987 Cayman S

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: 987 Cayman S

Post by DustyM »

hot66 wrote:out of interest Jon, how many hours went into the colour change ?
As it's my own car and I did it myself, I didn't log it accurately but around 120hrs on prep and paint ( It was a very straight car to begin with), on top of that approx 40hrs strip down and 70hrs odd re assembly, also had to use windscreen company to refit and remove front and rear screens.
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

A few mechanical upgrades were next on the list.

Replacement gearshift cables, the factory version has a known weak point on the ends.

A factory short shift kit was an option when new but not fitted to my car so I rectified that.

Light weight flywheel and clutch gets rid of the dual mass factory flywheel.

And a set of KW lowering springs, reduces the slightly too large a gap between tyre and arch.

Last edited by DustyM on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Oh and as requested by my advisor Sam, a set of Black alloys. In this case Racelite by ATS.

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

We should get married or something.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

So with the side decals applied that was the car finished. Just in time for lockdown :roll:

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

What a great looking car
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Sam

Post by Sam »

Almost perfection.

The only other thing I’d done on this car in my head is a black decal under the side vents to visually extend them down to the bottom of the PORSCHE decals. Making them look more like the 981 vents.

I think it would lower the car visually.

Though it may look shite.

Otherwise I’m happy. Thanks.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I think it looks fantastic, ride height has made a huge difference.

I must confess, I like a rear wheel arch protector too on late cars, but might be OTT with a black vent. Need a photoshop expert.

I love it though throughout

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Which shortshift / gearchange cable combo did you go for? I'm contemplating some heavy maintenance on my 997.1 in the near future, including a new clutch. I always thought that the feel of the gear lever was a bit lacking and imprecise. Its the only 6 speed manual car I have driven extensively where I have to concentrate a lot to make the gearshifts work for me. I'm assuming that a short shift upgrade will sort this, but its a fair chunk to spend without knowing what the result feels like.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Not sure if the short shift narrows the 'H' pattern width wise of just the fore/aft throw?

The stock change I have on my 2009 Boxster is a bit stiff/sticky, but I've never driven another Boxster to compare.

Zuffenhaus simply tell me my car is really nice and very sweet and they drive lots of these 987/981's.

Best bit of this change are the seat inserts for me. Wish my seat centres lifted out!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

rhd racer wrote:I like a rear wheel arch protector too on late cars,
I do have clear "sharks fins" on the rear arches to protect from chips. Don't think it would look right in black though
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Kneeslider wrote:Which shortshift / gearchange cable combo did you go for? I'm contemplating some heavy maintenance on my 997.1 in the near future, including a new clutch. I always thought that the feel of the gear lever was a bit lacking and imprecise. Its the only 6 speed manual car I have driven extensively where I have to concentrate a lot to make the gearshifts work for me. I'm assuming that a short shift upgrade will sort this, but its a fair chunk to spend without knowing what the result feels like.
I fitted the factory version. It does lessen the movement in both directions as all a short shift does is alter the pivot point of the gear stick. Change the cables at the same time.
Phill

Post by Phill »

DustyM wrote:
As it's my own car and I did it myself, I didn't log it accurately but around 120hrs on prep and paint ( It was a very straight car to begin with), on top of that approx 40hrs strip down and 70hrs odd re assembly, also had to use windscreen company to refit and remove front and rear screens.
Jon, is this right? That's 15 work days on prep and paint, 5 to strip down and 9 on reassembly. At £50 an hour that would be £11500. Would that be typical of say an IB 911?
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Phill wrote:
DustyM wrote:
Jon, is this right? That's 15 work days on prep and paint, 5 to strip down and 9 on reassembly. At £50 an hour that would be £11500. Would that be typical of say an IB 911?
I could probably have done it in half the time, but then it would only have been half the quality.....
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Excellent project to demonstrate your skills to the newer car crowd; I bet you get inquiries and work based on it. John