Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Thanks Wayne. Ordered a Noco yesterday.
Rust Never Sleeps
matteo68
I luv DDK!

1972 ST Clone

Post by matteo68 »

Which one did you order Kirk? Genius 5, same as Wayne’s?

And do you need a charger for each battery in a standard twin battery car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

matteo68 wrote:Which one did you order Kirk? Genius 5, same as Wayne’s?

And do you need a charger for each battery in a standard twin battery car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt,
Genius 10. One charger only will deal with two batteries although only one battery on the ST.
Rust Never Sleeps
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Thanks Kirk. 2 (Hagen) batteries on GeLo though, according to the ACO Carnet de Pesage, so 2 for me!
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

So the ST was retrieved from storage from Autofarm today. It has not been used for months but things associated with the car have been going on.
Autofarm steam cleaned the underside of the car to see how the paint work was holding up: there is no Schultz ( undersesl) on the floor pan and only a minimum coating on the underside of the front wings and rear quarters. This is very much like the first 500 lightweight RS and what I believe STs would have had. The idea is / was to save weight. Very little paint had been chipped off on the floor pan: only in a few locations and this was attended to. Autofarm have been applying a honey coloured wax to the underside of a number of early 911s ( and more modern ones). This was has a similar colour to that applied by Porsche. It remains relatively soft so should resist chipping off but will, I suspect, retain some road dirt. I had a clear hard product ( not used by Autofarm before) applied to the underside of the ST which is a bit on the shiny side but should keep the underside of the car relatively clean and help preserve the paint on the floor pan and under the wings.

Although it is generally thought STs used 7" x 15" ( small centre hole) wheels, as per the Porsche Sports Purpose hand book, on the front of the car, there is evidence that some later iterations (1972) may have used 8" wide front wheels on racing versions. Finding early small centre hole 8 x 15 is difficult. However, I have acquired a pair dated February 1971 which is very early on in production and I believe only offered initially for racing. So I have been spending time restoring these to the "early finish" these wheels are likely to have had. This consists of quite dull "petals" and evidence of rough finishing on the sides of the petals. So far I have stripped and polished the wheels but have got no further. One of the wheels had a slight localised bend in the rim but I had this straightened by a company in Wolverhampton who have been dealing with alloy wheels for more than 40 years. The place is no palace but these people know what they are doing.
Next step is finishing the petal faces and sides. It's a long process but worth it in the end.
And so the ST will hopefully be making an appearance at Classics at the Castle for the first time. It has not been washed in readiness and fuel consumption is still appalling. And it has one odd, non matching, front wheel on it but we have to draw a veil over the reason for that anomaly to protect the guilty. For once it was not me. A couple of bits of trim have come loose as the impact glue has given up on its task and these will get sorted at some point. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rust Never Sleeps
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Good lord, a pair of early 8” rims Kirk?!? Mighty impressive to find those!
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Yes very fortunate and €1000 the pair so in the scheme of things reasonably priced.
Rust Never Sleeps
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Extremely!!
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Friday the car had started easily and ran well over about 25 miles. Saturday was the departure for Classics at the Castle. Unusually going a day early to meet up with a few friends, a meal and a tipple and overnight stay at a quiet pub 16 miles from the event. Saturday around 12.00 midday to depart exercise my usual routine: ignition on to let the fuel pump do its thing, lever down to engage fuel enrichment on the MFI pump and pull up the hand throttle a little, seat harness on and turn the key. Several attempts later not a sign of the engine firing, no cough no splitter nothing. OK wait a little and try again. Lots of tries with the same result. Began to think it was never going to burst into life. The battery was definately feeling the strain and was not now turning over the engine as fast as it was. Then a reluctant start and managed to keep the engine turning. Just when I had given up hope and thought I was not going to get to CatC. Relief. Confident in this car I am not. It did not run well for the first 8 miles or so then seemed to sense my despair and sorted itself out.
So was I going to make the 108 miles to the pub? Assumed I would not. The route was boring: A44, Oxford ring road, A40, M40, M25 M11 and A120 then some minor roads approaching Thaxsted according to my satnav, actually a piece of paper with scribbled directions, as the power to the socket to the satnav in the ST decided it was not going to play.
I was aware of my tension for the first 30 miles just waiting for something to go wrong. In addition looking at the fuel gauge as it started to move quickly downwards. How much fuel would I use? Would I find a fuel station if necessary? I did not feel at all happy and certaiy was not "bonding" with the car. After a while I relaxed.
Motorway and A120 dispatched. Heading around a sharpish bend, on what I thought was a country road and exceeding the speed limit, there before me is an officer of the law with a speed gun in hand at the far end of a layby. Bugger nicked I thought so swifty pulled into the layby. Slowly got out of the car and approached the officer. " Sorry to trouble you" say I, "Could you tell me where Monk Street is please". "No idea " the officer says. " Sorry to have troubled you" I reply and start to walk back to the car. Almost reached the car and I hear "Oi wait a minute". Nicked I am thinking. Turn around and start to walk back to the officer. He says " Its two miles down the road". I thank him and walk back to the car. Relief. Not nicked.
A good evening was had and although the place will not be getting a Michelin * any time this millenium it was good to be with my mates.
To be continued......... Spoiler. shite happens and I do my 007 impression.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

BILLY BEAN wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 pmI do my 007 impression.
Sorry I missed that. Are you sure an Aston is going to be more reliable?
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

inaglasshouse wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:49 pm
BILLY BEAN wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 pmI do my 007 impression.
Sorry I missed that. Are you sure an Aston is going to be more reliable?
Richard, there is probably not much between the ST and an Aston in reliability terms at the moment. And I have owned two Astons and they were both appalling : for the absence of doubt that is appalling not appealing.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

ST is fixable though... I hope you get the niggles sorted soon so can forget about them and just enjoy the car.
I'm on a run of decent luck at the moment, including the 356 which came back from PRS feeling properly fettled (and has been faultless since). It can't last!
Cheers, R.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

inaglasshouse wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 pm ST is fixable though... I hope you get the niggles sorted soon so can forget about them and just enjoy the car.
I'm on a run of decent luck at the moment, including the 356 which came back from PRS feeling properly fettled (and has been faultless since). It can't last!
Cheers, R.
Quite right Richard. The fix will be sorted in a few days. I tend to look ahead and not dwell on issues.
Good to hear you are happy with the 356. Would love to see it.
Regards
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hi Kirk, I just read all 23 pages of your entertaining thread. You had me in tears with the dead birds comment earlier on. Sorry to hear it hasn’t been a smooth journey (are they ever?) but it is good to read that things are getting better now.

Re your battery problem, you may have had the wrong setting on the ctek charger or have had the wrong type of charger. The “normal” setting is for regular wet 12v batteries and gel batteries. The odyssey is an AGM battery so needs to be set to “AGM”. Probably worth checking the NOCO replacement charger is set correctly.

Matteo, The two batteries on regular early 911s are in parallel so you only need one charger for the car.

Gitesh
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

'23 pages of your entertaining thread'

It's always worth remembering how much the forum benefits from such great content. I know it takes time to document stuff and post pictures but it is really is appreciated - in bucket loads
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk