Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by hot66 »

8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Return springs on the High Butterfly cross bar.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Well I never!
Took the ST to Bicester Scramble today which is just a few miles from my home. Car started on third long go with the starter. It should have plenty of juice in the battery as it has been on the CTek since last used Wednesday last week. Adjusting the hand throttle keeps the tick over high to prevent the engine cutting out. Being prudent to replenish the battery after start up went for a 14 mile trip around the local deserted roads. This also ensured I got the oil up to temperature.
Arrived at the Scramble just after opening and got in without delay. I was asked if the car was pre 1992 as cars were supposed to be organised into pre and post 1992 groups. Some hope. A few spaces along from my parking spot was a 997 and others of later ' vintage'. Parked next to an early 1960's Beetle and the guy was cleaning black bits off the front of the car. I suggested he leave the flies as it shows the vehicle was being used. He said that the flies were being left as a " badge of honour" as the car did not really "go fast enough to kill flies".
I was supposed to meet up with KS to hand over some air Horns. He bottled the trip. Don't blame you Keith as it is a very long round trip for an old fella. I think if Bootsy had been at the Scramble KS might have made the effort. Clearly, being a sugar daddy no longer has the pulling power it once had and obviously, I am not as attractive as our glorious leader.
Met up with Cars & Cabbages ( don't ask me ask Stretch) crew ( please note NOT cru) who are all DDKers.
Weather remained overcast but warm and dry.
Met a couple of guys who recognised the car from the previous week, at Caffeine & Machine, who both said it made a great noise when accelerating away from the venue. Being pretty deaf I have no real idea.
The nerves returned when it was time to leave and start the car. Would there be enough juice in the U2 size battery to turn over the engine? Got the metaphorical prayer mat out and faced east. Blimey. Wonders will never cease! Second turn of the ignition and the engine lit up with a satisfying racket.
Off for lunch about seven miles away in our little convoy of five cars. Good company and satisfying food with some banter thrown in made for a great time. We had two youths with our group who we are trying to indoctrinated into old cars.
Time to leave. Trepidation returns. Would the ST have enough electrical power to turn the engine over? Yep. Second turn. Nice surprise.
Arriving home four miles distant. Whilst opening the garage doors I tempted fate by switching off the ignition? Would it or wouldn't it?
First turn.
Are the starting problems really sorted? Is the use of the car becoming very boring? After all it seems to start, stop and go around corners. Will the U2 battery stay the distance? And I have not tried to run myself over for at least two weeks.
ImageImage

Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Brief Report.
For reassurance this is not about my personal under garments. However, for the curious they are boxers from Sainsburys. In these financially stringent times I no longer purchase from M&S. This state has been brought about by the combined cost of the ST build and an engine and gearbox rebuild on the S.
The ST has never been in extensive stop start traffic so its behaviour was an unknown. Decided to take the short drive to Oxford and test the water. Driving around the city environs did not produce any adverse effects which was a nice surprise. Passed the "School of Brazillian Studies" which ostensibly is a department of the university. Always wondered what went on behind those doors. Were ladies, legs akimbo, getting a quick trim?
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Leaving Caffeine & Machine.
A very nice evening last week seeing my mates from the WestMidlands. Blessed with warm weather and sun. Some really excellent cars parked up including a recent RUF with shaved rain gutters, carbon roof and centre lock wheels. It had a very nice leather interior too. Mike Campion' s beautifully built car in attendance along with some very early 911s.
The ST started and performed without a hitch on the route to C&M (my inclination is to put S&M ....no idea why). The starting issues appear to be a thing of the past so what new gremlin would crop up?
Introduced myself briefly to 911hillclimber who said I had a doppelganger. Another unfortunate ugly git out there then. Start up on leaving took one turn of the key. Excellent news.
On the way back home switched on the lights. Nowt, nothing, da nada. So the car that keeps on giving was not finished with me yet. Arriving home and positioned the car ready to reverse into the garage. Managed to stall the engine so left a non running car to open the garage door. Returned to the car and turned the key. Zilch. Not even a click. Tried again. Starter motor made a pathetic effort to turn the engine over. Gradually the starter warmed to its task and put a bit more effort into the process and the engine started. High torque starter could be an issue?
Lights still not working...........

to be continued............

Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Leaving C&M
Not giving it "the beans" as the oil was not up to temperature. Video courtesy of my 'stalker' Vince who modified the very cheap exhaust silencer from one out to two out. //cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60ddbccda23 ... WA0002.mp4

Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

The lighting issue.........
Checked all fuses including the period SEV relays for the headlights. All seemed fine. Ferreted around behind the dash to see if any connections had come adrift. All good. Checked again to see if lights were functioning. Still not working. Decided to take the car to Autofarm and see what they could find. Left the car and got a phone call an hour later. "Lights are all working and we did not do anything" says a voice. Bugger says I. Collected the car and yes lights were all functioning normally. What is going on? We will have to wait and see. Am I imagining non functioning lights Is it the illegal substances imbibed in my youth finally having a detrimental effect? Who knows? Who cares?
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

An afternoon drive out via the scenic route to C&M with Dave OConnor who had not been to the venue before. Dave was in his very lovely 1970 ST. Attention to fine detail is certainly Dave's forte. Not many cars at C&M because of the Euro footy final. Some very nice split screen VWs and a nice sporting 356 SC. Fine warm weather and no rain. Always great to meet up with Dave.

My speedo is acting up again. Definately reading slow and sometimes the needle sticking again. Frustrating. Apart from that and the great fuel thirst the engine has, not helped by a lead weighted right foot, the car is running really well. I am more confident in the road holding abilities of the car and the Michelin TB 15s provide plenty of grip. They are quite soft 'sticky' tyres so don't expect a great deal of life out of them. The LSD (no not the drug) seems to prevent wheel spin on spirited take offs which is good news and should help tyre longevity a little. Plenty of feedback from the front wheels through the steering and front suspension seems a little more compliant than it was. The tendency for the front end to 'skip' sideways on very sharp bends at speed seems to have gone. Brakes have more bite and reasonable 'feel' although as standard S calipers they still leave something to be desired compared to modern brakes. Good but no cigar. However, the object of building the car was to replicate, as close as possible, the sound, feel and dynamics of a period ST. Generally happy. Although a house move to a smaller property means my 993 Targa has to go which takes the edge off, a bit, the joy of owning and driving the ST. Image

Rust Never Sleeps
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

Lovely looking cars there, Kirk and Dave.
Just hope the bloke painting my car has managed to get the yellow out of the spray gun!!

Back in the day we used to run Michelin TBs on the rally cars (when they were a lot cheaper than now) on the premise that they would get you out of a situation that you really shouldn't have got into in the first place! They usually did! You can lean on them quite a lot
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

keith fellowes wrote:Lovely looking cars there, Kirk and Dave.
Just hope the bloke painting my car has managed to get the yellow out of the spray gun!!

Back in the day we used to run Michelin TBs on the rally cars (when they were a lot cheaper than now) on the premise that they would get you out of a situation that you really shouldn't have got into in the first place! They usually did! You can lean on them quite a lot
Thanks Keith. The bloke painting your car will get most of the yellow out of his gun so you should get a unique paint effect. Saw your shell last week. It looks a lot better than it did.
Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

