BIB5566

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Re: BIB5566

Post by knapmann »

I got a few more aesthetic treats and a performance treat this weekend, went for a drive in the sun after a few weeks/months of not getting out due to fuel pump issues, reminded myself how amazing these cars are.

1) Coco Mats from the USA - I always think these looks great
2) Passenger side wing mirror - I need the symmetry of 2 mirrors
3) Interior Seatbelt hooks to hang the buckles on
4) A second cup holder for SWMBO

The performance upgrade was a set of Carbone Lorraine RC5+ brake pads that many of you recommend. Took 8 weeks to arrive as were on back order. Well these things are shite hot! Ive always been dissapointed in the brakes on my car (not that there was anything technically wrong with them). Its like ive had a massive caliper upgrade. My car actually STOPS! Very quickly! i had to totally re-adjust my braking to stop myself headbutting the windscreen if I stomped on the pedal as normal. Im massively impressed by the braking performance, the downside is the squeeling when braking at low speeds ~5mph, i.e. in queueing traffic, junctions petrol stations etc. Horses for courses I guess. Maybe there is a middle ground pad out there but trying them all out would be an expensive task. Im pretty happy with the CL ones for now. Id much rather have very good brakes with a bit of noise than crap brakes that are silent. Especially how I drive...

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

The pads really are good as you say!
Had mine for 10 years and still squeel at slow speeds, and sometimes don't.
Always stop, so function is everything. :)

I've chased the 'Best Pads' route for 30+ years, and these are the best for me, but i don't drive hard on the road, but when someone in a Range Rover Sport decided to cut in front of you, they are there from stone cold.

Should your gear lever tower boot stretch down to the carpet?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Interior looks fabulous :)

I’m going to need some new pads at some point not too far away so maybe time to invest.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Im fed up of my engine leaking buckets of oil everywhere. So this happened... How hard can it be...

sladey

Post by sladey »

Good for you!

Straight rebuild or some improvements?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

knapmann wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:01 am Im fed up of my engine leaking buckets of oil everywhere. So this happened... How hard can it be...
A question that many of us ask ourselves I'll bet. It takes a very brave man I think.... will be watching with interest. Best of luck :bounce: :cyclopsani: :cyclops: :compress:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

You need an engine stand first!
Dempsey book second
A few special tools you might get to borrow on DDK
Somewhere to CLEAN every part...takes ages.
Take your time

And everything will be good!
Pictorial reports mandatory of course. :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Engine stands are for wimps! Just kidding. My stand is in the works. Got my dempsey book and made most of the necessary special tools I hope!

I have some upgrade plans if all goes to plan, but nothing radical!
Last edited by knapmann on Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Dempsey book has a good listing of what can be reliably done to all the aircooled engines, well worth reading.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

My engine plans for this car have ebbed and flowed. I have been torn between building something on my original case, or changing the case. Originally I was planning a 2.5LS build on the original case, this needed replacement crank, rods, bolts, P&C, heads, MFI pump work etc, then I moved towards a 2.5SS build which needed all the same things but also a CW crank a 2.7l case (and all associated machining) and twin plugs.

I then realised that realistically this was far too expensive a build for me to ever be able to fund largely due to me needing to change pistons, cylinders, MFI pump, and heads (my 2.0 heads being no good for any larger builds). Also, I started to think that I would prefer to retain use of my matching numbers 69 case and 69S heads & pistons etc rather than mothball them for eternity on a shelf. I rather liked the idea of an "old-speed", period, almost 911R style build

The compromise build I have come to is simply to drop a 70.4mm crank in. This will give me about 2.15l and up my compression from ~9.8 to ~10.4 simply from additional swept volume. This gives me significant cost savings and retains the originality that I like. I will keep the matching no's case in the car. I can re-use my original 2.0S P&C, and heads which all appear in good condition. I can also retain my MFI pump as I think the small change in displacement can be adjusted for rather than getting it custom modified by some expensive workshop. Given the lightweight 80mm pistons Im sure I can run stock 2.7 rods and bolts and run them upto the 7.5k rev limit of the 70.4mm crank rather than laying out for pauter rods and ARP bolts etc... really the only expensive part of this build is twin plugging it which I had already mostly bought the components for second hand (I love a bargain). There is more than you would think to this, a Distributor and head modifications obviously, but also a second CDI+ box (+mount), second CDI wiring loom, second coil (+mount), a set of 12 HT leads, lower rocker cover modification (or buying fancy off the shelf ones), all kinds of lead holders, etc

Since I stripped the engine down and sent off all of the relevant parts to the local machine shop, (case, crank, rods, heads etc) I have been doing other bits and pieces I can get on with.

Made the mount for 2x CDI+ boxes
Mounted 2x Coils
Made the rod and chain holder tools
Modified the lower rocker covers for twin plugs
Modified the cylinder baffles

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Flywheel and gearbox?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

RobFrost wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:09 am Flywheel and gearbox?

I had my 901/13 gearbox rebuilt with an LSD by Mike Bainbridge last winter. So obviously that wont need any changes. I have got a lightweight Aasco Motorsport aluminium flywheel which should make up for the additional weight of the heavier crank and rods :)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

What is the difference between RC5 and RC5+? I've found some RC5 but they say track use only?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Good call on the engine conversion.
Twin plugging not to be taken lightly.
It is a very expensive mod as I found out both parts and time.

If you get stuck-in, you will be on the road for spring!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

knapmann wrote:
RobFrost wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:09 am Flywheel and gearbox?

I had my 901/13 gearbox rebuilt with an LSD by Mike Bainbridge last winter. So obviously that wont need any changes. I have got a lightweight Aasco Motorsport aluminium flywheel which should make up for the additional weight of the heavier crank and rods :)
I was wondering about the crank/flywheel interface. I believe the 2.4 crank doesn't fit the 2.0/901 flywheel. Did Mike sort some interface for you there?

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.