Fire Suppression System

If any traders wish to advertise parts for sale they are most welcome. See announcement first!
Heritage Parts
DDK Fanatic

Fire Suppression System

Post by Heritage Parts »

It's always good to be prepared, and this Fire Suppression system takes less than 10 minutes to install and could save your pride and joy.

The blaze cut T series system is a simple effective way of having fire protection in small enclosures. The system consist of a heat sensitive tube made from a special plastic which is closed with stainless steel fittings on each end. The tube has both storage and detection functions which mean the extinguishing agent is stored in the tube and no additional large cylinder type extinguisher is required. This makes it a lot neater when fitting to an engine bay.

The system operates automatically by detecting higher temperatures. When the temperature in the enclosure reaches a critical threshold the tube melts down at the point where the temperature is the highest which then melts the tube creating a hole which releases the entire extinguishing agent stored in the tube. The tube is fitted around the engine lid.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... ystem.html

Here is a short video to show it in action:
https://youtu.be/iePku-2jh7Y

Don't forget, DDK Members also get 10% off of this and all other Porsche Products (Exc sale items).
Yellow491
Married to the DDK

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by Yellow491 »

Interesting until i saw the videos,it seems you need a fair fire underneath the lid before it goes off.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hard to conclude much from that knackered combi, but I think the videos that start with cars in decent condition show that it works pretty well.

In an old 911, it looks so me, you might be in for an engine rebuild, replace all soft stuff in the engine bay (sound pad, hoses, loom etc) and repaint or replacement of the deck lid. Not much else. A lot better than a fully scorched car...

Since my entire fuel system was recently built by a muppet (me), I think I might get one.... at least until the teething trouble stage is over...
Heritage Parts
DDK Fanatic

Post by Heritage Parts »

Yellow491 wrote:Interesting until i saw the videos,it seems you need a fair fire underneath the lid before it goes off.
Hi Yellow491, Thanks for your comment. This video shows the insensitivity of the fire, but this isn't something that you would normally see. You do see how quickly it spreads and how quick it is extinguished though.

But if you did have a fire and you didn't know about it whilst driving/stationary how much extra damage will be caused by not having preventative measures in place?

@Inaglasshouse that picture is devastating and i'm sure you are much more capable than you give yourself credit for.