67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: 67 912 my own take

Post by yoda »

Welcome and a great looking project. Based on what else is in your workshop, this could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for posting
The force is strong in this one ......
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Didn’t come from Steve, got these ones from the French Riviera. The ones from Steve would have been easier as I know him anyway :)
‘67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”
‘68 VW Bay Westy Campmobile - very original family camper.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

yoda wrote:Welcome and a great looking project. Based on what else is in your workshop, this could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for posting
Thanks mate, the correct bonnet badge from you was a useful addition Image
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

So part collecting wise I now have almost everything for the car to go back together.

Found a set of correct early headlights from a friend. After having fitted some later yellow lens glass to convert the ones I had to RHD. So those came back out and the early sloping glass sealed beam units went in.

Got hold of a full set of green gauges as all were missing.

Have also managed to get a key cut to the code from the door locks so all locks and ignition now work off one key.

Then figured out I have a mismatch of glass, with green windscreen and rear window, and quarter lights but clear door and pop outs. So hunt began for green glass then. Managed to find some more with a friend who has a lot of Porsche parts available and door glass from a contact on Instagram so that was a good start Image

Managed to get a lot of small parts I was missing like rubbers and all updated bushes from Rose Passion. So lots to get on with once out of lockdown.
Last edited by Spit Nolan on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

I decided I couldn’t live with the black on the rear end, but I also didn’t want to do it ivory, as my car is already multiple shades of it and I like the look of some mismatched panels.

So I painted the decklid in a shade of Grey from the VW colour charts as I had some, then thought I really like that....

Moved the car onto the ramp so could begin, the. Thought I’ll paint the bonnet to match as it was the wrong shade of white white rather than ivory, and why not.

Finally managed to get some light ivory mixed up, so put the rear panel back to the right colour.

Little bit of aging done to the paint so it didn’t look too clean..

Have scotched the grey down too, and will be aging that to suit.

My plan is to detrim the car and lose the awful front bumper over riders, always disliked those.

I started adding the battery cut off and extinguisher pull, the stickers are just temporary, will be painted and aged by a good friend of mine at some point, along with some other touches that I want to do.

Managed to get a load of bits from my good friend at Buttys Bits, so all gearbox and engine mounts etc, so all be able to install all this in soon. Check out his website for some awesome stuff.

I had none of the mounts for the gauges, so Simon also said I’ll reproduce them, so he also supplied me with those too. Legend!

Just another little bit that I wanted, suits my taste. Without the over riders they will be good anyway Image

That’s as far as I’ve got now, and until can get back down there I can’t go any further.

Sure some people won’t appreciate me not going stock with it, but it owes me very little money all in, including the wheels. So thought happy going my own route.

Need some advise on tyres though, to be able to run on the 7” wheels.
Will be going lower, at least Euro Spec but not too low. As pointed out I may have a bit of trouble fitting them on SWB car. Although I know it can be done as friend runs them on his and have seen plenty done.
So any suggestions on size and make/model, for a period look.

I’d love Pirelli CN36’s but I worry 185/70 15’s will be a bit too small for the wheels. Unfortunately they aren’t available in 195/65
Ideas please Image
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

I have 195/60 x 15 - not too low profile.

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Ralph wrote:I have 195/60 x 15 - not too low profile.

Yours is one of the cars I have saved in my bank of cars running Porsche Pattern Torques for inspiration. It’s awesome mate, love it! 60 profile could work, what make and model tyre is it?
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Not exactly period but I have 195/60 x 15" Bridgestone Turanza T001.

I was thinking of trying a 185/70 x 15" for more of a vintage look but was worried about the taller tyre having clearance issues. I may buy just 1 tyre and check it out before I commit to a set.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

I have some very original and worn out CN36’s on the cookie cutters, was planning on swapping one over to trial fit. Will let you know, but that of course won’t happen until can get to a tyre place. Wish we had bought our own tyre machine.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I guess that you've seen this picture of a SWB with 7 x 15" Torq Thrusts? I think that this was running 185/70s

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Ralph wrote:I guess that you've seen this picture of a SWB with 7 x 15" Torq Thrusts? I think that this was running 185/70s

Yep got that pic. That’s good to know, I will try the Pirelli 185/70 on one and see what it’s like.
Only a cool £1k for a set of 4 new ones though :?
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Great project. In your intro you mention kids and belts, I used a set of TRS 4 point harnesses in the back of my 356 for my son at appx that age. They are made specially for Greenpower (electric racing cars for schools) and are a pukka race harness but in kids size. My son has now outgrown them (5'11" age 14!) I took them to the swapmeet @ £40 the set but noone spotted/wanted them there. Ill include the postage if youre interested. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Winston Teague wrote:Great project. In your intro you mention kids and belts, I used a set of TRS 4 point harnesses in the back of my 356 for my son at appx that age. They are made specially for Greenpower (electric racing cars for schools) and are a pukka race harness but in kids size. My son has now outgrown them (5'11" age 14!) I took them to the swapmeet @ £40 the set but noone spotted/wanted them there. Ill include the postage if youre interested. W

Sounds good, Thank you, PM me a couple of pics if you can, so I can see if I can make them work. I think I have to get a seat in there as my daughter is only 2, even though she is tall laws state she has to be in a proper seat for another year and a half ish.
Sam McMahon
DDK Fanatic

Post by Sam McMahon »

Looking good Gareth! 8)
1967 Porsche 912
1963 Karmann Ghia
Instagram @samjmcmahon
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Sam McMahon wrote:Looking good Gareth! 8)

Cheers Sam! Yours going to be in paint soon??