1972 ST Clone

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

keith fellowes
DDK forever

Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by keith fellowes »

Wow Kirk a lucky 'save' there by Reg
Hope they can find the cause for definite and Reg's sphincter returns to normal size
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

keith fellowes wrote:Wow Kirk a lucky 'save' there by Reg
Hope they can find the cause for definite and Reg's sphincter returns to normal size
Thanks Keith. Pretty confident of the cause. Not sure of the extent of the damage.
Rust Never Sleeps
hot66

Post by hot66 »

not good to hear . Hope it turns out just to be a local wiring repair
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

hot66 wrote:not good to hear . Hope it turns out just to be a local wiring repair
James,
Thanks for that. I hope so too!
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Update:
Received a video from Autofarm this morning. There are six wires that have been damaged. Fortunately these are not in the 'tunnel' area of the main loom. They are principally under the dash and through into the front approaching the fuse block. The brake light switch is toast as might be expected. The plan is to splice in new wires. This will save dropping the engine and gearbox and removing the loom. Provided the replacement wires are soldered in and properly insulated the repair should be acceptable. The brake light switch on the bias brake set up will be repositioned to prevent a repeat of the of the electrical shorting issue. So not as bad as it might have been if the main loom had been damaged.
Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

That must be a relief - good to hear that the damage was relatively minor & that rectification should be fairly straightforward.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

That must be a relief - good to hear that the damage was relatively minor & that rectification should be fairly straightforward.

Thanks Andy. Yes decidedly a positive bit of news.

Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

First off some gratuitous pictures from this morning at Autofarm. I was happy to see the car now it is sorted after its attempt at immolation.
The cause of the problem was a badly positioned and secured brake light switch. The switch had shifted and shorted the electrics causing a potential fire. The pedal box is a bias braking non standard affair. I should have been more vigilant in its installation. The brake light switch has been relocated out of harm's way and the brake circuits tested to ensure no leaks.
The loom is one supplied by Gerard Kroon and essentially the wrapped section in the centre tunnel was undamaged. The five damaged wires were the 'tails' between the end of the wrapping and the fuse block. Kroon kindly supplied the correct coloured wires to effect the repair. Kroon does not usually supply wire but did so when the situation was explained to him.
Mark at Autofarm 'spliced' in the new wires : soldered and carefully wrapped them. We are good to go. Hopefully. Due to other arrangements I did not collect the car and take it for a drive so I have yet to see if all is well.
Mark took the car for a test drive and commented on the horrible gear change. Something that I need to address to get rid of the short shift.
So happy ever after?? Probably not. I am sure the car that " keeps on giving" has another spanner to throw in the works. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Looks bloody awesome Kirk!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

matteo68 wrote:Looks bloody awesome Kirk!
Thanks very much Matt. Hopefully yours will be even better.
Rust Never Sleeps
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I for one will be very interested in how you resolve your gear shift. Short throw devices always for me seem to fall below my expectations, but notchy and hard changes seems to still dog me. hoping to get a stock '73 type tower shifter at the autojumble soon.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

911hillclimber wrote:I for one will be very interested in how you resolve your gear shift. Short throw devices always for me seem to fall below my expectations, but notchy and hard changes seems to still dog me. hoping to get a stock '73 type tower shifter at the autojumble soon.
Graham,
Yes it is a very notchy, metallic and very stiff shift requiring quite a bit of force.The shift from 5 to 4 has to be taken very carefully and slowly as there is the possibility of hitting reverse (915 box). Short shift, at it's best, is supposed to provide quicker shifts. The one I have actually does the opposite as you have to gingerly work your way around the gears. I have been told by two seperate, well qualified individuals, that short shifts take a toll on gear box longevity. How true this is I don't know.
I have been looking for a stock tower also but to no avail. However, I have located enough stock parts to convert the gear tower back to it's original state.
Rust Never Sleeps
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Interesting!
I sold mine which I had added the Sienne shift bias system to, foolish.
Maybe in the spring I will borrow one if I can find one and see if my road-only shifts are better than the one I have.
Bit of a bee-in-the-bonnet.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

911hillclimber wrote:Interesting!
I sold mine which I had added the Sienne shift bias system to, foolish.
Maybe in the spring I will borrow one if I can find one and see if my road-only shifts are better than the one I have.
Bit of a bee-in-the-bonnet.
Understandable that you have a"bee in the bonnet" as the gear shift is one of the important interfaces between driver and vehicle. If it is your hill climb car you are talking about then the shift is a crucial element in helping to post a good time.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Yep. There is one in the works. Report soon. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps