BIB5566

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: BIB5566

Post by 911hillclimber »

:)
'do' = 'DDK'!
One day you will be as old as me! :wink:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

From your pictures it looks like your cooler is some distance from the rear of the battery box. In my 1970 S which has a single cooler as standard the cooler is very close to the battery box. If memory serves it is not mounted vertically but at a slight angle being closer to the battery box at the bottom. So inclined backwards. This I think provides more clearance with the tire. Of course none of this helps you now.

My ST has under wing coolers too. I had these made at a cost of £110 each and they are the same physical dimensions as a 1970 S cooler. They are also located in the same way as on the S and have aluminium stone guards copied from an S but with slightly larger louvres. No clearance issues.

Oil filling of the ST is as already posted. Get the engine hot and as the solid oil lines become hot put more oil in the oil tank a bit at a time.
As for getting the engine warmed up quickly whilst stationary it is acceptable to put a thick towel over the engine lid grill.
Rust Never Sleeps
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

I think we are overdue an update ..... (you should have done about 1000 miles in it by now !!)
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Alreet Alan

Sorry for the slow reply, the email notifications I get from this thread go to my junk folder by default most of the time!

I would guess i have done 1000 miles this year mostly blasting around my local area. I did a bigger run up to north yorkshire which was fabulous, other than the large amount of time spent in the petrol station.

The car drinks fuel like I wouldnt believe but it seems like 15 mpg when blasting it is normal, so im learning to live with it... it sees nothing other than full acceleration or full brakes! I havent got out as much as I would like mostly due to me working OT to pay my big 911 debts, Ive just got of the back of a 70hr week plus about 20hrs doing paving in my back garden to keep the other half happy. Thats been the case most weeks this year. Hopefully I will get a few more quieter weeks next year.

Ive been buying bits and pieces on the sly which one day you will all see...

Mainly I have 2x issues, the biggest is that 1st and 2nd gear synchros are dead,... 1st is dead-dead-dead, which is pretty normal for 901 gearboxes. The shift sleeve and dog teeth will for sure be toast so I need a full rebuild of 1st. 2nd doesnt sound much better so im expecting the same there. I will be pulling the gearbox in October, so expect more better updates then!

All the best

Neil
Last edited by knapmann on Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Grand - fuel sounds about right ...... 15mpg was my average , going into single figures if I was , errr,,,,, being naughty ! (But on the bright side , over 20 was possible on a long run .... didn't get many of those)
Have fun - Alan
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I've never worked out my fuel econmy when ragging it around ... but 15 doesnt sound too bad if youre ragging it. Where in N Yorks did you end up ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

hot66 wrote:I've never worked out my fuel econmy when ragging it around ... but 15 doesnt sound too bad if youre ragging it. Where in N Yorks did you end up ?
It was a big run, kirby lonsdale, kirky stephen, appleby, alston, barnard castle, richmond, reeth, hawes, ingleton, home, about 4 hrs driving plus getting there and back, lovely empty roads by UK standards!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

knapmann wrote:
hot66 wrote:I've never worked out my fuel econmy when ragging it around ... but 15 doesnt sound too bad if youre ragging it. Where in N Yorks did you end up ?
It was a big run, kirby lonsdale, kirky stephen, appleby, alston, barnard castle, richmond, reeth, hawes, ingleton, home, about 4 hrs driving plus getting there and back, lovely empty roads by UK standards!
my local roads :cheers: . We are lucky up here. Thats a good 911 route too
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

I wonder what horrors I will find in here this weekend!

sladey

Post by sladey »

It'll be reet
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

knapmann wrote:I wonder what horrors I will find in here this weekend!

That is NOT a good start. Clearly that was not a box that Paul built - probably part of the saga which you know about .....

You might find just about anything - the bad news is that bits tend to be , err , expensive ! Good luck.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Gutted. This gearbox is even more shagged than I had hoped.

I have no idea if this gearbox is original to the car. Date wise it could be, as a late 1969 build car it has a correct 901/13 gearbox which was only used for less than a year I think before the 1970 model had the first 911 type gearboxes. I also have no idea how many miles the car has done. It shows 59k, it may have gone around the clock but part of me thinks that if it had done 159k in UK weather in the 70s/80s it would be 80% replacement metal, which it certainly isnt. So it might be right.

I was prepared for finding a totally knackered 1st/rev sleeve, dog teeth, synchro band, and the same on 2nd gear which has started to die as well. I was keeping my fingers crossed about the 4 point intermediate plate bearings and everything else.

For the strip down a friend 3D printed me one of the P260 holding plates, otherwise I only needed a clutch disc to brace the main shaft, and even this I could have lived without in the end.

So with it fully stripped down what do I have? These a myriad of parts to look at, so it would require a million photos to show them all.

Good
Amazingly the dog teeth on all gears including 1st look good
The 2nd/3rd, 4th/5th shift sleeves look good

Thats around where my luck ends.

Bad
The 1st/Rev sleeve looks surprisingly not terrible (not great, but not terrible), the teeth look maybe passable, but I think there is excessive wear on the inside shoulder which grips the synchro band. The band looked pretty decent but it certainly wasn't synchronizing. My current guess is that someone has been in here before and replaced the band and the dog teeth on 1st (the cheap parts) and left the original shift sleeve. Or maybe 1st gear altogether, as it has s different type of large circlip on it than the other gear which a have read is from a later manufacture. Unfortunately I think if the sleeve is worn enough then after not too long it wont grip even a relatively new synchro band.

I think the 4 point bearings need replacing. The bearing races although not badly galled etc look quite worn with some crazing. Im not sure how many more miles they would last. Maybe an expert would be a better judge.

Worst of all, the pinion gear is galled quite obviously. It needs replacing for sure. So thats a replacement CWP as well.

So basically ALL the big money expensive parts you would hope to be able to re-use instead need replacing. And now I need to replace the CWP, I will have to take it to a $$$ workshop to put it all back together as well. I have also read that if you replace the pinion you have to replace the large roller bearing that sits up against it as well.

Thats probably about £1500 in parts alone before paying someone to put it back together :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Hmmm ... I would suggest a trip to the Lake District , and chat with someone who knows these well ! (bring the bits obviously). That is my most helpful suggestion - gearboxes are NOT my thing.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

MB Engineering have done 3 915 rebuilds for me.
Safe hands.
In all 3 rebuilds Mike as good as replaced everything worn, parts are expensive, Mike is not.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Did my first "while im in there" job today, treated my drive shafts to 4 new gaiters and fresh grease.