1972 ST Clone

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by BILLY BEAN »

inaglasshouse wrote:Hold on just one moment.... you don't wash your cars... but you iron your clothes?

WTF*????

Clive is right about the GoPro. Could have been worse (or funnier) though, had you already got to the steeper bit. Bye bye ST, heading off unaided....

* as my children would say. Possibly even a WTAF in this case.
Richard,
I was not ironing my clothes. I was ironing
A Duvet cover
B Fitted sheet
C Two pillow slips.

I detest ironing but was trying to earn some much needed 'brownie points'. However, despite my best ironing efforts I know SWMBO will go over the above so that they are faultless. Just can't see the point myself: two seconds on the bed and all that perfect ironing will be undone. Still it makes someone in the household happy. The anally retentive one.
Fortunately, I did not have any mishaps with the steam iron or ironing board to report although my limp has got worse.
Why the f**k have I felt it necessary to discuss my domestic arrangements? Answers on a postcard please.
Hope you are well Richard.
Rust Never Sleeps
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

BILLY BEAN wrote:
anglophone1 wrote:Kirk- I can just see this - you need to have a GoPro running all the time- pictures would be wonderful.
I’m at Bicester doing HERO novice trial in Tango 914 in two weeks time and down in Sussex in Jaffa 911 the following weekend for Graham’s breakfast meet and the Retrothingy at Goodwood.
Hope to see you?
C
Clive,
No GoPro as I would definately confirm that I am accident/ problem prone with the ST. Not going to Graham's breakfast meet as I don't want to catch the indiscriminate car buying disease from Graham. No retro thing either as it does not appeal. Happy to meet up after your Hero Trial if you are still in one piece. Thought they only tried criminals?
Regards,
Kirk
Will be back again following week - will PM you.
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

BILLY BEAN wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:Hold on just one moment.... you don't wash your cars... but you iron your clothes?

WTF*????

Clive is right about the GoPro. Could have been worse (or funnier) though, had you already got to the steeper bit. Bye bye ST, heading off unaided....

Richard,
A Duvet cover
B Fitted sheet
C Two pillow slips.

I detest ironing but was trying to earn some much needed 'brownie points'. However, despite my best ironing efforts I know SWMBO will go over the above so that they are faultless. Just can't see the point myself: two seconds on the bed and all that perfect ironing will be undone. Still it makes someone in the household happy. The anally retentive one.
Fortunately, I did not have any mishaps with the steam iron or ironing board to report although my limp has got worse.
Why the f**k have I felt it necessary to discuss my domestic arrangements? Answers on a postcard please.

Well if it is any consolation, I do the ironing in our house too. Usually in front of car programmes on the box; one for me, one for the girls trade off. I draw the line at bedding though....

Anyhow, your leg injury reminded me of an incident I had a week or so ago. Up on the pitch of the garage roof (which is at gutter height of the main house, so more than high enough for someone scared of heights), I was jet washing the moss off, because it keeps falling and making a mess of the patio. I know....

Anyhow, I got cramp in my thigh and hip, and was completely incapacitated with pain. I had to lie over the pitch, one arm and leg one side, the other arm and leg the other. My daughters said I looked like a dead seal.

It’s not just you. Hope that eases the pain. Car looks lovely
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

rhd racer wrote: Anyhow, your leg injury reminded me of an incident I had a week or so ago. Up on the pitch of the garage roof (which is at gutter height of the main house, so more than high enough for someone scared of heights), I was jet washing the moss off, because it keeps falling and making a mess of the patio. I know....

Anyhow, I got cramp in my thigh and hip, and was completely incapacitated with pain. I had to lie over the pitch, one arm and leg one side, the other arm and leg the other. My daughters said I looked like a dead seal.

That made me chuckle. Reminds me of climbing up onto the roof of my parents’ place and walking along the pitch to clear a bird’s nest from one of the chimney. As the nest came out, all the smoke & soot from the fire below shot upwards & into my eyes. With dirty hands, I couldn’t clear my eyes (or contact lenses). Climbing off a roof while completely blind & in pain is not something I wish to repeat :lol:
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

rhd racer wrote:
BILLY BEAN wrote:

WTF*????

Richard,
A Duvet cover
B Fitted sheet
C Two pillow slips.

Well if it is any consolation, I do the ironing in our house too. Usually in front of car programmes on the box; one for me, one for the girls trade off. I draw the line at bedding though....

Anyhow, your leg injury reminded me of an incident I had a week or so ago. Up on the pitch of the garage roof (which is at gutter height of the main house, so more than high enough for someone scared of heights), I was jet washing the moss off, because it keeps falling and making a mess of the patio. I know....

A fine picture of you straddling the ridge.!!! Made me smile.
I recently jet washed moss off the garage roof but fortunately without incident.
Hope you are fully recovered.
Rust Never Sleeps
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I have a picture of how I stopped the ladder sliding down the pitch, as I didn’t have a ridge stay. It involved a trailer strap and a paving slab, but I couldn’t possibly show you otherwise the Health and Safety would get involved. And it wasn’t that bad....
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

rhd racer wrote:I have a picture of how I stopped the ladder sliding down the pitch, as I didn’t have a ridge stay. It involved a trailer strap and a paving slab, but I couldn’t possibly show you otherwise the Health and Safety would get involved. And it wasn’t that bad....
You are obviously a risk taker.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

DDK team entry for the Darwin Awards, anyone? Let's be careful out there!
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

inaglasshouse wrote:Could have been worse (or funnier) though, had you already got to the steeper bit. Bye bye ST, heading off unaided....
When I read Kirk's post, that's what I thought the end result was going to be.

Hope the injury soon heals & glad that the resulting pain was offset by the adrenalin rush created by your drive !

Lovely car ... 8)

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:Could have been worse (or funnier) though, had you already got to the steeper bit. Bye bye ST, heading off unaided....
When I read Kirk's post, that's what I thought the end result was going to be.

Hope the injury soon heals & glad that the resulting pain was offset by the adrenalin rush created by your drive !

Lovely car ... 8)

Andy, I did have a brief vision of the car going it's own way down hill. Fortunately, I managed to recover my composure, get on my feet and get hold of the steering wheel to prevent the vehicle ending up in the roadside ditch. The heavy road camber taking the car in the direction of the ditch.
Regards,
Kirk
PS Limping a little less today thank you.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Wed May 26, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Like most, for obvious reasons, "events" have been thin on the ground so decided to take myself off to Cafeine & Machine this evening. This was for an aircooled gathering except some poor souls obviously did not get the message and turned up in various new motors. The 'event' also afforded me an opportunity to meet up with some friends in various aircooled kit: 1967 912, 1955 VW Beetle and a couple of split screens.
I picked up the ST from Autofarm and on start up set off an alarm on a nearby 911. The starting problem, I have experienced, may have been the alternator not charging the battery but this checked out. The other suspect was the inclusion of a period Bosch battery cut out. A number of people have told me that these can cause issues. Autofarm have done something to this device; the exact details of which I have yet to catch up with. The sticking speedo needle is sorted.
So for those of you waiting for a story about running myself over, or similar, or some other mishap, you are going to be disappointed. No laughs here today.
A short blast up the M40 from junction 10 to junction 11, head into Banbury outskirts and then pick up the A422. The A422 is a lovely road with, unusually, a nice smooth surface, some good bends and a few dramatic changes of elevation. Progress is tempered by passing through a couple of villages where respecting the 30mph speed limit is de rigueur. That is French so I am told.
The engine is certainly revving more freely as I get more use of the car and even the short shift gear stick is getting easier but care is still needed making upward changes from 4 to 5. Still easy to snick third without a bit of thought.
Met up with a couple of DDKers and had a long conversation with Mike Campion who turned up in his freshly built 'Jagermeister'. And very nice it is too.
After a couple of hours at Cafeine & Machine it was time to return home. With a little trepidation had the starting issue been resolved? Plenty of people looking on so hopefully I would not be in the embarrassing position of asking for a push start. Battery cut out on. Ignition on. Waiting a few seconds for the fuel pump to make its customary noise. MFI enrichment on. Clutch down. Turn ignition key. Starter engages and turns the engine and then waaarp. Engine burst into life. Relax.
Apart from carrying a mask in the car I have a new accessory. Although completely deaf in one ear perversely it still produces tinitus and for the last few days it has been really bad. The noise inside the car on anything but a short journey at modest speeds makes the tinitus much worse. Enter a gift from my friend Nick. Pictured here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Thu May 27, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
satan
DDK above all

Post by satan »

BILLY BEAN wrote:Bad boy. And I am not using the modern parlance for "good" either. Sun shining SWMBO out and I thought f**k the ironing I was supposed to do. A woman's work is never done......or in my case old bloke. Time to get the ST out and go for a little jaunt. Accelerator pedal definately does not feel right. Something broken or disconnected? Heart sinks. The car that keeps on giving. Check the engine end of the throttle mechanism and all appears well. Can't check under the pedal boards as I have three cars crammed into a two car garage with only just enough room to open the door of the ST to slide in. Can't push the car out either.
Call 911 International Rescue. OK it was Autofarm who are three miles away. Not long later and Mike the Mechanic ( Not Mike and the Mechanics) arrives and the bad boy is pushed into the light. Passenger side pedal board lifted and ......ImageImage

Hi,

This is a really enjoyable thread (perhaps moreso for the observer than the author on occasion), with the quality of the work nearly eclipsed by the humour of the prose.

Just looking at this picture of your RHD pedal cluster setup it appears that you've installed a return spring on the throttle linkage, attaching this to the tunnel - is that correct? My throttle return has never been as "robust" as I'd like, so interested as to how reliable you've found it and whether the rationale is the same?

Cheers,

Chris
1971 911e
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

satan wrote:
BILLY BEAN wrote:Bad boy. And I am not using the modern parlance for "good" either. Sun shining SWMBO out and I thought f**k the ironing I was supposed to do. A woman's work is never done......or in my case old bloke. Time to get the ST out and go for a little jaunt. Accelerator pedal definately does not feel right. Something broken or disconnected? Heart sinks. The car that keeps on giving. Check the engine end of the throttle mechanism and all appears well. Can't check under the pedal boards as I have three cars crammed into a two car garage with only just enough room to open the door of the ST to slide in. Can't push the car out either.
Call 911 International Rescue. OK it was Autofarm who are three miles away. Not long later and Mike the Mechanic ( Not Mike and the Mechanics) arrives and the bad boy is pushed into the light. Passenger side pedal board lifted and ......ImageImage

Hi,

This is a really enjoyable thread (perhaps moreso for the observer than the author on occasion), with the quality of the work nearly eclipsed by the humour of the prose.

Just looking at this picture of your RHD pedal cluster setup it appears that you've installed a return spring on the throttle linkage, attaching this to the tunnel - is that correct? My throttle return has never been as "robust" as I'd like, so interested as to how reliable you've found it and whether the rationale is the same?

Cheers,

Chris
Chris,
Thank you for the compliment. Most kind.

The throttle spring set up was with the original car if memory serves. However, the pedal box was also modified to a brake bias design and a different throttle pedal. In short I have no idea if this is therefore a "standard" RHD arrangement regarding the spring. The throttle pedal is certainly positive with well judged resistance but does not require extra effort to depress. The throttle does close comfortably once the pedal is released. As for reliability: still very early days with the whole car so anything could happen. And probably will!
Rust Never Sleeps
hot66

Post by hot66 »

it looks like you dont have the return spring on the mfi throttle crossbar which is probo why youve had the spring custom fitted to the pedal
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

hot66 wrote:it looks like you dont have the return spring on the mfi throttle crossbar which is probo why youve had the spring custom fitted to the pedal
James a perfectly reasonable thought. However, the cross bar for the high butterflies has two return springs: one at each end of the bar.
Rust Never Sleeps