Tyre recommendations for a 356A

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

camperco
DDK rules my life!

Re: Tyre recommendations for a 356A

Post by camperco »

I would not recommend using the Michelin in the winter. It turned out very badly for the last person I know who tried to.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Driving a 356 through winter isn't a great idea either. You can hear it rusting over the engine noise

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

I think the point i am making about the XZX isn't that it is a winter tyre, because XZX is not a winter tyre. However as there isnt a winter tyre out there i think the XZX might work better than others.

But really the best tyres currently for the 356 is a Cinturato https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/165-15.html
Longstone tyres
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

I think there are plenty of proper/correct winter tyres out there if you want to drive your car in those conditions, without the need to go for a ‘period’ look, that is likely to get you into all sorts of bother. Winter tyres are designed for a reason, and better to be safe than sorry.
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

no they aren't actually winter tyres.
Longstone tyres
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

As I stated on here before. I contacted a period tyre producer and asked them to compare their offering with a modern tyre. They replied the modern tyre was much better at 1/3 of the cost

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

neilbardsley wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 pm As I stated on here before. I contacted a period tyre producer and asked them to compare their offering with a modern tyre. They replied the modern tyre was much better at 1/3 of the cost

Which tyre manufacturer did you ask that of?

did you specify what car and year the tyre was to be fitted to?

who did you ask with in that company?

My suspision is it wasn't a proper branded comapny, such as Michelin or Pirelli.

and you were either talking to sombody within the company who did not understand the technical difference between the enviroment in which the tyre would be working. by which i mean the different demands a classic car chassis geometry puts on its tyre carcass.

Or you just spoke to some numpty in sales who just wanted to flog you a tyre that he had access to.

If i spoke to some bozzo sweeping the floor at Aldi he would tell me that the speakers they have for sale are much better for my Bang and Oulfsen stereo than the Bang and Oulfsen ones because they were made in the same Bangladeshi sweat shop.
Longstone tyres
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

No I didn't ask someone sweeping the floor at a supermarket about tyres. I asked vredestein some very specific questions about their classic tyre v t trac for my car. I received a very detailed reply from their technical team. Which in summary is the modern tyre is far superior but the classic looks more classic.

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Touché
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

hm! funny that because the Sprint classic does not look classic and their modern tyres are better for modern cars not classic ones.
Longstone tyres
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

We've had a trade account with Vredestein for about 18 years. Just about every vehicle we've owned has been fitted with a new set of their tyres from the moment we bought it. They are generally excellent in my experience especially in rain, mud & snow. I've used them on our VW, Porsche, Peugeot and Ford rally cars and so do many or our customers. The Quatrac XL versions are very strong and stand up well to sliding across the busted up tarmac of most airfield tests.

Except for the Sprint Classic. Don't like that at all. Too hard and not much feedback. The Snow+ is only any use on roads covered in loads of snow, not so good when its frozen or melted.

But back to the 356 - my favourite 165x15 is the Blockley radial.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

Blimey!

Have i posted this on here?

https://www.cinturato.net/images/test-c ... s-0716.pdf

and the good news is that Pirelli have made a fresh batch of these

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/165-vr ... -cn36.html

N homologated
V rated
OE on early 911
handle beautifully
top quality manufacturer.

Look very cool!
Longstone tyres
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

oo i think i have worked how how to put the picture on

oo yeah

what about that?
Longstone tyres
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

That table is only as good as what tyre testing regime was used?
Were they put on cars and ‘ragged' round a specific course, or track to get these results, or driven as most car owners do, with some sense and practicality, with the occasional high speed jaunt every now and again.
It also appear to be very Pirelli orientated.............according to that report Michelins look crap, which is a load of Boll**ks.
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

Well the Pirelli are brilliant. that is why they score so highly.

I was also suprised by the Michelins performance. However they were testing the XWX, which is more aimed at heavier cars, and warmer climates. Hence the Michelin dry performance is actually very good.

We all know we want the Pirelli really. everyone would just fit the CN36 if all the tyres were the same price.

Anyway - what do you think of this?
5.00-5.25-16 Stella Bianca.jpg
Longstone tyres