1972 ST Clone

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

deano
I luv DDK!

Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by deano »

It sounds like a bad battery to me - there is no way that a fully charged battery can be flattened by the normal electrical load in that short period of time. I'm not familiar with the Odyssey battery or its chemistry - perhaps it needs a proper high current charge to bring it back to health - it might not happen again after that.

I would carry around a spare battery and jump leads (or jump start pack) until you know for sure....
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Or buy one of these and keep it in the car?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-jump- ... 022/n22349
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Nine One One wrote:Or buy one of these and keep it in the car?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-jump- ... 022/n22349
Thanks for the link. A good and useful comparison of jump packs. The Noco had been recommended by a Porsche acquaintance and to prevent a possible hernia I think I will purchase one.
Rust Never Sleeps
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Hi Kirk

Agree with Deano, once running the battery should be back to rude health in a very short period, and not draining. You could try a voltage test with the car running (the alternator should have it up in the 13-14v range).

I would check with Odyssey about the type of charger you use. I have the smallest battery in the world on my race car, and even when the standard alarm was fired it would go a couple of 3 days without draining to an unusable level with the power on. (The battery weights only 1kg, so about 15% of the size of yours). However, the manufacturer told me to only use their charger, and I have, and it is still going strong after 3 years. Isolating the battery between events like Andy suggested works well now the alarm etc is gone, and it fires straight away. So worth checking with them if the cTek is compatible and if so, talk to them about a warranty claim if the volt reading is in the range suggested.

I would also say a new or high torque starter makes a big difference with a theoretically more fragile battery. They tend to have a higher CCA so have more punch, but don’t last long under load.

Hope that helps
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

rhd racer wrote:Hi Kirk

Agree with Deano, once running the battery should be back to rude health in a very short period, and not draining. You could try a voltage test with the car running (the alternator should have it up in the 13-14v range).

I would check with Odyssey about the type of charger you use. I have the smallest battery in the world on my race car, and even when the standard alarm was fired it would go a couple of 3 days without draining to an unusable level with the power on. (The battery weights only 1kg, so about 15% of the size of yours). However, the manufacturer told me to only use their charger, and I have, and it is still going strong after 3 years. Isolating the battery between events like Andy suggested works well now the alarm etc is gone, and it fires straight away. So worth checking with them if the cTek is compatible and if so, talk to them about a warranty claim if the volt reading is in the range suggested.

I would also say a new or high torque starter makes a big difference with a theoretically more fragile battery. They tend to have a higher CCA so have more punch, but don’t last long under load.

Hope that helps
Wayne
Wayne, thanks very much for your comments. To clarify:
The car has a battery cut out which is used when the car is not in use.
A new high torque starter was fitted when the car was built.
A new alternator was fitted too.
The charging level of the alternator checks out.

However, I had not considered that the CTek may not be appropriate for the Odyssey so will look into this.
Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

I use a CTek on my Odyssey. The car's not been back on the road long but I haven't had any issues yet.
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

PeterK wrote:I use a CTek on my Odyssey. The car's not been back on the road long but I haven't had any issues yet.
Thanks for that.
Rust Never Sleeps
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

1972 ST Clone

Post by sladey »

I had a ctek charger - it died.

I looked to see if I could fix if and found a video where a geek dismantled it. He was very dismissive of the quality of the components. I watched his other videos and ended up buying a noco charger (not the booster) which overall he was impressed with

On the noco when charging you have to specify the type of battery - lead/acid or the other type (can’t remember the name - is it gel?) but the oddisey is the other type (I picked up an oddissy at the swap meet). Don’t know if the wrong type of charging has been put through the oddissey on yours

I can’t remember if the ctek had the same options or not but there should be 2 types of charging

Hope that helps
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

sladey wrote:I had a ctek charger - it died.

I looked to see if I could fix if and found a video where a geek dismantled it. He was very dismissive of the quality of the components. I watched his other videos and ended up buying a noco charger (not the booster) which overall he was impressed with

On the noco when charging you have to specify the type of battery - lead/acid or the other type (can’t remember the name - is it gel?) but the oddisey is the other type (I picked up an oddissy at the swap meet). Don’t know if the wrong type of charging has been put through the oddissey on yours

I can’t remember if the ctek had the same options or not but there should be 2 types of charging

Hope that helps
Sladey,
Thanks for your input. There is no battery type option on the CTek I have only battery size so this could be an issue. Possibly I have damaged the battery to a certain extent so it is not maintaining a full charge.
I have had CTeks for a considerable time ( two for 8 years) for all three cars and have had one fail.
Rust Never Sleeps
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I haven't read properly but it sounds like battery might not be holding charge. I had a faulty solenoid causing this. A round one near the front left inner wing. Horn, I think. I felt it and it was perpetually warm. I replaced it and battery held charge.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

RobFrost wrote:I haven't read properly but it sounds like battery might not be holding charge. I had a faulty solenoid causing this. A round one near the front left inner wing. Horn, I think. I felt it and it was perpetually warm. I replaced it and battery held charge.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Thanks Rob.
Rust Never Sleeps
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

RobFrost wrote:Just read about your woes :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE&t=40s
I am familiar with that Cleese clip. He modelled it on my attack on the HB series Viva I had. However, it was moderated for TV because I put the boot in the door and rear quarter and this was regarded as too violent for the producers of the TV programme.
Rust Never Sleeps
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

sladey wrote:I had a ctek charger - it died.

Hope that helps
Thanks for this info Sladey. My cheap Lidl charger developed a fault this week and drained the new 964 battery overnight to dead flat. I have a Noco charger coming today - cheaper than a cTek too, I think <£80 including the optional fused bolt on lead
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

All connected and pleased so far. It has a lithium setting and a battery restore function too.

Hope that helps
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone