1972 ST Clone

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by BILLY BEAN »

911GP wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:18 pm Hi Kirk, I just read all 23 pages of your entertaining thread. You had me in tears with the dead birds comment earlier on. Sorry to hear it hasn’t been a smooth journey (are they ever?) but it is good to read that things are getting better now.

Re your battery problem, you may have had the wrong setting on the ctek charger or have had the wrong type of charger. The “normal” setting is for regular wet 12v batteries and gel batteries. The odyssey is an AGM battery so needs to be set to “AGM”. Probably worth checking the NOCO replacement charger is set correctly.

Matteo, The two batteries on regular early 911s are in parallel so you only need one charger for the car.

Gitesh
Gitesh,
You should be awarded a medal trawling through my attempt at prose . Alternative description is drivel I suspect. The lightweight battery was ditched in favour of a standard batter. More weight but as I have been getting a bit "porky" myself I forgive the battery for its extra kilos. Thanks for the advice on settings though. Much appreciated.
Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Bootsy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:01 pm '23 pages of your entertaining thread'

It's always worth remembering how much the forum benefits from such great content. I know it takes time to document stuff and post pictures but it is really is appreciated - in bucket loads
Bootsy,
Thanks for your kind words. Not sure my posts fall into the "great content" category but I really appreciate the sentiment. As for posting pictures: I do very few of those. Must try harder.
Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I disagree Kirk - your musings are so brilliantly dry I share the sentiments above entirely. It is a shame that things must go wrong to provide the material!

Btw - can’t believe the policeman bought the old pulling into a lay-by routine!

All the best
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

rhd racer wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:57 pm I disagree Kirk - your musings are so brilliantly dry I share the sentiments above entirely. It is a shame that things must go wrong to provide the material!

Btw - can’t believe the policeman bought the old pulling into a lay-by routine!

All the best
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Wayne. I appreciate your comments. Fortunately, things do go wrong but generally it does not ruffle my feathers too much: in context these are not issues to get down about. I try my best when writing about my mishaps.
Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

I have taken a little break from things Porsche with a few days in the wilds of Scotland and then two days in Edinburgh. Not been to the latter for 25 years or so. Forgot how hilly the place is and being 25 years older and in my mid 70s more knackered. Mrs Cuddles likes walking; me less so. Indeed not a keen walker at all. Walking to my car on the front of the house is my idea of a walk. Would rather have my bum in the driver's seat of a good car. Talking of which we perambulated the fine A and B roads of Scotland in Mrs Cuddle's Audi Q something or other which is really very boring indeed. Shared driving was the need for the Q Thing as Mrs C will not drive my daily BMW and refuses to get into one of my " old heaps". She wouldn't say that if she knew the old heaps' values but that is a deep dark secret. Anyway my next short holiday will be in Norfolk. That was lost on Mrs C. Had to explain it was because it was flat in contrast to Edinburgh. I would like to say she has had a humour by pass but she was born like that. Fortunately my daughters have both got a good sense of humour.
So with the interlude well and truly over I suppose I must continue where I left off with the latest 'news' on the ST.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

So along with Stretch and the Danish Viking we spent the Saturday night prior to Classics at the Castle at a pub in a hamlet about 16 miles from CatC. Beverages and food of dubious quality but a pleasant evening nevertheless. The Dane was probably considering some ravaging of the local populace but the pub was surrounded by farm land and cows. As far as I know he is not into bestiality.
Breakfast next morning was a huge and predictable fry up which would have sustained a proper man never mind my diminutive frame. Whilst having breakfast I was quietly pondering. Would the ST be problematic starting as it had the day before? Would it even start? Would I make CatC? How embarrassing would it be to sit in the pub carpark waiting for the RAC?
The cars were glistening with dew in the early morning light and Stretch set to with his microfiber cloth removing the moisture. Ever prepared I had a dirty old rag and some tissues. OK glass all wiped down and now for the big moment. Got into the car with trepidation did my usual starting procedure and third turn of the key and relief, no I had not inadvertently wet myself, the thing started. Well the day was looking good already!! Car started, sun shining, nice drive through the Essex lanes with some mates and CatC to look forward to. Should be a great day.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Enjoyed CatC as I met up with old acquaintances, met some lovely guys who post regularly on DDK and had the opportunity to talk OPB. Old Porsche Bollocks. One guy who reads this stuff thought I was "posh'. After a few minutes conversation I think he revised his opinion. (Hello if you are reading this).There has been some criticism of the £25 to park in a field. My mate Phil and I call this an OBIF event. Old blokes in fields. OK some of the blokes are quite young so apologies to you. Happy to see other people's cars and meet up with friends. This particular event was made better by the fine weather.
Time to journey home. Followed Stretch off the site and eventually onto the A120. It is an inviting bit of dual carriageway and without too much traffic an opportunity to press on a bit. Stretch was giving it some beans and I was a respectful distance behind him pulling around 4750 RPM. A modern BMW so close behind me that I could not see his number plate and occasionally not even his headlights. Close behind did not really cover it. What an A hole!
The ST obviously decided it was time for an 007 stunt to teach the guy in the BMW a bit of a lesson. Stretch slows a bit and I look in my rearview mirror to see a huge cloud of grey smoke emanating from the rear of my car. First thought was that the rear is on fire. Second thought was where had the BMW disappeared to?
Pulled into a convenient layby. Switched off. Got out. Side of the car plastered in oil. Oil pooling under the right hand front oil cooler. Peek under the front wing and see an oil pipe dangling where it should have been connected to something. Front wheel arch like the black hole of Calcutta ( is that non PC these days?)
Tried calling the RAC. No signal. A lady DDKer pulls up in her 993 and asks if she can help. Porschebelle gets a signal on her phone and the RAC are on their way. In the meantime start cleaning the oil off the side of the car. My dirty rag lasted a few wipes, Stretch sacrificed his micro fibre and we had not made a lot of difference in the oil removal stakes. Porschebelle, being ready for such eventualities brings out a load of clean rags, heavy paper cloths and sets to along with Stretch with me looking on like the spare d at a wedding. 30 minutes later and the side of the car is cleanish. Shortly afterwards the RAC man arrives. Torch in hand we can see the Cohline fitting is still in place but the hose is no longer attached to the fitting. Failed crimp collar. Bugger. Then. Did I stop in time. Would the engine have been starved of oil and be knackered?
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Time was 3. 40 pm. The potential fix was a couple of Jubilee clips but the right hand caliper and brake pads were soaked in oil so would be useless. A journey of 90 miles or so with brakes pulling to one side and the potential for further trouble with the oil line told me I should wait for a flat bed to get the car back. Told it was a four hour wait when a "Trusted partner", said a text from the RAC would arrive. Settled into the seat.Yeah right! Four hours later and sweet fanny Adam's. First of 28 phone calls to the RAC with promises that a truck was on it's way. Lots of intervening calls with lots of promises that help was on its way "soon", in "30 minutes", in "an hour" and it is "nearly with you" etc etc. At 10.10pm I was inadvertently put though to the "Recovery Centre" who had no record of my car. Surprise. Not really. Get a text saying if I am still stranded then a vehicle was on its way. Of course it was. Finally get a call from George a
" manager" from the Walsall head office. Who says he is very sorry but they are extremely busy. Tell him he is not sorry and they have not been busy for over 7 hours. Tell him I had been in contact with the recovery centre and they have no record of my car. The voice that originally sounded like he had swallowed furniture polish suddenly sounds like someone has got hold of his nuts and is squeezing them. OK says the squeek I will get you a car to take you home. And the Porsche says I? "Oh just leave it in the layby and we will collect it in the morning". Yeah right. I declined the offer. George said he would do his best to get a flat bed. Told George I was very cold and dehydrated and said I was thinking of throwing myself in front of a passing vehicle as I had had enough of the situation. I could hear an audible gulp on the other end of the call. George said no car was worth that kind of thing. I said it was not the car but RAC incompetence that would lead to my demise.
I was so cold my teeth were chattering and I was having problems putting numbers into my mobile phone as my hands were shaking ( no it was not the DTs). Remembered that I had a car cover in the boot so wrapped myself in that. At 12.10pm a flat bed turns up from a local contractor. He tells me that he had got an order at 10.35pm to collect me. He then sees the pool of oil and says he is not putting my car on his flat bed and make it messy. Sod it! He then started laughing and said it was a joke. Fortunately my sense of humour was still intact.
The flat bed was to take me to South Mimms services on the M25 where another truck would be waiting. Of course it was. Another hour and 10 wait at South Mimms. Driver had to rest for a further 20 minutes otherwise he could not continue. At least the cab was nice and warm. Finally got the car back to Autofarm at 4.00am.
Autofarm had left a courtesy car for me so I could make the 12 mile journey to my home.
You got to love the RAC.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

