912 - Sympathetic refresh

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

jury
I need to get out more!

912 - Sympathetic refresh

Post by jury »

Here we go again, though hopefully not as involving this time.

I have had my 912 for almost 15 years now, it was my first adventure into the Porsche world and in this time we have been through a lot together. Afew Classic Lemans trips, a number of Spa trips, various weekend blasts, US, English and German registrations and not to mention acouple of Atlantic container crossings.

Seeing as the other cars in the Garage are pretty much operational, the time has come to give the little 912 some much deserved attention. Gerneral plan is to go through head to toe and give a thorough clean and refresh.....whilst trying not to poke too hard at the rusty parts.

Since owning the car it has always had a healthy appetite for Oil, and there has been various attempts at patching a hole in the drivers side floor. These are the two priorties, though a few other areas will be addressed whilst the engine is out and carpet removed. Engine finally let go last year, I suspect a ring or valve...lets see !

As it was...

Purchase 2006 US

UK

Germany

Lemans

Family friendly

Nurburgring

Spa

Back to the US

I have considered selling it afew times, mostly on the long slogs back from Lemans when all I wanted was to have more power on the Autobahn...but I have always gone back too asking what I would replace it with. I am very grateful now to have the ModRod and the 964, which as lead me now to refocus on the 912 and take it back to its somewhat "stock" glory.

Current plan is to keep it Polo Red (It has a hint of orange, which I suspect is down to the age of the paint)...

I am mildly obsessed with the Alfaholics GTA-R...I like the look of stock, but with just a hint of sportiness...

Would love to have a black SWB and I have considered a respray...we'll see, but think this takes the refresh to a complete other level!...

Onwards ! :)
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
jury
I need to get out more!

Re: 912 - Sympathetic refresh

Post by jury »

Engine out, Gearbox split. Gearbox was cleaned last year, before moving house...hence its shininess !

I knew that Garage wouldn't stay clean for long :)

Begin to assess Engine bay cleaning. I am sure the thin layer of Oil over everything has acted as a something sort of protection over the years.

# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
2017 Coleman CT200U

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Best of luck Chris, if I were you I’d stick that sound deadening pad back on right now and pretend you never looked Image

As I mentioned on Insta hopefully you can get it back on the road without it spiralling into the dark place. Image

jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Gary71 wrote:Best of luck Chris, if I were you I’d stick that sound deadening pad back on right now and pretend you never looked Image

As I mentioned on Insta hopefully you can get it back on the road without it spiralling into the dark place. Image
Thanks Gary, love that shot of the car...C2C, my first DDK trip. My dad and I did East to West and back East again...He still can't work out my we wanted to drive over Wrynose :) Great memories !
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
2017 Coleman CT200U

C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

Hi Chris, easy on with dismantling, after 5 years and many thousands spent mine still looks worse than the day l bought it, just wished l’d have fitted the rear screen and left well alone!
Lovely pics and an interesting read
All the best and hope you continue in a positive path without any nasty surprises
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Window frames out and old, original seals removed. Explains why window rattled abit...

Further investigation into bubbles at bottom of the drivers side door. I am guessing this is also to do with the old seals !

I found random washers, coins and unidentified objects. Looks like the major bubbles have been patched over at some point, with a liberal amount of filler. Best option was to cut out completely and plan a new patch. The drivers door has been resprayed at some point (I am guessing when the original repair was done), it is ever so slightly a different shade to the rest of the car. I will have some fresh paint mixed and resprayed once repaired.

In the meantime, new frames seals fitted, including vent seals, Main seals are the 1-piece aftermarket version, I fitted these on the ModRod and work fine...

# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
2017 Coleman CT200U

jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Removal of the door at least allows easier access...

When I bought the car I knew it had some floor damage. I have misplaced the photo, but the previous owner had repaired it with a Diet Coke can (skillfully squashed flat) and some filler.....actually quite a lot of filler ! I lived with this for afew years, only attempting a quick fix when I moved to the UK to pass the MOT screw driver poke test. I fiberglassed over the area (don't judge) and cut a piece of sheet metal to act as a floorboard...worked "fine". Also got me through the German TUV.

Pedal area was abit of a mess...

However, a decent clean up has revealed a surprising amount of fresh metal on the floor. Concern is around the accelerator pedal area, but afew strong screw driver pokes/hits and it appears strong. Area around master cylinder mount is ok. I have ordered a new front floor section and will cut out a new patch and weld in.

# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
2017 Coleman CT200U

jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Passenger side seems solid, just abit of surface rust...

Clean up and rust convertor applied, Also used opportunity to clean out transmission tunnel and bash out some dents in the floor pan from previous incorrect jacking (not me!)

Also rebuilt pedal cluster whilst taken out. Fresh black satin Rustoluem and new bushing kit fitted...

# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
2017 Coleman CT200U

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

What a cool life that car's had 8)

Best of luck with the project Chris and thanks for sharing :)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nice work Chris
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
KS

Post by KS »

Looks like we've been doing exactly the same thing recently! Derusted floorpanels? Check! Bashing out dents? Check! Rebuild/rebush pedals? Check! The only bit I've omitted is uncovering a glassfibre floor repair! :lol:

Messy work, but very satisfying. I watch with interest. ;)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Heritage Parts
DDK Fanatic

Post by Heritage Parts »

Amazing, Love to follow these builds. Looking forward to the updates. Those original window front frames are difficult to replace and yours look in good condition. Hopefully there are no more 'surprises'
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

You must be bored Chris. Good luck. I'm subscribed.

Will you have a go at the engine?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Another fun thread to check out. Best of luck with it Chris.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Back at it...

Finally cut out the rusted drivers side floor...Only taken 14 years to get around to this :shock:

Measure many times, cut once...

And eventually time to start up the welder...Forgotten how much "fun" welding is...The smell, The heat, The noise. Test welds done, gas presssure adjusted...Ready to go...

# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
2017 Coleman CT200U