The Classic Motor Hub Bibury.
The above is on the remains of a WW2 air field opened in 1940. There are two principle buildings for car sales, a very comfortable retro meeting room with coffee / tea bar, a shop also with drinks and ice creams and a food outlet for burgers and the like. The place was especially opened up for PCGB region 31. Most of the PCGB members arrived in water cooled cars from 996 onwards, in very sober colours, so the ST looked a bit out of place. Eventually a very nice white 356 Speedster arrived and then a friend in his SWB 911S soft window Targa. Food, beverages and wine available for a not inconsiderable £25 all in. The place is extremely quiet being bounded by farm land and very small roads. It is a few miles outside Bibury which is a very picturesque village with a river running through it. It is a popular tourist spot with a trout farm and "catch your own". I think you do this with a net rather than doning scuba gear. I fancy a harpoon gun: far more spectacular.
A large variety of cars for sale at the Motor Hub included: Fiat 600 works race car which I fancied but at £55k it will not be in my garage anytime soon, Jaguar XK150S, XK140, TVR Trident prototype, 'works' MG K3, vintage 3 litre Bentley 'hot rod' with 8 litre engine and 400BHP, vintage Lagonda, 1930s BMWs etc. Lovely cars, at what seemed to me, rich prices.
This was an opportunity for a drive and a meet up with people I have not seen for a couple of years.
The Motor Hub is worth a visit: the staff are extremely friendly and there are some good local villages and roads to meander through to make a trip worthwhile.
The drive was a leisurely one down the A34, A40 to Burford, then the A4452 to Bibury followed by a single track road to the venue. Light rain and surprise that the windscreen wipers actually did a good job. I was hoping for a bit of a deluge to wash the accumulated flies and sh*t off the bodywork. It was not to be. Decent roads with reasonable surfaces and not too much traffic. On the return, the start up was watched by around 40 PCGB members. Embarrassment time? Start up issues? Pah! Seem to be the thing of the past? Famous last words. Indeed I have ordered a jump start pack just in case. My insurance policy! On the return journey went a slightly different route and joined the A40 at Lechlade. This was a bit of a mistake as the traffic was heavy and eventually resulted in a standstill for 15 minutes and then stop start for another 10 minutes. This is the first time the ST has been in these traffic conditions. It was a warm day of about 24 degrees but even in slow moving and stop start conditions the oil temperature stayed at 180. Good news. Clearly, the S oil console is doing its job along with the twin front oil coolers.
Although the gear change is much better, as I have mentioned before, it is still hard going and A Schwarzenegger might find it easier than my 70 ++ old arm. The speedo certainly takes it's time for a few miles before it decides to do anything. It will have to get fixed but I have been told that the best person for the job is in The Netherlands, takes forever, is expensive and grumpy into the bargain. Am I put off by this litany. Too right I am. I pray for a miracle that the speedo will sort itself out. Some hope. Got home and pulled the bonnet release. There was a noise from the bonnet and it moved a smidge. Not enough of a smidge. A bit of Anglo Saxon swearing ensued. Forced a couple of fingers under the lid and it came open. Phew! Why has this element of the car suddenly decided to be an issue? Ah! The car that keeps on giving.
Next event the Silverstone Classic. Always look forward to it.

ImageImage

Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Thanks for the assessment of The Classic Motor Hub & its environs - timely as I'm heading there next Sunday for 'Coffee & Classics'.

Glad to hear that your car's erratic starting issues seem to have been resolved & that the car is largely behaving itself ... :cheers:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

Thanks for the assessment of The Classic Motor Hub & its environs - timely as I'm heading there next Sunday for 'Coffee & Classics'.

Glad to hear that your car's erratic starting issues seem to have been resolved & that the car is largely behaving itself ... :cheers:

I would be interested in your impression of the place Andy.
Rust Never Sleeps
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Thanks for the assessment of The Classic Motor Hub & its environs - timely as I'm heading there next Sunday for 'Coffee & Classics'.....
....me too :)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Bit of a problem.
I have just moved house from something quite expansive with garaging for three cars to a small property with a single garage. It is drastic down sizing in readiness for my dotage. The garage is currently full of "period" furniture as is the sizeable conservatory. Furniture for sale if anyone is interested?
So no garage and therefore three Porsches are stored at Autofarm. Be patient I will get to the nub of the story shortly. I asked Autofarm to retrieve the ST from their store on Friday for pick up first thing Saturday morning. The intention was to use the car to get to Classics at the Castle. Friday afternoon I get a call from Autofarm. Your ST has an electrical fault. Actually it came close to being a BBQ. Reg, Autofarm's long time employee for car transport, was reversing the car off the transported when the engine cut out and smoke started to fill the cabin. Reg jumped out of the ST and shouted "FIRE". The car was soon attended by eight employees waving fire extinguishers. Reg had by now calmed and used the battery cut off switch on the dash. This saved the day. So whilst there was a lot of smoke there was no fire. Which goes contrary to the old adage. Subsequently, I asked Reg how he felt about the incident? The reply concerned his sphincter which he said was usually the size of a bottle top ( too much information for some I know) but during the potential conflagration it grew to the size of a dust bin lid.
Due to the above the ST was unable to make it to Hedingham but being a fortunate individual I had the 1970 S to use.
The initial theory was that the electrical short was in the tunnel. Maybe the main loom had been incorrectly installed and the bottom of the gear shifter had come into contact with the loom. Subsequent investigation, it seems that the brake light switch, mounted on the bias brake set up, was the cause of a near disaster. How much of the main wiring loom got fried and crispy we do not know yet as work is ongoing as I type. So the story has some way to run yet.
Obviously, it is something of a financial blow on 'the car that keeps on giving' but I satisfy myself that it could have been a total burn out. One observable wire has changed to a nice black colour. This wire runs through the front bulk head and past the twin fuel pumps and fuel tank which had 60 litres of fuel in it. So in some respects I have had a lucky escape. And I am thankful that a battery cut out was on the dash top and despite the enlarged sphincter Reg used it.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps