what they used originally but there are much better alternatives nowadays and its still basically black. Im not going to be striving for total originality on this car down to this level of detail.

I still dont know where the wiring for the fuel pump routes, I assume that if the T had a electric pump as well that it was placed elsewhere on the car? If it had a pump in the same position as the S then i sould have factory wires there in any case. I cant see any way to route the wire (without cutting a hole) other than through the smugglers box.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

knapmann wrote:
I still dont know where the wiring for the fuel pump routes, I assume that if the T had a electric pump as well that it was placed elsewhere on the car? If it had a pump in the same position as the S then i sould have factory wires there in any case. I cant see any way to route the wire (without cutting a hole) other than through the smugglers box.
The 69 T had an electric fuel pump, same place as the S and same basic design, just a different spec.

Please see attached pics. Pump is item 35 on the PET diagram.
The loom from the tank sender has another branch, which routes down behind the tank. This is the feed for the pump.
(Please excuse untidiness, this was early in the process of fitting the tank etc).
Attachments
20190501_165522899_iOS copy.jpg
Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 07.29.52.png
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

inaglasshouse wrote:
knapmann wrote:
The 69 T had an electric fuel pump, same place as the S and same basic design, just a different spec.

The loom from the tank sender has another branch, which routes down behind the tank. This is the feed for the pump.
(Please excuse untidiness, this was early in the process of fitting the tank etc).
Excellent thanks for the picture. Its obvious when you know I suppose. I can see in my smugles box there is a rubber bung plugging a hole through to the area you describe. I assume the wire goes through here? I cant see any other way for it to go. In any case I'll be happy routing it through here.

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Cleaned up the under bonnet area this morning i was getting ready for painting it a matt black but now im unsure, it all looks very original and honest, I assume this is the original factory finish? There are bis and pieces where the schitz has fallen away but over all its mostly untouched. What do people think I should do, paint or leave?

I cleaned up the main battery cables etc in here are well. All the wiring in here is nice and sorted now. Paint or no paint i can soon start putting all of this area and the dash back together :)

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

knapmann wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:
knapmann wrote:

Excellent thanks for the picture. Its obvious when you know I suppose. I can see in my smugles box there is a rubber bung plugging a hole through to the area you describe. I assume the wire goes through here? I cant see any other way for it to go. In any case I'll be happy routing it through here.

I believe the original routing was per my pic - just down behind the tank (not via the smuggler's box).
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

I don't know - the tank should have a lip (sealed) all the way round . If you just go down the back of the tank - is there a gap to get past this seal ?.
If you go into the smugglers box - then you just have to come out of it again somewhere ? .... or have I got that all wrong . How did mr P. do it ? (copy an original 2.0 S is easy answer ................ , finding one , hmmmmm)
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ref under bonnet finish?
Imho clean and leave as it, a slice of originality lost if you interfere with it.
Few buyers would moan.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It's a very long time since I had a '69 911E but I seem to remember that the wiring for the fuel pump ran from the fusebox up to the back of the fuel tank & through a rubber grommet in the centre (just infront of your RHD smuggler's box) ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.
up to the back of the fuel tank & through a rubber grommet in the centre (just infront of your RHD smuggler's box) ...
Yep. Please see below for hole, and my previous post for the wiring run before it goes behind the tank.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

It's a very long time since I had a '69 911E but I seem to remember that the wiring for the fuel pump ran from the fusebox up to the back of the fuel tank & through a rubber grommet in the centre (just infront of your RHD smuggler's box) ...

Yes you are both right that hole is where my bung is, im not sure why there is a bung there if it would have had wiring going through there from the factory but there we go, at least that mystery is solved!
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

As Richard said, the fuel pumps for mfi are different to those used with carbs (& have different fuel pressure outputs).

This is what the correct mfi pump looks like:

My pump looks the same, it has very lightly stamped number on the casing which is very hard to make out, but it ends 970 001 so from this I assume it is correct (as expected, but always nice to double check)