BIB5566

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Re: BIB5566

Post by knapmann »

This weekends "while I'm in there job" was a new MFI pump drive belt. The current one could be anything up to 30 years old and you don't want one of these snapping miles from home.

While I was in there I re-adjusted the timing which was a lot more hassle than it should have been. The timing was about half a tooth out. You should be able to adjust this out quite easily on the gear on the pump but the gear on mine was stuck solid. I used a puller to get it off. You could see that the hub that the gear sits on was marred around the edges in places for some reason so that you could only get the gear on and off by whacking it. There was certainly no turning it to adjust it once in situ. Fortunately as its an ally hub it only took me about 30mins of sanding the marred areas down with fine sand paper and offering up the gear numerous times before it would slip on just right and adjust easily in place. With this done I was able to adjust the timing just perfect. Not sure if it will really make much difference mind you!

hot66

BIB5566

Post by hot66 »

It won’t :lol: … I’ve accidentally had my pump,running 2 teeth out before and you couldn’t really tell any difference
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

More bad news today! Its becoming a theme. Took my clutch off to find I have the 1969S spec 1 year only aluminium clutch setup. In theory thats great, but not when your pressure plate is worn down to the aluminium base material and replacement pressure plates are impossible to find and very spendy indeed. The only good news is that the equally rare clutch disc looks brand new.

I could swap to a T/E spec steel pressure plate, but then I'd need to replace the clutch disc too as they are different thicknesses. Not sure which way to go.

Do you think its possible to re-face pressure plate with new a new layer of steel? I have no idea how this is applied...

IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

knapmann wrote:The only good news is that the equally rare clutch disc looks brand new.
The clutch disc pictured is not an original 69S part.
Is there a part number on it? I wonder if it's a re-issue from Porsche?
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

IanM wrote: The clutch disc pictured is not an original 69S part.
Is there a part number on it? I wonder if it's a re-issue from Porsche?
The disc in the photo is just a random VW disc i used to strip the gearbox down with :P
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

The while Im in there jobs continue. And some good luck for once!

I noticed a lot of oil down the back of my engine case and around the top at the rear too. I think they call this the triangle of death in the later cars. It seems anywhere this engine can leak oil from it will do. Fortunately its a lot easier to access in these early cars. I had no idea where the oil was coming from so I hit everything. A new breather cover gasket, JB welded the MFI pump return tube in place, a new o-ring for the thermostat, new crush washers for the oil pressure sender and a new rear crank main seal. The only thing I have left for now is the pressurised flexi oil line to the MFI pump as it looked ok. I will see how it goes as is for now before buying a new one as I may not need to.

Some good luck in the clutch department. I found a very local place who were able to re-face my pressure plate using a new flame sprayed steel coating for a very good price, which is how it was originally applied I think. So I have a new 0.5mm thick steel face, just like new, probably a bit thicker layer than new if anything so should last me out and then some. Im really happy about this as a replacement is about 4x the price.

Cleaned up my gearbox casing and daubed it in XCP which has many good anti-corrosion reviews, seeing as cant get Gibbs over here.

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Finally scored the last piece of my gearbox rebuild puzzle. I was all ready to go until I found my R&P was goosed. Took a while but at last I have my hands on a good used set which seem very hard to find for some reason. Ive added it to the rest of my goodies pile and will soon be sending it all out for assembly.

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Got my gearbox back from Mike Bainbridge a couple of days ago. A big thanks to him for getting it completed before Christmas so I can crack on with getting it back in the car. In the interests of doing it once and doing it right I have had all the goodies put into this, with a billet intermediate plate, side cover and bearing retainer. Its had replacement bearings, synchros, shift sleeves and dog teeth as needed, a replacement ring and pinion, and a Quaife TDB fitted. A lot of new parts all in that has meant me working a lot of overtime recently!

Set about getting it back in the car today. I installed new poly bushes on all 4 mounts before I started. Getting it bolted up to the engine underneath the car by ones self is not an easy task. The engine is sitting on jacks so I had to block up the gearbox a block at a time to get it level then push them together. Finally got it up and in. Just need to reconnect everything now.

Another thing I have done whilst the car is up in the air and in bits is uprate the torsion bars. I got a set of 930 26mm rear bars for a good price and a new set of 21mm fronts, so I'll see how they go.

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Howcome you replaced the side cover?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

To bomb proof the box from the cw&p making an exit sideways, a good mod imho.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

RobFrost wrote:Howcome you replaced the side cover?

Obviously its much stronger, I am future proofing it really. It was a luxury part that may not be necessary but when the whole thing is being rebuilt and the R&P is being re-set as well, it makes sense to do it now, plus I was getting the other parts from CMS anyway.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I'm tempted to ask if the old one is available as my clutch hoop has worn off, but I heard they need shimming so it may be easier just to add a bracket to my existing one.

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

RobFrost wrote:I'm tempted to ask if the old one is available as my clutch hoop has worn off, but I heard they need shimming so it may be easier just to add a bracket to my existing one.

I think that my 901/13 side cover is 1 year only, 1969, it is different to the earlier side cover (diff was smaller size pre 69) and the later side covers (changed to pull clutch). So unless you need a 901/13 specifically its no good to you.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I understand mine's one year only, push clutch, but 1970. I have a special trunnion and replacement bolt from a guy in the US. Not very clear, but I have a picture. You can see the hoop worn off. What difference in the side cover would I be looking for to determine it's different to yours?

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

RobFrost wrote:I understand mine's one year only, push clutch, but 1970. I have a special trunnion and replacement bolt from a guy in the US. Not very clear, but I have a picture. You can see the hoop worn off. What difference in the side cover would I be looking for to determine it's different to yours?
Im not sure what the difference is but the cable mounts are different for the push or pull type clutch. If you go on to the CMS website and look to order a billet side plate for the 911 gearbox there is the option of either the late 69 push clutch version or the 70-71 pull clutch version. There isnt a specific photograph of the different versions side by side though.