Polo for daughter

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

veryporky
DDK forever

Polo for daughter

Post by veryporky »

Apologies for the hum drum content but I know there are a lot of vw buffs on here. We've had a couple of mk 3 6n polos and have found the reliability to be poor, gearbox and clutch problems, now we have an electrical problem. Thinking of going back to a mark 2, not that many about these days. Seem to have achieved classic status.

These were basic and very reliable plus easy to work on. However the classic bread vans seem to be £1500 and up. Seen a couple of mark 2 facelifts about but only projects so hard to understand if the facelifts are cheaper, anybody with recent experience of early Polos on ddk :?: Just trying to understand the market to get my daughter sorted so Dial a Dad taxi co gets some relief :wink:
Keith
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Polo for daughter

Post by 911hillclimber »

Might not help, but a Skoda Citigo instead?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

Mine lost the detent between first and reverse and I kept bumping into stuff going in to the wrong one.

Other than that I ragged it round for many thousand of miles, never services it and didn’t kill it.

That was 15 years ago tho. Is guess rust is now your biggest worry.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I had an S coupe, albeit the poor man’s 1.1 rather than the more common 1.3S.

It had an Irmischer back box (I was 19!) and apart from that bone stock. Revved to 7k, and in those days I did that just about everywhere! Like Sam, never serviced or maintained, had a very happy 3 years thrashing the wotsits of it. Sold it for what I paid too if I remember. Loved that car, and preferred the looks to the bread van, though would be even harder to find a Coupe now I guess....

I still occasionally think about getting a later G40 Coupe (the one that got away) just for fun
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Nige

Post by Nige »

Had loads of mk2 and mk3 Polos back in the day. All pretty reliable then but not sure how they would fair now. Our ownership was around the late 80's early 90's and although mechanically great at the time rust did show on some and they would have been only 4-5 years old then. Most ran on carbs so would expect those to be playing up by now, although later mk3 moved to EFI. Our last Polo ownership was a G40, it felt like the fastest car in the world.

Retro rides scene is probably keeping the prices up and I'd imagine they're in the classic car constant tinkering maintenance zone.

Have you looked at Lupos, Audi A2s or Fiat Pandas or Suzuki Swifts?
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Out the good old Skoda fabia?
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

I've had a few, my main run around on and off for a few years was a coupe S with a 3f Gt engine. I had a very short spell with a G40 coupe plus couple of breadvans. Think I sold my last one around 2010. I loved mine and probably still have some spares kicking about. Handling was always a bit questionable at speed but you can get aftermarket sub frames which are supposed to help a lot.
Another vote for the Audi A2 as an alternative. I'm on my second at the moment and love it.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
KS

Post by KS »

And another vote for the A2 - hard to find a good one these days but worth the effort. Miss mine.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

A2 all day, every day - loved ours - they make a great base for an EV conversion too. Our son had an indestructible 6N for his Uni wheels - even head on into a badger at speed couldn't kill it, or the badger. Those angry buggers are hard as nails.
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

We have a Toyota Yaris low insurance and runs well. I would recommend that

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Our 3 all learned to drive in our 1970 Beetle. After it failed its MoT, we stored it, and it's currently waiting for blasting, welding and spraying, 15+ years later...... :roll:
We first of all had a couple of 1.4 Golf Mk3's which were great, although one rusted badly because of previous accident damage. That was replaced by a 2006 Polo 1.4 in 2009, and our youngest daughter still has that, which has never yet let her down, despite (or perhaps because of !!!) being regularly thrashed up and down the motorway between Yorkshire, Cornwall and Somerset. For MoT last month, it needed a new exhaust, rear brake caliper, discs and pads, and a number plate light bulb, about £400 including labour, for what I regard as wear and tear items.
Great little car, it has done them well. :)
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Don't forget the SEAT versions.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

SEAT Ibiza - system Porsche that's a thought! Never did understand what magic porsche worked on what I assume must have been the mk 2 polo 8v unit.

I did have a string of 80s 90s VWs in period (2 Golf Rallyes, g40 I raced, Jetta, mk 1 GTI, 3 mk 2 polos, one which was very tatty bought for £80 and used for commuting UK to Brussels and never missed a beat). Had just been considering the prospects of a a mk 2 polo for my daughter. When I was her age I was driving around in 50s and 60s beetles which were very reliable and about the same age as a mk 2 polo would be now. Used to buy them with lapsed mot and drive thousands of miles.

Ideally I'd buy a mk 2 that had run out of ticket but can't find anything :(
Keith