BIB5566

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Re: BIB5566

Post by knapmann »

Well another disaster has happened. This car is definitely working against me, if it can find something to go wrong it will do.

To preclude this a few months ago I noticed that my clutch cable was fully adjusted all the way to the end of the thread at the gearbox end. There was no room left for adjustment. Thats how it came to me, but it seemed to work ok. It would shift into reverse without crunching so that told me it was releasing ok and the bite point was at a reasonable distance in the travel of the pedal. Maybe it had the wrong cable fitted or something

Well now I get my gearbox back and my re-faced pressure plate. Spend 2 full days putting it all back together as it was before, finally start it up, and now the clutch is dragging. Grinding into everything. WTF!! Well theres no more adjustment, the clutch release fork is simply hitting the gearbox side cover before the clutch is actually dis-engaging. Disaster. Maybe its the new side cover, maybe the fork arm is bent? God knows...There is no fixing this easily and I had no idea what the issue could be. Something is fundamentally wrong with the setup of the clutch.

After scouring everything I found what I think is the answer. I have never heard of this issue before. Fundamentally the pivot point for the fork arm is out of position because either (or both);

1) There is a plastic bushing/cup that sits in the fork arm pivot point, it has at some point disintegrated, I haven't noticed this even existed, and re-installed it without the bush. The bush will lift the arm off the pivot by a few mm and allow much further travel.
2) The flywheel has been machined down in the past and the pivot point has not been shimmed up accordingly

Both of these will reduce the amount of available travel in the fork arm and cause it to bottom out against the diff side cover before releasing the clutch.

The only reason I can think it is dragging now and wasn't before is because the pressure plate has been built back up about 1mm which is causing the dragging.

Unfortunately this means the entire lot has to come back out to install a £2 bush and a washer or two under the pivot ball. The only positives are that it is an inexpensive fix and that I have noticed the issue straight away, a dragging clutch would have made short work of my rebuilt gearbox synchros. Indeed its probably why the synchros were knackered in the first place. This and the fact that its all a learning curve and learning how these things work is all part of the game (so I keep telling myself).

Below is the fork arm at rest against the pressure plate, you can see there is barely any clearance to the side cover to actuate the clutch.

Oh well, first world problems and all that.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has come up against this issue?

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

I'm sorry to hear about the clutch binding. On a positive note that billeted side cover looks great.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Ok so here we are a few days later. I dragged the whole lot back out again which was much faster 2nd time around. The most labourious part is taking the drive shafts out. Whoever came up with 4 bolts and 2 studs with a paper gasket on each CV joint wants shooting. Makes the whole job of getting them in and out 10x longer.

In any case, with the whole lot back apart I found that 1) the plastic bush was still there inside the release fork and 2) there was 1x washer behind the ball pivot. Regardless, I bought a new bush and a couple of new flexi heater hoses on next day delivery. With the new bush arriving I found that my old one had worn down 1mm compared to my new one so replacing it gave me +1mm on the pivot point from where I started. After a bit of trial and error putting the gearbox and engine together and inspecting the release fork position in the end I added a further 2x washers to the ball pivot as well. With this done I had loads more travel in the fork arm and pedal to actuate the clutch.

Put the whole lot back together, fire it up and Yay I have gears! Wonderful gears that dont crunch! Rolled the car outside this morning and realised just how filthy it was from 4 months sitting in the garage. Washed the car, checked the tyre pressures, went for a drive expecting some kind of niggles or odd sounds from something I'd not reconnected properly, but no. It drove better than ever, gearbox is perfect needless to say, the Rennshift makes using it a dream, the clutch is working great, even got to test out the diff on some damp sections of road, the new 21/26 torsion bars are brilliant, I was worried they may be too stiff but they are perfect, well worth the £300 investment, as are the adjustable rear spring plates that meant I only had to get the torsion bars indexed in vaguely the correct spot and could fine tune the ride height on the screw threads. I need to re-index the front drivers side as its 1 tooth too high but that is easily done.

So im super happy right now but as always there is a list of things I still want to get done. A couple more little things I have done the last 2 days. One is fitting a 65-68 rear view mirror. I much prefer the chrome look vs the black windscreen affixed mirror they went to in 69. Being a 69 with lots of SWB interior features I felt that I can get away with it :) also I got a hockey puck for my steering wheel. I just need my 380mm wheel to finish being recovered by Johnathan to have the desired combo. Plus I got a new sticker from Ralph (thanks Ralph!)

Last edited by knapmann on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

That's a good result all round, what a start to 2022!
Everyone who has been down there will think the same about those bloody CV joints on the box, awful.
Much later, the CV's were capped in a steel cup but still 4 bolts, 2 dowels. Tiresome.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Great news :)
I love the new sticker. And it makes the trouble all worthwhile when it finally comes back together.

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Your car's looking great:

I have the same rear view mirror in mine and much prefer the look of it over the original item.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I have round mirrors for my 1970 T too - two of them. I also bought convex glass because the field of view seems pretty narrow. I like the 1970 mirror but I needed a matching pair because my headrests block the view over my shoulder.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I meant the interior rear view mirror.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Ralph wrote:I meant the interior rear view mirror.
Oh ok.

Does this bolt (on the right) have anything to do with the ball pivot above? I know it's a clutch upgrade for when I take mine apart but not sure where it goes.

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

RobFrost wrote: Does this bolt (on the right) have anything to do with the ball pivot above? I know it's a clutch upgrade for when I take mine apart but not sure where it goes.
Yes its basically the same, if your flywheel gets machined back to flat it will need shimming up by an equivalent amount to make up for it so that the pivot point sits the same distance from the pressure plate. You can probably get away with a certain amount of machining before this is necessary but how much is too much is difficult to know for sure.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

thanks. Now I know where it goes. :) Also, apologies for hijacking your thread.
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

hot66 wrote:
We had one Ddker who used to top up with oil almost as often as we all filled with petrol ... didn’t stop him driving it and having fun 8)
All that oil that leaks out makes for excellent additional underbody protection... ;-)

I should add that I've only just read this thread and what a fabulous read it has been - I'm glad that you stuck with it and were able to benefit from the collective knowledge that is DDK.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Got my Kardex yesterday. Confirms I have matching numbers engine and gearbox. Delivered originally as Light Ivory as suspected. Black basketweave leatherette interior. The 3 options are 5-speed box, comfort package (S exterior trim & fuchs), and speaker in dash. All good to know especially my matching numbers gearbox of which there were doubts.

Im glad to see the delivery address was specifically Isaac Agnew NI, and not just the generic Porsche Ltd GB which I think was typical for most.

Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

knapmann wrote:Got my Kardex yesterday. Confirms I have matching numbers engine and gearbox. Delivered originally as Light Ivory as suspected. Black basketweave leatherette interior. The 3 options are 5-speed box, comfort package (S exterior trim & fuchs), and speaker in dash. All good to know especially my matching numbers gearbox of which there were doubts.

Im glad to see the delivery address was specifically Isaac Agnew NI, and not just the generic Porsche Ltd GB which I think was typical for most.

That's good news .... I shall let "the boss" know !!
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Im a sucker for a lovely period grille badge. I have been looking for an appropriate Northern Ireland based motorsport one. The Ulster Rally or Circuit of Ireland or something like that but I dont think they ever made them, if they did they are very hard to come by. In the meantime the next best thing is a UK badge, I managed to get this NOS original BARC badge. It even came in its original box, postage stamped Feb 1976 from Thruxton, I know that this same crest design was used by BARC back in the late 60s as well.