Umbrella handbrake

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Umbrella handbrake

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi all.

Does anyone know if the cable that comes out of the umbrella handle is replaceable?

Doing a project at the moment and the cable had a lot of what appeared to be surface rust. Just cleaned it up with a wire brush and the cable has frayed. Not sure if the cable threads into the hex bar section.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Re: Umbrella handbrake

Post by Mike Smith »

Yours may be Pinned in ?

Or Options

1) buy another Good Used Handle with a decent Cable from PRS -- Handles styles vary depending on year

2) - Drill it out and Solder in a new piece of Cable -- Be aware that the cables are wound in different directions for RHD and LHD Cars
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Thanks for that Mike.

The cable is definitely not pinned in the hex bar. It appears the cable crimp is machined down from the hex bar itself. Then the cable is crimped in place. Making it all one piece. Bit of a bugger.

So this is what I’m going to do. Cut of the crimp section were it meets the hex bar. Then drill and tap the hex bar for a m6 thread. I’m then going to have a cable made with the correct end at the lever end and have threaded end at the other.

Will keep you updated
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Reminder

Make sure you get a cable that is wound in the same direction as the the existing one

The Clamp and Release mechanism relies on this fact
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Dont want to take it for granted. So maybe a daft question. As your the man in the know is the cable wound the same for left hand and right hand?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

No Rich, as I said in my first post - The cables are DIFFERENT for LHD Cars and RHD Cars

However, you have an example so that is all you have to replicate - assuming that it was the correct cable in the first place

I assume that you have the actual locking mechanism apart?
You will notice that one of the parts is marked R on one side and L on the other -just another example that these units vary, depending which driving configuration Porsche built them to

The Handbrake cables relies on being twisted for the Locking and Release mechanism to work correctly

Cables in General
This is not a subject that I have studied in any depth, but I dismembered a cable years ago and also found that the Inner Cables are wound in the opposite direction to the Outer Cables
I guess under normal circumstance, it makes for a stronger cable that will not fray when twisted
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com