To be continued if you have not fallen asleep yet and big surprise there are pictures!
Rust Never Sleeps
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Sad situation, great write up! I think Darren and I passed you in said lay be in the Mongrel and waved as we thought you were taking a break.
The force is strong in this one ......
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Fall asleep? I couldn’t stop myself laughing, even if schadenfreude is not a particularly admirable quality!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

yoda wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:27 pm Sad situation, great write up! I think Darren and I passed you in said lay be in the Mongrel and waved as we thought you were taking a break.
Sorry I did not see you wave. If I had I would have 'waved" back. Two fingered wave that is. I only jest.
Thanks for the kind comments.
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

matteo68 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:36 pm Fall asleep? I couldn’t stop myself laughing, even if schadenfreude is not a particularly admirable quality!
Schadenfreude? Well Porsche is a German car so it is probably appropriate.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

https://vhc.video/KvZ3RH1B
Hopefully if the above works you can see the car after a clean up. Apart from the front right wheel well being totally plastered in oil so was the right hand rear arch and the right hand half of the floor pan and both tires/ wheels on the right hand side of the car. Front right oil cooler and stone guard also required a clean up. Brake pads were toast. The car is ex South African delivery and the guy Travis at Autofarm is appropriately enough from SA. Travis did a great clean up job and returned the shell back to immaculate condition.
For the record the oil lines were made up as they are a non standard fitment for the two front coolers. In keeping with Porsche they are Cohline. It is ironic that two of the items where I did not supply restored or new items for the build have caused issues. Oil lines were made and fitted by Fennlane and the pedal box which Fennlane also provided and fitted caused the earlier fire. Obviously it does not pay to trust people sometimes.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

OK. A rarity for me. Not only have you the delight of moving pictures in my previous post but now you have actual pictures. Such a treat. ImageImageImage

The top picture shows the very pathetic attempt at crimping the collar which holds the flexible hose onto the Cohline fitting.
The second image is the offending elbo that the hose detached from with a new crimp sleeve.
Third picture is the new hose and fitting with crimped collar.
Original new Cohline fittings have a very aggressive crimp with deep 'grooves' into the crimp collar. The poor attempt to crimp by Fennlane was to try and emulate the Porsche original with an eight jaw crimp tool. Failed miserably of course. My guess is they used a hand powered crimp which is OK for small collars on say a fuel line but no good for the bigger job.
The crimp on the re made lines is very different to Porsche originals as is the crimp collar diameter and the hose used. The crimp was achieved with a professional hydraulic crimp press. I decided to replace two other oil lines to try and avoid further failures. I provided either the existing or new fittings which I had. The company making up the lines provided the hose and crimp collars. They were done whilst I waited and cost £70.00.
Not that many companies deal with Cohline so I was fortunate to find somewhere reasonably close at hand.
A rarity in my ramblings: an attempt at technical details!
To be continued.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps